Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

patyoung

Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:56 pm

I tried e-mailing and calling over a month ago and I still haven't gotten any response. I don't think I'd be too happy about paying $50 for something that is pretty clearly a defect since so many have failed.

noneofyourbiznez

Re: HD1000 sinkhole

Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:48 pm

It is a tough call. With the obvious evolution in the marketplace, it is tough to know whether the guys at Roku are even bothering with product development anymore...

ANY COMMENTS???

Was really encouraged to see that there was a recent update to the HD1000 software.

Since Intel announced it will be integrating multimedia CPUs into TVs and Apple will inevitably release an iPod wireless extension product for the TV entertainment center. When that happens, will your Roku become a doorstop (especially since it won't power-up)?

Unless we hear otherwise, I would say spend your $50 + shipping cost on the iPod Nano. It rocks!

barrygordon

Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:07 pm

Well mine went today, Actually it went on 9/21 but I did not notice it till today. The unit is more than a year old but less than two. I was one of the original purchasers. I sent an email to support and am waiting for their reply, I do not understand why they do not handle that by phone, it is not a long time consuming phone call issue. Inability to power up is easily recognized even by the most electronically challenged.

Hearing that there is a fuse soldered into the unit bothers me, in that if that is the problem, why should I have to return it I can solder, and soldering a fuse in parallel is generally not hard. even more interestingly why isn't the fuse replacable on the back panel. That kind of design irks me. Since I am pretty sure my warranty is up (unit over a year old) I may just open it up tomorrow and look at the fuse.

pedson

Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:21 pm

I wrote back asking if the repair is just replacing it with the same model power supply that was originally in there and is failing on everyone, and what the warranty is on the replacement is for the $50 they are charging, but it has been well over a week with no response. Fortunately the Attorney General's office and Consumer Affairs office are pretty decent in my state if I need help following up.

barrygordon

Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:48 pm

The support staff got back to me within 48 hours of my first message. I did send a PM to RokuPatrick and he might have helped, but I give the support staff the benefit of the doubt. I shipped my out of warranty, dead Power supply Roku HD1000 back to them the next day (yesterday). It will arrive at their location on 10/5.

Perhaps they should have a policy of selling the power supplies for self installation?

Since it was out of Warranty. I opened the unit. There are no fuses on the PS board (at least in my model) The power supply is easily replaced, about 6 screws, 1 connector. If it fails again I might just hunt around for another one, even if I need to go external (3.3v@7A, 5v@1A). I also noted that on the front right there is plenty of room for a whisper fan. Just need to make a nice sized hole in the bottom, Cover it on the outside with a fan grill (on the bottom)and get a 5v fan (assuming there is enough 5V current to drive the fan). I would also tend to cover the vent holes on the right side so all air came in the left and was exhausted by the fan on the right.

Does anyone know if the "repair" replaces the PS with a "Beefier one" ? It should not fail at the rate being reported (IMO) unless there is a design flaw.

pedson

Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:20 pm

From their response to me, it is the exact same supply with a 90 day warranty.

dgburns

Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:51 am

barrygordon wrote:
Since it was out of Warranty. I opened the unit. There are no fuses on the PS board (at least in my model) The power supply is easily replaced, about 6 screws, 1 connector. If it fails again I might just hunt around for another one, even if I need to go external (3.3v@7A, 5v@1A).

You didn't happen to take any pictures, or write down part #'s did you? As unresponsive as Roku seems to be on this power supply issue, if we had more info perhaps we could track down an alternative source.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

dschamis

Mine just went too - add me to the list

Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:14 am

I've had mine for over a year - I was one of the original buyers when this came out, and I can no longer power this on.

I just sent a message to Roku support but haven't heard back yet. This is clearly not a one-off problem if all these people on this forum with Roku's > 1 year old is having the same problem. I am going to be very annoyed if they try to get me to pay $50 to fix what is clearly a design issue, which should be outside a normal warranty!

I will update when I hear anything.

barrygordon

Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:47 pm

The power supply is made by U-San a Tawainese electronics firm. The model is a UP-28. I sent them an email inquiring about buying the supply and have received no response. I have not been able to locate a US dealer of the supply, probably is not one. Perhaps Roku could tell us if there is one and how to contact them.

I stated what the power requirements are (3.3V @ 7 amps and 5V @ 1 Amp). If It fails again I think I may do the following.

Get a small inexpensive ATX supply, the type used in 1U rack mount servers. Modify the Motherboard connection cable of the PC to terminate in a 6 pin Din style connector) and provide 3.3, 5, and 12 volts).

Remove the PS from the Roku and add a mating bulkhead Din connector terminating in the plug I will clip from the defunct PS. (Any connector will do, but Din type are cheap and reliable)

Optional Overkill:

Mount a 12V whisper fan in the unit (as I will now have 12V) on the right front bottom of the case where there is more than enough room. Drill a number of ventilation holes in the bottom of the unit under the fan and tape over the vent holes on the right hand side of the case so air flows from left to right across the MB and DB. The fan is probably extreme overkill as I just removed the only real heat producer, the PS, but fans are cheap and I love to tinker.

I will only do this at the next failure

SP

Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:39 pm

The power supply is made by U-San a Tawainese electronics firm. The model is a UP-28. I sent them an email inquiring about buying the supply and have received no response. I have not been able to locate a US dealer of the supply, probably is not one. Perhaps Roku could tell us if there is one and how to contact them.

I stated what the power requirements are (3.3V @ 7 amps and 5V @ 1 Amp).

This is great information. If the HD1000 uses a separate module for the power supply and we know the voltages it uses, replacing it whenever it dies should be very easy. I personally haven't had any issues with mine yet and if I did I'd certainly send it back to Roku for repair and not touch it myself as mines still under warranty, but for those whose warranties have run out, this might be a great way to fix their unit for good.

Just out of curiousity was your unit a rev A or B and does anyone know if the power supply is exactly the same in both revisions or different?

tjdebon

Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:00 am

Barry, Is the pinout well labelled? If not, can you post the wiring color code or pin out? If we have a dead power supply we won't be able to measure polarity and voltage. Thanks

barrygordon

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:38 am

My Roku is a Rev A. I have no idea if there are different PSU's in A vs B. I think I saw a posting that they were the same, but who knows.

I can not look at the pinouts/voltages now as my unit is in transit to Roku. Here is what I remember. (caveat: I am 66 years old and sometimes forget things, but I always make new friends, never see a TV rerun, and my family expands rapidly (:-)).

There are 6-8 wires. 2-3 Red, 1 Yellow, 2-3 black. Since the most power is at 3.3V I would assume that the reds are 3.3V, the Yellow is 5 V and the blacks are ground. Even if I had my Roku, I could not verify the voltage for the obvious reason. The wires are common at the PS i.e. all reds are common, all blacks are common (from what I remember)

At $50 it is cheaper to have Roku fix the unit unless you happen to have a spare PSU of the right voltages and wattage laying around.

If someone could provide a schematic, repair should be easy, but probably more than $50 if you can not do it yourself.

barrygordon

Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:15 am

Late breaking News.

I think I have found an equivalent PS for the Roku from a local (NJ USA) mfg. The company is Globtek. Remember I do not have a Roku to open and compare it to as mine is in transit to Roku for repair.

Their PSU looks physically identical to the Roku PSU in all respects. The voltage outputs are the same, The Roku PS says 3.3V at 7A; 5V at 1A. THe Globtek unit says 3.3V at 6A; 5V at 0.5A. The output connector looks identical, the form factor looks the same, the 110V plug receptacle looks the same, green ground strap, etc.

What is really needed is the requirements of the Roku Mother board. In electronic design you find the closest PSU at an acceptable price point that meets or exceeds the requirements, so the fact that the amperage is slightly less may not matter. The stated power of the unit is 28 watts same as the Roku.

The Globtek part number is GT-22038 Series-22.3W.

A URL to their site Power supply page is
http://www.globtek.com/powersup.html

Locate the part number on the page to see detailed specs and pics.

They are going to let me know on price.

Just heard from Globtek, they told me that unit is not available at this time.

Wulgaru

Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:09 am

Add me to the list. Mine died last night. I've had it for roughly 14-15 months. Up until this point, I was pretty happy with the unit.

olllllo

Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:25 am

Mine has also died after about 14 months....
See:
http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4590

improv wrote:
soiaf wrote:
improv wrote:
Luckily I have a micro atx power supply which is now filling in.

I imagine there will be a few people interested to read that. Was it a straight replacement or was there any rewiring involved.

Maybe so. Probably more important to us Australians who have a bit more difficulty in obtaining support. Note in Australia there is no formal support for the HD nor is their a distributor. It doesn't even have it's formal CE tick of approval yet. For those of you buying a soundbridge in Australia there is now a distributor, however they will only provide support for the ones they sell (Read: I received the distinct impression that the distributor will not support soundbridges sold by their resellers prior to them becoming a distributor). ROKU READ THIS: Your Support Needs Improving

In my case the device is under warranty however I am not sure sending the HD all the way back to the US is in my best interest.

Question for ROKU: If I send you the dead power supply will you replace it? Please note as a customer I have no intention of paying for international shipping on the HD nor waiting the weeks it will take to get it back.

Onto the actuall powersupply replacement....

As previously pointed out on the forums the Power supply has two rails 3.3v (7A) and 5v (1A). Given that I wanted the Roku up and running today and didn't want to spend time diagnosing the current power supply (Read: I don't trust that the problem will not reoccur) I chose to use a small ATX power supply until I could find a replacement power supply that would fit the ROKU. This ment an external power supply connected to the ROKU. Note even 1U power supplies are unlikely to fit as they are approx 40mm high where as the Roku power supply is approx 30mm high.

The micro ATX power supply I chose is 200W (more than enough grunt for the job) and has a whisper quiet fan which I cannot hear even in a quiet room.

The steps I took were:

1. Install a small toggle switch on the power supply. 1 pin connected to the PS-ON cable (PIN 14 - Green Cable) and the other Pin connected to a ground cable. This enables the power supply to be turned on without a motherboard.

2. In my case I didnt want cables hanging out of the power supply so I removed the cables I didn't need. The power connector on the Roku motherboad has 5 pins (3.3v, 3.3v, GND, GND,GND, 5V). So the cables I needed to keep were: 2 x orange cables (3.3v), 3 x black cables (gnd) and 1 x 5v (red).

3. I put a new 6 pin plug connector on the ends of the remaining 6 cables.

4. Made a temporary extension lead from the power supply connector to the ROKU.

5. Tommorow I will decide which of my long term options I like best:

a. Get a new PSU from ROKu
b. Install a connector on the ROKU where the power plug used to be and leave the xisting arrangement
c. Find a replacement power supply which will fit the ROKU and install with a fan
d. Use an external 60W power pack with an internal DC to DC convertor.

I actually like the idea of the power supply being external and may at option d. Certainly the reduction in heat within the box is significant and this can only help the longevity of the ROKU.

I have also done this with good results. A micro Atx PS costs about $25 but must be ouside the roku case. I'm going to try this PSU
http://www.miraisolutions.net/store/item.php?PartID=133
next and install a fan. Better use of my 50 bucks.