Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

davilla

Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:37 am

U12 -- "It's dead Jim", replacement on order.

davilla

Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:53 pm

Transplant complete -- It's alive again. After the heat sink epoxy sets, I'll be up and running again.

bslayton

Dead Again!

Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:10 pm

Doh! Already had the PS replaced by Roku now my PB is dead again! Busy Light is on solid but Power light will not come on at all. Tried unplugging it severa times... always comes up in the same state... busy light on, no power light... pushing the power button does nothing...

Can Pyramid Audio fix this? Or is there something else I can do short of sending it in for repairs.

Thanks,
b.

Burkhardi

Re: Dead Again!

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:52 am

bslayton wrote:
Doh! Already had the PS replaced by Roku now my PB is dead again! Busy Light is on solid but Power light will not come on at all. Tried unplugging it severa times... always comes up in the same state... busy light on, no power light... pushing the power button does nothing...

Can Pyramid Audio fix this? Or is there something else I can do short of sending it in for repairs.

Thanks,
b.

Hello,
Unless you have the same skill-set and access to SMD tools as davilla, I would send it to Pyramid-Audio and have them fix it.
Regards, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

RI_Pilot

Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:49 pm

Does Pyramid-Audio still do the voltage regulator replacement/mod and power supply mods? I just sent them an email but want also want to know if anyone has used them lately.

I repaired the power supply in one of my HD1000s, but have another one with a failed voltage regulator and unmodified power supply.

I still use the HD1000 regularly and plan to use them for as long as possible.

Howard

mcornwell

Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:35 pm

No idea if they do the work anymore, but I'm selling my (2) HD1000's that they repaired last year (see my posts earlier in the thread to verify). They work perfectly and cooler than new.

Make me an offer on both, I'll be putting on ebay soon.

Burkhardi

Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:33 am

Hello Howard,
Yes, Pyramid-Audio is still taking care of the photobridge. There were three units at their shop the other day for repair when I went past to visit.

RI_Pilot wrote:
Does Pyramid-Audio still do the voltage regulator replacement/mod and power supply mods? I just sent them an email but want also want to know if anyone has used them lately.

I repaired the power supply in one of my HD1000s, but have another one with a failed voltage regulator and unmodified power supply.

I still use the HD1000 regularly and plan to use them for as long as possible.

Howard
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

petec

Power Supply Replacement

Tue May 12, 2009 6:55 am

If you are OK with a soldering iron you can replace the power supply and use an external brick. I just recently did mine. Very easy. Currently you can purchase a power supply from MP3 dot com and a power brick from Allellectronics dot com.

The power supplies at mp3 dot com are on clearance for around $12 and the brick is less than $20.

The most difficult part of the endeavor was drilling one hole for a standoff for the new PS board. Another is to use a solder wick / sucker to remove the original PS connector.

silkrod

Re: Power Supply Replacement

Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:37 pm

petec wrote:
If you are OK with a soldering iron you can replace the power supply and use an external brick. I just recently did mine. Very easy. Currently you can purchase a power supply from MP3 dot com and a power brick from Allellectronics dot com.

The power supplies at mp3 dot com are on clearance for around $12 and the brick is less than $20.

The most difficult part of the endeavor was drilling one hole for a standoff for the new PS board. Another is to use a solder wick / sucker to remove the original PS connector.

Hello Petec,
I've had my HD1000 since 6/1/06 and it finally died on me. It was working just fine a couple weeks ago, but when I attempted to use it last night, it would not power up. Can you give me a little more details about how you fixed yours?

Burkhardi

Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:44 pm

silkrod wrote:
petec wrote:

Hello Petec,
I've had my HD1000 since 6/1/06 and it finally died on me. It was working just fine a couple weeks ago, but when I attempted to use it last night, it would not power up. Can you give me a little more details about how you fixed yours?

Sorry to but in, but see if this link helps in the interium untill Petec gets back to you...
Regards, Matt
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=12765

silkrod

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:53 pm

Burkhardi wrote:
silkrod wrote:
petec wrote:

Hello Petec,

Sorry to but in, but see if this link helps in the interium untill Petec gets back to you...
Regards, Matt
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=12765

Hey Matt,
Thanks for buttin' in....I'll look over the post and see what I can do. Again, thanks for the info.
Rodney

silkrod

Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:38 pm

Hello Matt,

I have a couple questions about the link you refered me too concerning replacing the PS of my HD1000.

Questions:
1. Should I use the 60W or 80W Morex PS?
2. Will any 12V Power Brick be sufficient?
3. Does all the Morex PS' have the required voltages (3.3V & 5V)?
4. Is it necessary to replace the power plug on the HD's motherboard, or can I just cut the cables from the old PS?

What do you think of the following three items? Any suggestions are welcomed:

Morex 80W PS for $3.99: http://store.mp3car.com/product_p/pwr-030.htm
Morex 60W PS for 99cents: http://store.mp3car.com/product_p/pwr-030-0001.htm
12V, 1.5A Power Brick for $5.99: http://store.mp3car.com/AC_DC_Power_Brick_120_Volt_AC_to_12V_DC_500mA_p/com-025.htm

Thanks,

Rodney

Burkhardi

Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:49 am

WOW that is cheap!

It use to be $40 from them in the day and even the lower $19 is still cheap; so $0.99 is smok'n (as is the $3.99 80w). Yea, I would hop on that if I were you.
You can see here, they are still $46
http://www.logicsupply.com/products/powerkit60

The 60W PSU should work fine but I think your wall-wart/power-brick choice is too small. Since it's a 12v wart supplying the power and the PSU is a 60W then you need a 60W one which is 5amp (12v 5amp = 60w). So the one you were wanting would only be a 18W wart
Here is one and I am sure you can find on cheaper somewhere...
http://www.logicsupply.com/products/pw_ac_60w

In the test unit I built to compare the Morex to a Pyramid unit, I used a 80W PSU and a 60W wall-wart. I chose the 80W PSU since the 5v rail was rated at a tad higher current and I choose the 60W wall-wart since I was not going to use the PSU to it's full output (e.g. no 12v out use and such).

Since 3.99 is still cheap, I would do the 80W, it's worth the extra $3 I would guess. Make sure they don't stick it to you with shipping.

You can scab the power supply into the OEM harness if you want. Most people keep the OEM connector on the Mores and then scab into the OEM harness for the HD1000's main board. I choose to ace the OEM connector on the Morex and solder wires stright to it due to height issues. Most people find that it is almost too tall to fit under the HD1000's case. Also, I choose to make a replacement connector for the main board too, since I was doing all that. I used the same type and got the parts from Fry's.
Here is a picture of a typical install...
http://rev-a-dead-roku-club.blogspot.com/
You can see where they had height issues.

You have a lot of custom work ahead of you. It's fun and takes time, but most opt for the Basic $59 OEM power supply rebuild and upgrade from Pyramid-Audio; or the turn-key for $89 where they also address Main Board issues too. However, if you do the Morex and have issues with your main board later, they can fix that for $39 (called the 3rd option).
See if this post helps (look at posts 1,3 and 17 in that thread).
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=831514

however, with the Morex at $0.99 or $3.99, it might be worth your time?

Hope that helps, Matt

silkrod

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:51 am

Wow Matt....I never expected such a detailed response. Thank you very much. I have decided that with my schedule and the fact that I don't even know where my soldering iron is, I'll go with one of the Pyramid-Audio solutions. If I had more time, I would do the Morex solution just out of curriousity and fun. Now as stated before, my HD1000 was working fine a couple weeks ago. I just attempted to use it this past weekend and it would not power up. I only assumed the PS had died. How do I know if I have Main Mother Board issues?

Also, am I correct to assume that you work at or own Pyramid-Audio?

Rodney

Burkhardi

Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:10 am

silkrod wrote:
Wow Matt....I never expected such a detailed response. Thank you very much. I have decided that with my schedule and the fact that I don't even know where my soldering iron is, I'll go with one of the Pyramid-Audio solutions. If I had more time, I would do the Morex solution just out of curriousity and fun. Now as stated before, my HD1000 was working fine a couple weeks ago. I just attempted to use it this past weekend and it would not power up. I only assumed the PS had died. How do I know if I have Main Mother Board issues?

Also, am I correct to assume that you work at or own Pyramid-Audio?

Rodney

No I don't work there nor do I own it, I am their resident cockroach (a pest they can not get rid of...LOL). I have know the owner for over 20years and he has a EE and he lets me come up there from time to time to work on my own stuff when I don't have the proper tool/equiment at home; or if I have some theory or ideas to work on or need his input.

You will not know if you have a main board issue untill they look at the unit; both issues can have the same symptom and most of the time it's the PSU, but the modifications they do to the main board address any issues it may have (most of this centers around U12 (the 1.5v VR)). There have been times where we have seen both a PSU failure and U12 failure at the same time. I work on the HD1000 at my house sometimes for forum members when I have time, but I don't have a lot of that right now so your probably better off sending it to Pyramid then me, I am focusing on R1000 repairs right now.

hope that was helpful. Matt