Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jmsaul
Topic Author

OSX: "User/Pass OK but read permission denied"

Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:12 pm

Please help. All of a sudden, I'm getting this message (User/Pass OK but read permission denied) when I try to access the share I've been using on my OSX Mac for, well, since they still made HD1000s.

I haven't deliberately changed anything. The only thing I can think of is that I might have installed a security update patch. In the past, those have done lovely things like turn off Windows File Sharing -- I checked that this time, and it's up, so the problem is something else. I've also checked file permissions, and the account the Roku uses has Read/Write to its own home directory and Read to where all the media files are stored.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.11. (I can't go to 10.5 yet because I'll lose access to files created by a legacy OS9 application -- FrameMaker -- so I have to convert them to something else before I do.)

jmsaul
Topic Author

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:52 pm

[crickets chirping]

In that case, anyone want to suggest an alternative device, since this HD1000 that I just had the power supply repaired on is now a useless chunk of garbage since it won't talk to my Macs?

chackett

Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:07 pm

jmsaul wrote:
[crickets chirping]

In that case, anyone want to suggest an alternative device, since this HD1000 that I just had the power supply repaired on is now a useless chunk of garbage since it won't talk to my Macs?

Hmmm....I'm having the same issues since I went on vacation and came back. Could it be related to an OS update (I'm running Tiger too)? I haven't been able to get Leopard to work with the PB, so I'm still running Tiger, but it's been fine up until now. Perhaps it's time to roll back to 10.4.10?
Roku HD1000 Rev B
Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma
Artison Portrait LCR
Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR
Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V2500
Motorola DCT-6412
Home Theater Master MX-3000

jmsaul
Topic Author

Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:12 pm

chackett wrote:
Hmmm....I'm having the same issues since I went on vacation and came back. Could it be related to an OS update (I'm running Tiger too)? I haven't been able to get Leopard to work with the PB, so I'm still running Tiger, but it's been fine up until now. Perhaps it's time to roll back to 10.4.10?

I suspect it's an OS update too. Is it even possible to roll the version back?

na9d

Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:19 pm

It's 10.5.4 that did this. Freaking Apple did something with the SMB security settings and now we're hosed...A windows computer connects fine though so something must not be quite standard in Roku's implementation of SMB...

I see that Apple has released pre-release builds of 10.5.5 to developers. Maybe it will have a fix...
Roku Soundbridge M2000
Roku Soundbridge M1000
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevB
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevA
3 ReplayTVs
4 Slingboxes (Classic and Pro, AV and Solo)
Firefly Media Server and SlimServer Running on a MacPro
2 Vudu VOD Players

jmsaul
Topic Author

Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:57 pm

na9d wrote:
It's 10.5.4 that did this. Freaking Apple did something with the SMB security settings and now we're hosed...A windows computer connects fine though so something must not be quite standard in Roku's implementation of SMB...

I see that Apple has released pre-release builds of 10.5.5 to developers. Maybe it will have a fix...

Whatever they did in 10.5.4, they also did it in 10.4.11, because that's what I'm running. Interesting.

na9d

Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:24 pm

jmsaul wrote:
na9d wrote:

Whatever they did in 10.5.4, they also did it in 10.4.11, because that's what I'm running. Interesting.

Actually, it may have been a security update for 10.5.4. Whatever it was mucked everything up...
Roku Soundbridge M2000

Roku Soundbridge M1000

3 ReplayTVs

2 Vudu VOD Players

andy

Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:15 pm

na9d wrote:
Actually, it may have been a security update for 10.5.4. Whatever it was mucked everything up...

Sounds like a lot of people are having trouble with SMB intereoperability with a variety of devices with recent versions of OS X. :-( Unfortunately I don't see anything that sounds helpful for the Photobridge.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... ID=7519848

Does OS X support exporting shares via NFS? There is/was NFS support in the Photobridge.
Andy Oliver
LiveSpy: Watch Live Webcams:http://frequal.com/LiveSpy/roku/index.html
VncSix: Web Surfing+:http://frequal.com/roku/VncSix/index.html
SongInfo:http://frequal.com/roku/SongInfo/index.html

bpwwer

Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:06 am

andy wrote:
Does OS X support exporting shares via NFS? There is/was NFS support in the Photobridge.

Yes, OS X makes a pretty good NFS server. That's how I do most of my file sharing these days (even Mac to Mac is using NFS) . However, it's not a simple process to get it working. There's no app or system preference to enable the NFS server.

Also, by default, OS X will only mount external disks when a user logs in so if the files you want to export are on an external disk, then you need to configure it to mount the disk at boot.

I never tried using the Photobridge to access the Mac NFS shares. When I moved my file serving over to the Mac was the same time I replaced the Photobridge with an AppleTV.
-- Bob --
[url]http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYai/[/url]

jmsaul
Topic Author

Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:05 pm

Here's the response I got on the Apple forums. Is it even possible to do this on a Roku? If so, what file do I edit?

Grrrr, Apple!!! They are using Samba 3.10, which isn't exactly current, and has this known issue with regard to Linux. See the dismissive comment on https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4774

This problem appeared as a regression in a more recent version of Samba as well, see https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5087

The workaround is to use mount -t cifs instead of mount -t smbfs.

This has security implications if (like me) you want to control file permissions and ownership on the client side. Or if your Linux kernel doesn't support CIFS. One hopes that Apple will release another patch with a newer version of Samba, but since Tiger is old news I'm not going to hold my breath.

na9d

Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:18 pm

jmsaul wrote:
Here's the response I got on the Apple forums. Is it even possible to do this on a Roku? If so, what file do I edit?

Grrrr, Apple!!! They are using Samba 3.10, which isn't exactly current, and has this known issue with regard to Linux. See the dismissive comment on https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4774

This problem appeared as a regression in a more recent version of Samba as well, see https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5087

The workaround is to use mount -t cifs instead of mount -t smbfs.

This has security implications if (like me) you want to control file permissions and ownership on the client side. Or if your Linux kernel doesn't support CIFS. One hopes that Apple will release another patch with a newer version of Samba, but since Tiger is old news I'm not going to hold my breath.

I am sure you can do this and put it in your startup file. I've been attempting to do this but I'm not enough of a Unix/Linux nerd to know the full syntax of the command. Maybe you could ask this guy or maybe someone here who knows Unix/Linux better could chip in...
Roku Soundbridge M2000

Roku Soundbridge M1000

3 ReplayTVs

2 Vudu VOD Players

mbetten617

Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:45 pm

Great News!!! our wait is finally over, Apple released an update for leopard OS X 10.5.5 that addresses the permissions issues that we've all been experiencing. I'm up & running :)

na9d

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:18 pm

SCHWEET!!!!

I am downloading now. This is fantastic news. I was just thinking this morning if I should ditch my PBs now the SlingMedia is taking orders for their SlingCatcher media players. But now, I can still use my PBs! Oh good news.

Hopefully, they'll update the firmware for the Time Capsule as well. I would like to move all my media files to a drive hooked to that. Right now it has the same authentication problem.

Funny thing about this update talks about some improvements for Compuserve mail accounts. Compuserve? Is it still around! :)
Roku Soundbridge M2000

Roku Soundbridge M1000

3 ReplayTVs

2 Vudu VOD Players