Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

rrdesign
Topic Author

Trouble viewing photoshop jpg files

Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:26 pm

I am on a Mac and my large photoshop files that I've copied to my card come up as broken icons and unviewable. Am I saving the files in the wrong format or does the mac have problems copying them over in a readble format for the Roku? My photo files that are captured straight from the camera reads fine. Is there some step by step instructions that I can follow?

Thanks

RokuPatrick

Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:30 pm

I suspect you are saving the files as progressive jpg, which are not supported. Save them as "baseline" and RGB or YCrCb and you should be fine.

rrdesign
Topic Author

Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:48 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

I saw the same response to a previous post, I did save as a standard, not progressive file. These are photoshop saves of some poster files that I want to display on a plasma screen. Are there any file size or other requirements? I have not tried copying them over via a PC but I have one available.

RokuPatrick

Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:03 pm

What color format are the images? The PhotoBridge doesn't support yhe CMYK colorspace.

If you want to make one of the images available for download I can take a look at it and see what's going on.

rrdesign
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:08 pm

I think I have a handle on the problem. The Mac has a problem writing to the disk properly. The file opened fine on the HD1000 when I copied it over with a PC. FYI, the text on my poster art is a bit hard to read on a 720 display. Overall the image looks great.

Thank you for your attention.

swingnstar

Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:18 am

Most of the several thousand jpg files I have scanned in do not display on the PB. They show a broken thumbnail in the browse view and do not respond when I try to view them.
The files are 24-bit color, which is unusual. Is that the problem.
How might I find how they need to be modified to work?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

swingnstar

Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:44 am

Here is an example file that will not display in case this helps. I appreciate any advice about this.
http://www.uwrf.edu/~gary.a.knigge/0019.jpg

Thanks again,
Gary

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:08 pm

swingnstar wrote:
Here is an example file that will not display in case this helps. I appreciate any advice about this.
http://www.uwrf.edu/~gary.a.knigge/0019.jpg

Thanks again,
Gary

As stated in the 2nd post in this thread, progressive jpegs are not supported on the Roku. The example you posted is a progressive jpeg, as are the others you're having problems with I imagine. You'll need to convert them if you want to view them on the Roku.

It seems a lot of people have had success using InfranView to batch convert their jpegs from progressive to baseline. You might want to give it a try: http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2192-10021962.html
NOTE: You should probably back up the jpegs before-hand just to be safe.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

swingnstar

Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:21 pm

Thank you. That did the trick. I had read all the posts, btw, and had tried to figure out if my jpg's were progressive before posting my question. None of the tools on my system would tell me if they were or not. I tried Windows Explorer file properties, image viewer, Fireworks, and Firefox. So not knowing, I asked for help.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:31 pm

swingnstar wrote:
Thank you. That did the trick. I had read all the posts, btw, and had tried to figure out if my jpg's were progressive before posting my question. None of the tools on my system would tell me if they were or not. I tried Windows Explorer file properties, image viewer, Fireworks, and Firefox. So not knowing, I asked for help.

Glad you got it working!

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

mparadis

Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:13 pm

swingnstar wrote:

I know these are old threads I'm replying to but am hoping some are still checking these forums :).

What is the best resolution to get the best image display without having to scroll around? I've been using 768 hight and find that I still haveto use the scroll button to make most of the images smaller else miss out on the full image.

Mike

Burkhardi

Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:48 pm

I replied to your other thread on this question.
Regards, Matt

mparadis wrote:
swingnstar wrote:

I know these are old threads I'm replying to but am hoping some are still checking these forums :).

What is the best resolution to get the best image display without having to scroll around? I've been using 768 hight and find that I still haveto use the scroll button to make most of the images smaller else miss out on the full image.

Mike
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

josefina

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:20 am

How to apply same change to multiple pictures in photoshop? I just scanned a bunch of pictures but the contrast is not that great. Anybody know how to open a whole folder and apply contrast change to all the pictures at one time without doing it individually for every one. Thanks in advance. Ohh I'm using photoshop.

kaenie

Step By Step

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:24 am

You can make a simple change to a bunch of files. I've posted a tutorial on my blog: http://kaeniedesign.blogspot.com/2009/12/photoshop-cs3-how-to-apply-change-in.html

kaenie

Response to Mike

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:26 am

750 width by 550 height is standard.