Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

smalenfant
Topic Author

Before I buy ">2GB and Myth"

Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:15 pm

I've search most of the forums here, but it's not clear that this product will do what I need.

Does it support SMB share and file > 2GB?

Does it support NFSv3? I have an NSLU2 running both smb and nfs, I prefer NFS, but I'm not sure which one gives better performance.

Does it support wide industry uses of UDP streaming of MPEG-TS packets (7 188-bytes TS per IP packet)? That seems to be the prefered transport of MPEG over IP.

I heard that somebody is working on MythTV support, how far are we from getting something to work (like just watching the recording from MPEG-2 encoder or ATSC receiver card). I know I could use the smb share for that, but I would like the description, pictures, etc...

MythTV Backend is great, but the frontend is always the problem for HDTV.

I'm pretty that if I can find one in a store, I'll buy it. I feel it's going to be one of these things that will make me go to bed at 4am and that my wife won't be happy about (unless it works well to view her shows...)

Thanks for your replies.

blacksnake

Re: Before I buy ">2GB and Myth"

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:54 pm

I don't know the answer for your questions, but if you have a ATSC card, check out TSREAder www.coolstf.com
TSReader supports both sat of OTA card, then streaming to the Roku, very neat program.

smalenfant wrote:
I've search most of the forums here, but it's not clear that this product will do what I need.

Does it support SMB share and file > 2GB?

Does it support NFSv3? I have an NSLU2 running both smb and nfs, I prefer NFS, but I'm not sure which one gives better performance.

Does it support wide industry uses of UDP streaming of MPEG-TS packets (7 188-bytes TS per IP packet)? That seems to be the prefered transport of MPEG over IP.

I heard that somebody is working on MythTV support, how far are we from getting something to work (like just watching the recording from MPEG-2 encoder or ATSC receiver card). I know I could use the smb share for that, but I would like the description, pictures, etc...

MythTV Backend is great, but the frontend is always the problem for HDTV.

I'm pretty that if I can find one in a store, I'll buy it. I feel it's going to be one of these things that will make me go to bed at 4am and that my wife won't be happy about (unless it works well to view her shows...)

Thanks for your replies.

PRMan

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:48 pm

It will support a file over 2GB on SMB, as long as it is NTFS and not FAT32. Not sure about Linux SMB, if that is what you are asking.
PRMan

pxegeek

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:50 pm

Yes it supports SMB (Windows and Linux) and NFSv3 (I'm running that on my NSLU2 also). NFS is noticeably faster than SMB.

Chris

arock

Re: Before I buy ">2GB and Myth"

Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:44 pm

smalenfant wrote:

This is what my UdpLive program is for. A version for 1.5.18 firmware is at http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=785 - a 2.0.x build will be out when the next beta release happens. You can use this for any program which sends UDP packets full of MPEG-TS to the Roku, including VLC.

_arock

ggmorton

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:50 pm

pxegeek wrote:
Yes it supports SMB (Windows and Linux) and NFSv3 (I'm running that on my NSLU2 also). NFS is noticeably faster than SMB.
Chris

Files > 2GB don't currently work on NFS. They supposedly work on a samba, but I haven't been able to get it to work yet. Some people have. I'm not sure if large file support for NFS is on the radar or not in the next firmware release.

I would love for the PB to be setup to run as a mythtv frontend. I'm not sure how far away that is or even if it is possible. I would be willing to help work on this. I might need some help getting my development environment set-up. Right now I can manually browse to the pcHDTV recorded file and the PB will play it fine with no problem. Is there anybody on this forum working on a mythtv set-up with the PB?

soiaf

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:58 pm

Is there anybody on this forum working on a mythtv set-up with the PB?

I think so...

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2016