Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Eric_C

Build DVD Media Library for playback

Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:55 pm

I have an idea to take my DVD's and put them all on the PC, then hopefully be able to play them over the Roku.

I've done some readying and I get the idea it can, and cannot be done.

anyone help?

thanks

bgrubb2

dvd library

Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:19 pm

This question of DVD libraries seems to keep coming up with no answers.
Here is what I have been doing, seems to work pretty flower well
(1) rip your DVD (for personal backup use) Smart ripper and DVD decrypter seem to work good
(2) Bomb to a command shell and concantonate the vob files together into 1 big file use the /B command for binary mode aka copy /B vts01_1.vob+vts_01_2.vob+vts_01_3.vob+vts_01_4.vob+etc vtsall.vob
(3) open the big file with VLC, enable steam to file and name the output vtsall.ts
(4) Call up TSreaderlight and examine the file. See where the video and audio streams are. Usually on 0x0044 and 0x0045, but vary on which is video and which is audio
(5) run the vtsall.ts file through tstoatsc using the -c flag for correction, aka tstoatsc -c vtsall.ts vts1 0x0045 0x0044 (assuming video is on 45, audio is on 44)
You should now have a bunch of 140K (1 minute long) transport stream files that play fine through CinemaSix, Streamplayer, and Tstream

shanecole

Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:31 pm

I have problems with the audio coming and going (without any sort of consistency), TStoATSC3 using a offset helped a LOT but still not letting me watch a whole program or anything.

Anyone else using TStoATSC3 to get audio playing proper with luck?

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:18 pm

shanecole wrote:
Anyone else using TStoATSC3 to get audio playing proper with luck?
TStoATSC3 almost always works for me when I have audio drop-outs. I typically use an offset of -4000.
The few times it's not worked for me, the stream has had AC3 5.1 audio, and the only way I could fix it was to mix it down to 2 channels with VLC. Mind you, this has only been necessary on one or two occassions. I usually don't have trouble with 5.1 audio, and never have had trouble with 2 channel.

TheEndless

HookedOnTV

Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:09 pm

I have to ask... why are you torturing yourselves with converting program streams to transport streams. Just use CinemaSix. Sure there can be lipsync issues but they can be overcome in a couple seconds at the start of movie never having to be dealt with again for the remainder of the movie.
- Travis

TheEndless

Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:02 pm

HookedOnTV wrote:
I have to ask... why are you torturing yourselves with converting program streams to transport streams.

I was actually referring more to AVIs that I've converted, and a few TS files that had choppy audio.
As for using CinemaSix, I actually find it more annoying to lose audio sync when it switches to the next vob, than I do the process of converting the VOB to a TS. I've actually been successful with converting a VOB to a TS with VLC, then using HJSplit to split it into smaller chunks. When this works, it's much nicer than using TStoATSC, because you end up with 1.5 gigs of TS files afterwards rather than 7 gigs of TS files (on a 45 minute show).
I absolutely love the "Rotate button to recover sync" functionality of CinemaSix, but it always skips ahead 3 or 4 seconds in order to achieve the re-sync, which, by the time I've gotten hold of the remote and gotten the Rotate button to register, I've lost a good 20 to 30 seconds of audio on the stream. And I have yet to figure out (if there is a way) how to get CinemaSix to skip forward/backward to the next/previous TS file.

TStream, so far, has crashed on me more times than it's worked for me. Really looking forward to that one getting stabilized! Keep up the good work!

TheEndless

bgrubb2

Hjsplit

Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:43 am

TheEndless
You said "when this works" what does that imply ??
I tried your method, but get no audio. Normally that is fixed by tstoatsc when you supply it the PID's, but you cant do that with HJSpllit

TheEndless

Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:39 am

I've only tried it with DVD VOBs that I've made from AVIs I wanted to convert. After creating the VOBs with NeroVision Express, I then convert them to TS with VLC, no transcoding, and run HJSplit (~26MB splits for ~1 minute segments) on the TS. Then I rename the split files so they all end in TS. The PIDs end up as 0x0044 and 0x0045 (standard for DVD, I believe). The final result plays fine in StreamPlayer.

I'll give it a try with a standard non-encrypted DVD later, and let you know if it works.

TheEndless

TheEndless

Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:22 pm

Ok, I tried the same method with an unencrypted DVD and it worked with one exception. StreamPlayer played it fine with the exception of having no audio on the first file. Once it hit the second file everything played fine. CinemaSix was able to play it from the beginning with no problems at all.

Now, I have experienced no sound with it before when the audio stream was Linear PCM. When it's Dolby Digital 2.0 or 5.1 I don't have any problems at all.

TheEndless

RoyPereira

Playing movies from a video library

Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:50 am

I've been looking into how I could play any of my (legally) ripped movies and other downloaded videos through the Roku. I started off with CinemaSix, but quickly realized that most videos were not in Roku's required video format.

So, I built a Windows server application and a roku GUI application that talk to one another. The server sends out the list of available videos and the client displays them on the TV. Once I select which video I want to see, the server then calls up VLC with the correct paratemers to stream the video to Roku as well as converting it to a TS MPEG2.

Most things are working well, but the software needs a little more tweaking before I post it on my website.

r111

Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:51 pm

Very cool. Where Roku support for enhancements is lacking, I give great credit to third party developers those who are trying to provide needed functionality for the user community!