Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

zephyr

Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:09 pm

Zephyr is back!

In January 2007, my stock PSU failed a second time after I had replaced several capacitors after the first failure a year ago. I was down for about 2.5 months. I replaced the PSU with the 60W Morex unit and added an exhaust fan driven by the +12V output. I primarily followed these directions http://rev-a-dead-roku-club.blogspot.com/ --- although I did make some variations to the fan installation since I wanted the air to flow from bottom to top in my rack.

Fan details: I covered the side vents and former bottom vent with foil duct tape. I drilled air intake holes in the bottom of the unit, on the far side opposite the PSU location, surrounding the location where the serial number decal is. I mounted the fan aside the PSU, using some of the holes that had formerly been for the bottom vent. I mounted Radio Shack 12V, 40mm fan (273-240) on aluminum spacers, and drilled a 1.25 inch hole in the top cover to act as an exhaust port. I chose 0.75 inch spacers and added some washers so as the spacers and washers hold the fan up from the floor of the Photobridge and as near the top of the unit as possible. The result: 68 degF ambient air taken from the bottom right of the unit (oriented looking at the front) is exhausted at the left top at 79.5 degF.

One bit of irony: the first Morex unit that I received was dead on arrival. Logic Supply had wonderful customer service to replace the unit. No problems with it.

I will also comment that the remote control response is much snappier with the new PSU.

-zephyr

na9d

Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:58 pm

I'm not quite sure why the common wisdom is to add a fan to the Photobridge after installing the Morex supply. Before closing my box up I let my Morex supply run for hours and tested to see how warm it got - BARELY warm. So I really question the need. While I have a fan in my AV cabinet that pulls air over the PB and everything else, the PB is not at all warm like it used to be. I really think the internal fan is just not needed.

Now, Apple's AppleTV got hotter inside my AV cabinet than the Roku ever got! I had to move it out. It was in the AV cabinet for a couple hours. Guess Apple didn't learn from the PB experience when the put the AC to DC supply internal to the box...
Roku Soundbridge M2000
Roku Soundbridge M1000
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevB
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevA
3 ReplayTVs
4 Slingboxes (Classic and Pro, AV and Solo)
Firefly Media Server and SlimServer Running on a MacPro
2 Vudu VOD Players

jm_maclaren

Fan

Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:17 am

The benefit is that some MBs have been failing possibly due to heat. Now The PS doesnt create much heat, but the cpu chip with the heat sink on does. Not sure how much it would help, but clearly it won't hurt to remove more heat.

As a ps one web site that talked about fans suggested running the 12v fan at 7V, its not as powerful but much quieter if that's an issue. For the moreau power supply 7v can be made by using the +12 v (yellow) and +5V (red) as +ve and ground fan leads as 12-5=7, this is what I am doing

Burkhardi

Re: Fan

Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:41 pm

jm_maclaren wrote:
The benefit is that some MBs have been failing possibly due to heat. Now The PS doesnt create much heat, but the cpu chip with the heat sink on does. Not sure how much it would help, but clearly it won't hurt to remove more heat.

As a ps one web site that talked about fans suggested running the 12v fan at 7V, its not as powerful but much quieter if that's an issue. For the moreau power supply 7v can be made by using the +12 v (yellow) and +5V (red) as +ve and ground fan leads as 12-5=7, this is what I am doing

The OEM power supply does create a lot of heat, however I measured more on the power resister at the output (next to the inductor) then the head sink for the CPU. Also, the 1.5volt regulator on the MoBo gets hotter then you know what too (I measured 200F). I am playing around with another setup for that power resistor that may lower the temp, or at least get it away from RIGHT NEXT to the capasitors that are faling. As well as a heat sink for the regualtors. I just fixed a REV-A and a REV-B, so now I have two working Rev-A and one working Rev B units!
Regards, Matt

BTW, I agree with you, the fan can't hurt.
Last edited by Burkhardi on Mon May 07, 2007 11:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

MoJo

Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:09 pm

My PS died about 2 months ago. I dragged my feet for a month and then finally sent it in to Roku to have it fixed. I got it back after about 3.5 weeks and am loving life again. Man was it tough to be without MPlay and just basic music playing... I've been listening to HEX Radio for about 8 hours straight today.

My last PS lasted about 18 months. Hopefully something new will be on the market by the time this one fails again...

na9d

Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:20 pm

MoJo wrote:
My last PS lasted about 18 months. Hopefully something new will be on the market by the time this one fails again...

Well, if it fails, I'll buy your unit off you then! The replacement supply is so easy to do, it's not funny...
Roku Soundbridge M2000

Roku Soundbridge M1000

3 ReplayTVs

2 Vudu VOD Players

dgburns

Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:49 pm

I finally got bit by dead power supply in my original RevB. Time to swap in my spare RevB and tinker with fixing the original.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

Burkhardi

Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:26 pm

dgburns wrote:
I finally got bit by dead power supply in my original RevB. Time to swap in my spare RevB and tinker with fixing the original.

You can do a morex, or just fix and improve the OEM supply. Check your PM.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

mjt5282

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:20 pm

Mr. Burkhard repaired two of my broken Roku HD1000's in under a week - I had the total pleasure of listening to songs from my CD collection on my living room stereo on a Rev. B that I had purchased used on ebay but was delivered DOA .

Matt also repaired my originally purchased Rev. A that died after about 3 1/2 years of loyal service... Running again after prompt, professional service .

I wouldn't hesitate to send more business his way and would totally recommend his thorough, prompt service!

-Mike
PB1000 Rev. A (X3), PB1000 Rev. B (X3), SlimServer 6.5.4 + Nero MediaHome (for transcoding to MPlay)

na9d

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:22 pm

mjt5282 wrote:
Mr. Burkhard repaired two of my broken Roku HD1000's in under a week

Outstanding. Well, we've now replaced Roku's customer service.

Now all we need to do is get someone at Roku to release the firmware source code so that the geniuses here can hack it, fix it and make this an even better box! Wish they'd release it. Why hold on to it for a "dead" product?
Roku Soundbridge M2000

Roku Soundbridge M1000

3 ReplayTVs

2 Vudu VOD Players

Burkhardi

HD1000 Photobridge repair service

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:54 pm

mjt5282 wrote:
Mr. Burkhard repaired two of my broken Roku HD1000's in under a week - I had the total pleasure of listening to songs from my CD collection on my living room stereo on a Rev. B that I had purchased used on ebay but was delivered DOA .

Matt also repaired my originally purchased Rev. A that died after about 3 1/2 years of loyal service... Running again after prompt, professional service .

I wouldn't hesitate to send more business his way and would totally recommend his thorough, prompt service!

-Mike

Mike, Thank you very much for the kind words!

Now that the cat is kinda out of the bag, I am working with Chris Lewis of Pyramid Audio and we have come up with some nice solutions and ideas for the HD1000 (some reliability improvments to the power supply and motherboard).

We are working on some behind the scenes stuff right now that I want to iron out as well as get Roku's blessing for an offical post. Once we have both of those items done, THEN I will make an offical post on the forum here.

In the mean time, if anyone needs their unit repaired and modified, please call Pyramid Audio and they will get you squared away (or send me an email at burkhardi@hotmail.com if you have any questions). I also made a post in the AVS Forum since there are people there that have and use the photobridge as well. It's in the "Digital Media Servers & Content Streamers" section.

As I said, we (Pyramid Audio and I) will make an offical post once we iron out the behind the scenes item and get Roku's blessing.

Best regards, Matt Burkhard

If you want, you can check out Pyramid's website as http://www.pyramid-audio.com/ they have a nice portfolio (i.e. Bang and Olufsen(B&O), Mark Levinson and McIntosh) and have been in the biz for over 25 yeras. You will also find their phone number in Austin,Tx.

jm_maclaren

VR U12 appears broken as the voltage on TP29=0 - help needed

Thu May 10, 2007 4:55 pm

I tested the voltage regulators and, like others, appear to have a blown U12 VR - the voltage on TP29 is 0 but is ok on TP58 & TP45,

I ordered a LP3965EMP-ADJ SOT223-5 from National Semiconductors. Can someone confirm this is the right part. As a college prof I got a free sample of 5 of them!

I would appreciate any pointers on replacing this part, or if others have had success and might do it for a fee to PM me.

Thanks

Burkhardi

It's not a cake walk...

Thu May 10, 2007 6:05 pm

jm_maclaren wrote:
I tested the voltage regulators and, like others, appear to have a blown U12 VR - the voltage on TP29 is 0 but is ok on TP58 & TP45,

I ordered a LP3965EMP-ADJ SOT223-5 from National Semiconductors. Can someone confirm this is the right part. As a college prof I got a free sample of 5 of them!

I would appreciate any pointers on replacing this part, or if others have had success and might do it for a fee to PM me.

Thanks

So I guess my memory was not too bad on the test points then? Glad you were finaly able to track down the casue/issue.

If you have never worked on SMD/SMT before, your in for a real treat! Don't get the PCB too hot and try not to lift the land/pad. If you can find someone localy (read- friend) that knows how to solder SMD/SMT stuff, then your better off buying them dinner and letting them do it. I know A guy in Austin, Texas that can do this :wink: 8)

I think the PN is right too, but that is from memory also. Let me double check and I'll send you another PM.

alkeown

Sun May 20, 2007 10:01 am

Just got my HD1000 back from Pyramid Audio. A test point on the main board showed a failure in a voltage regulator. Turn around was short. It sure is good to have the HD1000 working again. As others have said, I didn't know just how much I depended on it.
Al K

DaMutha

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:27 pm

I just joined the ranks of the Roku-less: bought it July 2005, RIP May 31, 2007. It will be shipped off to Pyramid Audio on Monday.

It's pretty amazing that just about every one of these things appears to be faulty.