Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

S80_UK
Topic Author

Forum closing...

Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:59 am

Maybe a daft question, but is there a good reason to close the PhotoBridge forum? It's not as though Roku is spending any significant resource in that area, is it?

There are still users out there who use the forum for advice and support (from the community) and it serves as a valuable reference for those that run into problems.

Will the contents of the locked forum remain visible?

Roku seem to be applying what is often a good internal strategy when running a business - that is, to look forward, not back; not to be slowed down or distracted by what was done in the past - to their customers. The only problem is that customers have memories. Customers like to have trust in a brand. Such trust helps to keep companies in business in the long term.

We see the general lack of focus now on the SoundBridge - still an excellent product - because Roku is chasing the "next big thing". So what will be next? Close the SoundBridge forums so that we can't help out users with defective power supplies?

Come on Roku! Do your customers and yourselves a favour and don't turn your back on us.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

Burkhardi

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:28 am

To Whom It May Concern:
Perhaps I don't want to deal with the fact that the HD1000 is dead and seeing these forums working lets me think it's still alive, but I really would like the forums to stay open. There are still new owners that buy units on eBay and such used that need these forums for reference and support.

I still use my HD1000 PhotoBridge. I currently have my Roku N1000 (aka NetFlix box or Roku Video Player) running on one of my several HD1000’s via pass-through. I use the PhotoBridge almost every weekday to stream a short Baby Einstein DVD for my kids to watch. I use it on weekend for play music and internet radio and what have you. I also use it to watch my own DVD collection and is also why it’s nice to have the N1000 attached to it.

ANYWAY, ON TO THE POINT…
Will it be locked and closed to where no one can add a new post, but all the links will still work that have been linked from other message boards, groups, emails, AVS Forum and such? Since I am a HD1000 junkie, I get emails quite a bit asking for help and I often link to the posts on these Roku Foums.

Please tell me that worse case they will just be consolidated into one forum and not deleted.
PELASE DONâ€
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

jm_maclaren

Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:09 pm

I second these comments. I too have noticed a significant drop off in posting and many of the past active members have moved on with different hardware. I still get a lot of use out of mine (thanks to Matt's repairs and the use of morex power supplies) and use them exclusively as mythtv frontends. Yes the mythroku code is quirky, but on the whole the does a great job playing both sdtv and hdtv mpeg2 recordings and hey there is always the power button to solve those unexplained crashes! I will still be supporting mythroku for the future for now. Probably with not too much adding of features but with updating to handle protocol changes. I can be emailed as maclaren at tulane dot edu

It will be sad to see the forum closed. :cry:

satz

Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:14 pm

I concur with keeping at least one of the photobridge forums open for posting. It is also useful to keep the archives. There are still some people who use these devices and it doesn't cost the company anything or very much to do this. It will be regarded as very good customer support and relations.

blue_94_trooper

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:50 am

Count me in as another who values this section. Mostly by searching older posts.

soiaf

Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:18 am

I too agree with Matt; it would be great that have all the information, links to software and useful hints on the forums remain available to people.
I would also like at least one section to remain open in general view (PhotoBridge General Discussion seems a good choice).

I've enjoyed developing for the PhotoBridge and I'm still an occasional user. It really is a device that was ahead of its time.

chackett

Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:48 am

I'd like to see these remain open as well. Although it's been sad to watch the number of posts dwindle over the past year or so, there is still a lot of useful information here, and I still use my PB every day. I can't believe that keeping these forums locked (but still open) would be any drain on resources at Roku. Perhaps just this once they could do something right for the PB users?
Roku HD1000 Rev B
Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma
Artison Portrait LCR
Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR
Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V2500
Motorola DCT-6412
Home Theater Master MX-3000

RI_Pilot

Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:02 pm

I also use my PhotoBridge regularly, I still think it is the best media player ever built.

Please keep the forums open! They have been (and still are) very useful for me and other PhotoBridge users.

Howard

markrez

Don't close them!

Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:25 pm

Please keep these open, I too still search on occasion.

chackett

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:12 pm

Hmmm, looks like they're still open. Let's have a contest to see who gets the last post.
Roku HD1000 Rev B

Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma

Artison Portrait LCR

Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR

Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer

Yamaha RX-V2500

Motorola DCT-6412

Home Theater Master MX-3000

sansp00

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:39 pm

Maybe they just changed their minds ...
Roku HD1000 (revived!), R1000 x2, M1001 x2
Linksys NSLU2 with Firefly
Netgear WGR614,JGS516,GS608,GS605 x3

satz

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:52 pm

I, for one, am glad these forums haven't closed. Thank you to those that haven't (yet?) acted to close the forums.

soiaf

Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:38 pm

Its great that the PhotoBridge forums are still here. I wasn't happy to see that when the Cascade forum went, it looks like all the posts were removed - well anyway if I try to do a search on a keyword that I know was in the Cascade forum it doesn't display any results from there. A real pity as there was some useful information there :(

Bron

I still come here for assistance...

Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:46 pm

I still come here for assistance...why not keep it open? Can't cost much.