Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Donald

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:38 am

Just joined the Rev A dead Roku club; got a coupla questions...

I've just opened up the case to confirm powerboard failure and I've noticed a green LED on the moribund powerboard flashing about twice a second. Should I get out? Get out quickly?

Also about to hit the Submit button at http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info ... cts_id/192 for the 80W power kit; any reason NOT to use an 80W power supply?

I'm bloging this as I go along:

http://rev-a-dead-roku-club.blogspot.com/

Donald

olllllo

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:52 am

I've just opened up the case to confirm powerboard failure and I've noticed a green LED on the moribund powerboard flashing about twice a second. Should I get out? Get out quickly?

Yes, the computer generated voice is scheduled for Beta 2.0.37a.

"Hull has been breeched. The Roku will begin to self destruct in 10 seconds..."

Note that this 10 seconds will be about 5 minutes if there is a Hollywood Blockbuster Action Adventure movie playing within a 5 block radius.

Steve Martin

Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:44 am

Another dead Rev B. 15 months old.
Steve Martin

Donald

Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:08 am

Steve Martin wrote:
Another dead Rev B. 15 months old.

I'm sorry man...so young...

barrygordon

Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:04 pm

Well my Roku just died. It had been repaired once by Roku. They really should be sued.

I will go the route of swapping out the PS for the ITX PS and probably install a 12V fan as that voltage is "Spare" in the Roku needs department.

Put my order in this AM, but will call to see if in stock. I guess I need to find a good Morex PS supplier with stock.

barrygordon

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:00 pm

I got my new "Roku" supply and modified it the way I previously described. It is now ready to go into a Roku with a Dead PS if I can find one. I will be haunting eBAy for one, but if anyone has an HD1000 with a dead supply please PM me.

I placed a document showing how to do what I just finished on my web site (www.the-gordons.net) Just log in as guest with a userID and password of guest and go to the bottom of the first page. There you will find some links. Follow the one on documentation.

Steve Martin

Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:41 pm

I replaced mine with a Mac mini. :x
Steve Martin

transco

Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:22 pm

For those keeping score, I have two HD1000's (Rev. A), both with dead power supplies. Both were on top of the equipment cabinet, with open space on five sides. They were purchased at roughly the same time, and blew their power supplies at roughly the same time... a couple of months after the warranty expired.

It would be interesting to tally the number of HD1000 owners whose units never failed and those that have had at least one hardware failure. I'm guessing that the failure rate far exceeds that of comparable consumer electronics equipment. Actually, in my case, I have two six foot racks full of HT gear, some as much as 10 years old, and the only hardware failures I've had have been the HD1000's.

jor

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:27 am

I'd like to know the power source for those units that lost their PS.

surge? regulating UPS or power conditioner? Wall jack?

mine did have an issue in that same timeframe, but for me it was a loss of the remote control sensor - only worked at a range of a foot.

transco

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:10 am

jor wrote:
I'd like to know the power source for those units that lost their PS.

surge? regulating UPS or power conditioner? Wall jack?

mine did have an issue in that same timeframe, but for me it was a loss of the remote control sensor - only worked at a range of a foot.

One of mine was connected to an 'APC Smart-UPS 1000'. The other to a 'Lightspeed 2000 Surge Suppressor'.

barrygordon

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:54 am

When mine suffered a PSU failure, it was plugged into normal wall outlet (no UPS). The house has Whole House Surge suppression and I have never lost any piece of electronics due to electrical surge. I have a lot of electronics on all the time (e.g. seven PC's, all of the Home Theater equipment, all TV's etc.) In fact almost all modern electronics is always on, and what we sometimes call power off is really a stanby mode drawing less power. In stanby mode the components are still connected to the power mains and can be affected by surges. I live in central FL, where lightning, especially air to ground strikes is a regular occurrence.

The second failure was not the PSU. At that time it was plugged into a 700 VA UPS along with all of the Home Theater Electronics. It (the HD1000) is on its way back to Roku now, and I am interested in what they tell me and charge me.

Being an electrical engineer with a lot of design experience in the digital world, the failure rate being experienced looks way out of line from entries on this board. But then again, how many units were sold, and how many PSU (or other) failures have occurred. I assume that the vast majority of Roku owners never come to this board, but then again who knows; only Roku.

I doubt if Roku will provide that information (units sold, failure rate) as it is not in their best interests to do so. I have seen no comments from Roku management on the subject ever.

Modern electronics, properly designed very very rarely suffer a hardware failure unless abused (e.g. dropped, thrown, baked, etc). Most failures of modern electronics come from specification compliance ala the current HDMI/HDCP fiasco.

transco

Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:41 am

barrygordon wrote:
I assume that the vast majority of Roku owners never come to this board, but then again who knows; only Roku.

Actually, I would imagine that most Roku owners hang out here and have a technical background. If you are one of the early HD1000 owners you know that initially it was a disaster, firmware wise. Who but us technonuts would have had the patients (and understanding) to stay with this products through its evolution. If it hadn't been for the unpaid, third party developers and user community that hang out on this forum, the HD1000 would have remained as useless as the day it originally shipped.

As a small startup, with limited resources, I don't fault Roku for rushing its first product out the door in the hopes of generating sustaining revenue. What I do fault Roku for is not doing right by those that have supported it from the very beginning. As a hardware engineer, you know that it is standard practice to subject new products extreme temperature, humidity, over and under voltage, etc. in a test chamber before moving them into production. If you don't have this capability in-house, there are many testing companies here in the Valley that will do the job for you. Do you think that Roku did this? I sincerely doubt it.

Anyway, by now it must be obvious to Roku that the messed-up as far as the heat load of the box, power supply rating, etc. Charging its loyal customers $75 for a replacement power supply just isn't the way to make amends. Labor and shipping costs being what they are, they may want to stick with this price for units they repair, but they should also make available a cheaper, field installable unit. I kludged up a couple external power supplies to keep my HD1000's running and really wouldn't want to pull them out of service to send them to Roku. I would much rather install the new supply myself.

barrygordon

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:48 am

If you check back a few posts you will see I have documented a similar effort aimed at the less technically capable. The Power supply replacement costs a total of about $60 and could be put together by any competent tech or probably a high school student. It involves no soldering and makes a plug replacement for the existing supply, with a more rubust PSU that should run a lot cooler. It even provides the power and cable connection point to add a Fan. t does not modify or destroy in any way the existing supply, should Roku allow one to exchange failed supplies.

I have a used Roku coming in from E-Bay and I will wait until my PSU mod kit is needed to replace a PSU in the Roku.

skifiend

Should I buy a dead one?

Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:28 pm

I was about to go buy a demo model HD1000 from a local store when the salesman called to say that he plugged it in to check it for me and found that it would not power up.

The question that I am pondering is: should I buy the dead model and send it back for warranty to Roku? If they are not making any new replacements, will they fix it and return it? I wouldn't even consider the question if it wasn't for the fact that these cannot be found anywhere.

I don't want to buy this one with the intention of fixing the PSU. If there was a problem with in in addition to the PSU, my tinkering with the unit would void the warranty and I'd be SOL. Any suggestions?

barrygordon

Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:59 pm

It would depend on the price and what Roku had to say.

Roku will probably fix an out of warranty unit for the $75 if it is ony the Power supply, You could email them and ask. I don't see why they would care as long as the unit was out of warranty

What is the store asking for the dead unit?

There are Roku's for sale on ebay and they are going for about $350 (used)

There were even some "No power up units" for sale a while back