Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

rnugent

Sun May 15, 2005 10:22 pm

OK, to thier credit Roku fixed my machine. They handled it a bit clumsily but the intent was there for which I give them a big thumbs up. This box has tons of potential. Both in the retail and the custom installer markets. It's frustarting to see it lag behind the soundbridge (which you can now buy at Frye's). God I'd love to see some marketing at this company...

rnugent wrote:
and further more... The thing has NEVER worked right. It was great that they rebated us when the price dropped but the software has never been close to right and now that Roku us finally paying attention to this product again the F ing thing dies! Moral of the story is never buy a product from a start up...

Ray

JosephZy

Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:38 am

Add me to the list. My HD 1000 just died -- I've owned it about 15 months. No power whatsoever. I have an e-mail into Roku support but I'm still waiting for a response.

scashman

Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:25 pm

:cry: You can add me to the list too. I purchased mine on April 30, 2004. It died sometime yesterday. I've sent a message to Roku Support and I'm waiting for a response.
Steve Cashman

dozens

Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:46 pm

My unit purchased in march 04 just died as well, won't power up or pass through video.

scashman

Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:08 pm

scashman wrote:
:cry: You can add me to the list too. I purchased mine on April 30, 2004. It died sometime yesterday. I've sent a message to Roku Support and I'm waiting for a response.

An update on mine... I heard back from Support. They sent me an RMA number and shipping information. I sent the unit off to them via FedEx yesterday. They said they would ship out a replacement unit when they received mine, so I'm hoping it goes out from them soon since they'll get it today.
Steve Cashman

Steve Martin

Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:23 pm

When mine died (after 15 months or so), they had me send it in for repair. It came back nonfunctional (it would crash/reboot after about 1 minute even after reinitializing with release software via formatup.rok, etc.).

They had me send that back and are sending a replacement.

So, it has taken a while, but I should be back in business early next week.
Steve Martin

mehrdad

how to fix it!

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:04 am

My Roku also died after the warranty period so I had to fix it myself.
If you are good with electronic the read on otherwise STOP here and just buy another unit…

The most probable cause of failure is the power supply that is in the box. There is a 6A fast blow fuse already on the power supply board which can replaced if blown, but it requires soldering another part in since it is socketed.

I fixed my by replacing the current mode PWM controller IC (UC3842N) and the
n-channel FET (K2645) for switching the primary side of the transformer. The fuse was OK on my power supply board.

You can order the UC3842 from www.Digikey.com or from www.Ti.com and the find an alternate N-Channel MOSFET (600V/8A FET). Again you can find any number of replacements for this FET by going to www.digikey.com and using their selection tree.

Good luck and if you need trouble shooting help you can email me directly.

Good luck
Mehrdad

DO NOT TRY TO DO THIS IF YOU ARE NOT EXPERIENCED IN ELECTRONIC since hazardous voltages are present on the primary side of the power supply board.

SP

Re: how to fix it!

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:00 am

mehrdad wrote:
My Roku also died after the warranty period so I had to fix it myself.
If you are good with electronic the read on otherwise STOP here and just buy another unit…

The most probable cause of failure is the power supply that is in the box. There is a 6A fast blow fuse already on the power supply board which can replaced if blown, but it requires soldering another part in since it is socketed.

I fixed my by replacing the current mode PWM controller IC (UC3842N) and the
n-channel FET (K2645) for switching the primary side of the transformer. The fuse was OK on my power supply board.

You can order the UC3842 from www.Digikey.com or from www.Ti.com and the find an alternate N-Channel MOSFET (600V/8A FET). Again you can find any number of replacements for this FET by going to www.digikey.com and using their selection tree.

Good luck and if you need trouble shooting help you can email me directly.

Good luck
Mehrdad

DO NOT TRY TO DO THIS IF YOU ARE NOT EXPERIENCED IN ELECTRONIC since hazardous voltages are present on the primary side of the power supply board.

Just out of curiousity, is the power supply for the HD1000 on a separate board or a separate unit. I haven't had any issues with my HD1000 so far (knock on wood) and if I did I'd probably send it back to Roku for service rather than try fixing it myself, but if the power supply itself is a separate unit then perhaps it would be possible for those who are experienced in electronics and have an out of warranty unit that's failing to simply replace the whole power supply itself. In fact, if failures are so common in the power supply unit perhaps some electronically skilled individual could perhaps try completely replacing the existing stock power supply with a different more reliable unit provide one could be found that could supply all the right voltages. Any thoughts on this?

Also are the rev A and B power supplies any different and if not are there currently any plans by Roku to perhaps update or upgrade the power supplies used in the HD1000? As I said I've nad no issues with my HD1000, but I'd hate to think that I might in the future. I love my HD1000 and don't know what I'd do without it. :D

noneofyourbiznez

Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:02 pm

My RevA unit just died (within the past 2 weeks). I purchased it in March 2004... I had planned on purchasing a second unit within the next few weeks, but am now unsure about the product's longevity...

Is there word on the durability of HD1000 RevB's power unit?

Did anybody ever figure out how to completely power the unit off (other than unplugging the thing)?

Roku has expressed intent to continue to support the Photobridge, though they'll probably try to integrate the features of the Soundbridge OS into the next version of the Photobridge. They currently seem to be incompatible product lines, because Soundbridge requires a music server, while RokuOS on the HD1000 can access files off a file server (with cheap USB external HDs & NAS routers, who needs to leave their workstations running 24x7 just for the Roku?). Hopefully the Roku guys have anticipated these concerns.

BTW, many people who bought the first generation (RevA) HD1000s used the Roku Forum before it was wholly web-based... rnugent probably posted his feedback on the mailing list forum.

blacksmith wrote:

Not mean to be hard, but you have 2 posts so far. So my question is that when you had problem with setting it up, why didn't you post your questions here?
I have never had any problem with the unit. It would be nice if you can keep you tone down.

rnugent wrote:
and further more... The thing has NEVER worked right...

scashman

Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:03 am

scashman wrote:
scashman wrote:

An update on mine... I heard back from Support. They sent me an RMA number and shipping information. I sent the unit off to them via FedEx yesterday. They said they would ship out a replacement unit when they received mine, so I'm hoping it goes out from them soon since they'll get it today.

Another update...my revision A unit died back in early June. I sent it to Roku on June 22nd. I received a notice from Roku a couple weeks ago that the Revision B units are on back order. I have still not received the replacement unit after more than a month.

I sent an email to Roku customer service asking about the status over a week ago and still have not heard back from them. :(

I'm crossing my fingers that when I finally get it back that it lasts better than the last (just over a year).
Steve Cashman

noneofyourbiznez

Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:13 am

Just to update, after my RevA broke down in July, I contacted Roku support and they sent me an RMA by email within 1 week. Roku offered to fix the unit (off warranty) if I sent my HD1000 with a $50 check enclosed.

Within 4 days, the guys at Roku fixed and returned my original unit. It powered right up and, knock wood, the new power unit will last at least 2 years... or until I replace it with the next generation media player!

DavidBlyler

My REVA died - Power Supply

Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:06 pm

Waiting to hear back from ROKU support on out of warranty RevA HD1000 - sounds to me like they have a quality issue - I've had amplifiers work without fail for 20years. 12-24 month failures is unacceptable design.

bruceko

Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:55 pm

Mine won't power up either. It is about 1.5 years old

pedson

Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:50 am

Mine recently died after 16 months and was quoted the $50 repair charge. I realize it is out of warranty, but this is pretty weak. My TVs, cable box, DVD players, receiver, ReplayTV, and all of my computers are all on and used every day, and are older than the Roku and are doing fine. I use the Roku a couple times a week and the power supply on a consumer electronic device goes in less than 18 months?

I could understand if it was a random case, but based on just the reports in this forum they clearly built something that is not up to reasonable standards for this type of device, at least in the early batches. It is a tough call whether sink $50 into this unit or just put it towards a different player.

bruceko

Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:50 pm

I got the same $50 response for the repair. I'm have the same debate as to whether to sink more money into the Roku or go a different direction.