Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

olllllo

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:11 pm

tjfounder

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:05 pm

olllllo wrote:

No. Thats not the problem. I'm getting a proper video signal when I power up the machine, but in the boot process it just cant get beyond the "Loading Roku OS screen." Some parts of the machine bios seem to be intact, as it will reboot pressing the power button, the loading Roku OS screen appears, and the busy light as it boots starts blinking, but it cant past this part. I figured maybe parts of the OS got corrupted, so I put the formatup.rok in the flashcard main directory and rebooted but it still hangs. If the flash card is not in when the machine powers up the difference is the loading roku os screen appears and the busy booting panel light flashes. I was hoping to salvage this rebuilding project but it looks like when the power supply died , smoe other components might have died also.

dgburns

Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:54 pm

tjfounder wrote:
I figured maybe parts of the OS got corrupted, so I put the formatup.rok in the flashcard main directory and rebooted but it still hangs.

Another user was having a problem "downgrading" his firmware via CF, changing the permissions on formatup.rok to 777 (vice 755 he had) made the "downgrade" work. From the way you describe, it sounds like corrupt OS and installing a new one isn't working. Worth a shot I suppose since it's otherwise a paperweight.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

andy

More instructions for replacing the power supply

Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:42 pm

I just successfully replaced the power supply in my PhotoBridge. I have posted the steps I followed here:

http://frequal.com/roku/PowerSupplyRepl ... Guide.html

Not only does my PhotoBridge turn on now, but it is greatly improved. In particular, the range of the remote control has increased tremendously. It now works as well as or better than my other components. Additionally, with the power brick separate, the PB shouldn't get as hot.

Thanks to olllllo, barrygordon, improv, and everyone else who gave lots of information on the power supply fix.
Andy Oliver
LiveSpy: Watch Live Webcams:http://frequal.com/LiveSpy/roku/index.html
VncSix: Web Surfing+:http://frequal.com/roku/VncSix/index.html
SongInfo:http://frequal.com/roku/SongInfo/index.html

olllllo

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:02 am

Great job andy!

dtaubert

Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:06 am

My rev A's power supply just died today. :x

Can you say class action?

Derek

dtaubert

Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:40 am

RokuPatrick wrote:
We have put up a modest gallery at http://www.rokulabs.com/products/showcase.php . If you would like to submit your own photos, send a photo and a few words about it, including your location, to photos@rokulabs.com.

I have a picture of my HD1000 in a trash can after the power supply died. I don't suppose that will make it onto the gallery...

Derek

dtaubert

Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:15 am

Fan. While moving the power brick outside of the PhotoBridge case should already help, some people are still concerned about heat buildup. If a small enough fan could be found, it could be placed in the case to circulate and keep the components cooler. It could potentially be powered by the spare pins on the Morex power supply.

A row of these mounted over the holes already drilled in the side would do the trick:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/CF-248/220/25MM_5VDC_COOLING_FAN_.html

Derek

gordo

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:06 am

Perfect timing - I am back up and running - I also have the impression of improved IR reception but may just be a placebo effect. In any case reduced heat generation should be a plus.

I think this is definitely the way to go, not only cheaper than getting Roku to fix it but also probably a better quality result than putting in another of the same flakey Power Supplies.

Thanks Andy!

tjfounder

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:13 pm

dgburns wrote:
tjfounder wrote:
I figured maybe parts of the OS got corrupted, so I put the formatup.rok in the flashcard main directory and rebooted but it still hangs.

Another user was having a problem "downgrading" his firmware via CF, changing the permissions on formatup.rok to 777 (vice 755 he had) made the "downgrade" work. From the way you describe, it sounds like corrupt OS and installing a new one isn't working. Worth a shot I suppose since it's otherwise a paperweight.

AS it turns out my 1st replacement micro power supply wont cut it with the ROKU. I dont know why as the specs met the voltage requirements.

I finally got the Mirai solutions ATX and the ROKU is now back up and running great. Mirai has been back ordered forever as there is a big demand for this product. (Must be all the ROKU failed PS owners). I am curious as to what other ATX supplies if any have worked with the ROKU. The micro ATX I tried 1st had a nice quiet fan and a toggle switch in the back. It powered the machine up to the loading OS screen , but the desktop never loaded. It always seemed to be in a loop state, so I thought the OS might have been corrupted. The Mirai (whew!) is working flawlessly.

Thanks for all the info for the power supply replacement.

andy

Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:42 am

tjfounder wrote:
I finally got the Mirai solutions ATX and the ROKU is now back up and running great. Mirai has been back ordered forever as there is a big demand for this product.

I hope olllllo gets a commission from Mirai Solutions! He's the one who found the Mirai PS and posted the first pictures of it used in a PB repair. It seems to be a great fit, both electrically and mechanically.

I have some pictures I took while replacing the PS, sometime I'll get motivated and add them to my online repair guide.
Andy Oliver

LiveSpy: Watch Live Webcams:http://frequal.com/LiveSpy/roku/index.html

VncSix: Web Surfing+:http://frequal.com/roku/VncSix/index.html

SongInfo:http://frequal.com/roku/SongInfo/index.html

dtaubert

Morex 60W supply

Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:00 pm

:!:

The Morex 60W power supply is spec'ed for only 4A @ 3.3V. Since the original supply states 7A @ 3.3V, I'm a little concerned about long term reliability.

Has anyone measured the actual voltage on the Roku board with the Morex 60W supply, or measured the current draw?

Derek

dtaubert

Re: how to fix it!

Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:56 pm

mehrdad wrote:
I fixed my by replacing the current mode PWM controller IC (UC3842N) and the
n-channel FET (K2645) for switching the primary side of the transformer.

My board doesn't seem to have a FET on the primary transformer side, but it does have a UC3842BN that appears to have failed (Vi is only 2.4V). I'm going to try replacing it.

Would you please point out the FET if you see it on this picture?

Edit: found the FET (labeled Q3) under the grey bag. I guess that's supposed to be electrically insulated but thermally conductive...

Thanks,
Derek

P.S.: The datasheet for the PWM controller can be found here.

dtaubert

Fixed stock power supply

Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:22 pm

I was able to fix my power supply by replacing the 3842B and the 47µf electrolytic capacitor C5. The electrolytic had degraded (from the heat, no doubt) to about a 9µf cap with a lot of leakage, so it wasn't able to charge to the 30V needed to kick the 3842B into action.

$1.16 w/ free shipping from www.mouser.com for a genuine ST UC3842BN, and $1.29 from Radio Shack for the capacitor.

Derek

dgburns

Re: Fixed stock power supply

Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:26 pm

dtaubert wrote:
I was able to fix my power supply by replacing the 3842B and the 47µf electrolytic capacitor C5.

Sure would be interesting if others with the technical skill and who still have their dead Roku supply could also try this. Seems a bit cheaper and more "return to factory stock" than all the ideas (cool as they are) about alternative power supplies.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2