Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

pg_rider

Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:45 am

Burkhardi wrote:
pg_rider wrote:
Figured I'd add my name to the list. Funny, I thought that since my Roku is so old (Rev A, bought in June 2004) and it hadn't yet failed that I was going to get lucky.... WRONG!

So Burkhardi, is Pyramid still doing repairs? :D I couldn't find the post where you laid out the different repair options they provide...

Yes they are! Send that bad boy over.
http://www.pyramid-audio.com/

Sent my Roku out on a Friday, got it back the next Friday working better than ever! Even the range of the remote control is back to how it used to be (for the ~4 months before the PS died the remote's range had been greatly reduced). High marks for Pyramid Audio!

dj7675

Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:09 am

I had 3 of my 4 HD1000's fail and sent all 3 to Pyramid. 1 had a dead power supply, 1 the ready light just blinked but did not boot up, and the last one networking did not work (networked light just blinked). All 3 are fixed. Very pleased.

Darin

r111

Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:46 pm

pg_rider: can we just send our power supplies to you for repair? I've got one of my HD1000 taken apart and it would be easier just to send the PS to you.

MoJo

Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:09 pm

Mine's at Pyramid right now. Can't wait to get it back! I sent it to Roku last time and the repair they did only lasted 6 months...

dgburns

Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:36 am

r111 wrote:
pg_rider: can we just send our power supplies to you for repair? I've got one of my HD1000 taken apart and it would be easier just to send the PS to you.

You should probably call Chris at Pyramid (512) 458-8292. My guess would be it would be hard for them to stand behind their work if they can't verify it after, but maybe there's a spare lying around the shop down there?

Hey Matt...Got a count from Chris of how many Roku's have been fixed? Has a fixed one ever had to go back again?
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

Burkhardi

Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:35 am

dgburns wrote:
r111 wrote:

You should probably call Chris at Pyramid (512) 458-8292. My guess would be it would be hard for them to stand behind their work if they can't verify it after, but maybe there's a spare lying around the shop down there?

Hey Matt...Got a count from Chris of how many Roku's have been fixed? Has a fixed one ever had to go back again?

Pyramid can fix just the supply and they can load test it too. This is their "Basic Package" and is a solution for the DIY person or someone on a budget. Pyramid recommends the “Turn-Key Packageâ€
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

waynedunham

Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:39 am

I just shipped my Rev A to Pyramid Audio yesterday. I'm going for the PS and Mobo fixes. My PS died a couple months ago and I've been dragging my feet in hopes something newer would come along and replace the Photobridge.
I just can't miss out on my HD recordings any more and don't want to build a PC that's powerful enough and quiet enough for the Home Theater. (when power and silence increase at a slow, steady rate the $$$ required increases at an exponential rate!)

Based on the reports here from others who've trusted their baby to Pyramid Audio and received excellent results, I decided to bite the bullet and spend the $$ to get it repaired.
My PS lasted much longer than other folks have experienced so I consider myself lucky there.

They should have it by mid-week and hopefully the turnaround will be just as quick as others have experienced. :)

Thanks to both Pyramid Audio for giving the loyal Photobridge fans a way to keep them running, and to Burkhardi for being our "connection" to Pyramid Audio. 8)
Wayne Dunham

MoJo

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:19 pm

Woot! Just got my unit back from Pyramid yesterday and have been using it non-stop since. They replaced the power supply and modified the MB. Turn-around was fast and the price was reasonable. I have no doubt the unit will last for a long time now.

waynedunham

Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:18 am

They called me on Tuesday to say they received my unit and to get my Credit card info. They said I should have my unit back by the beginning of next week.

I haven't heard any more from them, so I'm hoping that the testing/repairs (PS and Mobo) are going without a hitch. :)

I can't wait to get the unit back!
Wayne Dunham

waynedunham

Another Pyramid Audio success story

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:16 pm

The UPS truck showed up with my Photobridge, back from Pyramid audio with the Power supply and motherboard repairs/updates. :D

I took this opportunity to move some of my inputs around on my AV receiver so that I could open up a Component input for the Roku enabling me to get 1080i out to my HDTV.

I plugged everything in, reconfigured my AV receiver and Tv for the updated video input, slapped the CF card back in the Roku and fired it up. After several minutes of scratching my head trying to figure out why I couldn't get anything but scrambled video I rechecked my connections and found that I'd swapped the green and blue color coded connections on the HDTV end. D'oohhh! :roll: Once I fixed that everything was great.

Now I can watch my HD recordings off my HTPC again! 8)

Thanks to Burkhardi for all his help here, and all the folks at Pyramid Audio for sticking by us and allowing us to keep our Photobridge's running! Next to my initial investment in the HD-1000/Photobridge the money spent at Pyramid Audio for the repairs/upgrades was some of the best money I've spent on my home theater!
My only regret is that I waited so long (3 months) before sending it in for repairs!

If there are any more of you out there with a photobridge sitting in the closet with a dead power supply, dig them out and ship them off to Pyramid Audio.
Wayne Dunham

mcornwell

Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:08 pm

Just had both of my Rev A units die within a week or two of each other... Based on the feedback here, I'll be contacting Pyramid.

dgburns

Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:21 am

Burkhardi wrote:
From my point of view, it may not be professional to comment on the number of units fixed. Let me contact Chris and see what he thinks about it and I’ll edit this post.

I don't honestly see why not. Nobody (not even Roku themselves) knows how many units were sold, so it's not like someone can be figuring out a failure rate or anything.

OBTW...have you posted about this service over in AVSForum? There are probably a lot of Roku owners that don't ever visit this forum.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

Burkhardi

Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:42 am

dgburns wrote:
Burkhardi wrote:
From my point of view, it may not be professional to comment on the number of units fixed. Let me contact Chris and see what he thinks about it and I’ll edit this post.

I don't honestly see why not. Nobody (not even Roku themselves) knows how many units were sold, so it's not like someone can be figuring out a failure rate or anything.

OBTW...have you posted about this service over in AVSForum? There are probably a lot of Roku owners that don't ever visit this forum.

Yes, I posted on the AVS Forum back in late March, early April. Thanks for the idea though, that is a great avenue!

Sorry, but Chris and I both have the same view on commenting. As the Godfather said, "it's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business"
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

icepack

Service Required-Roku Replaced when would not power up

Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:51 pm

Most recently, my Roku PhotoBridge would not power up at all. I have a service contract via the vendor that I purchased Unit. Turned out the unit was gone and my vendor replaced the entire unit with new Roku PhotoBridge. May be a problem with Roku if this is happening to multiple customers.

igleaner

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:16 am

Icepack - If I'm reading your message correctly, does your vendor have access to new PhotoBridges? And, are they Rev B?

I'd like to get my hands on one if he does!