Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Alternative to HD1000

Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:46 am

ok, after 3 weeks my with Roku, I'm going to return it and wait for this device from Viewsonic which should be in stores shortly

http://store.viewsonic.com/html/ibeCCtp ... 9B22269%7E

I realize it doesn't have memory card inputs, but the only thing I use that for is to create a swap file to compensate for the HD1000 lack of memory.
Also, I'm not a linux hacker, so I can't write my own code to make this thing any more user friendly. The viewsonic has DVI output and 80 or 120 gig Drive to store your media with built in 802 b and G as well as lan network options.

Sorry Roku, nice device but hardware without complimenting software is not a solution. When 3rd party free software way outperforms the built in software you know there is a development weakness.

Best of luck to all of you.

Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:50 am

I know the HD1000 isn't that great, (hopefully) yet. But you may find the alternatives less attractive once you try them out. Please post back and let us know what you find.

Cheers

GeneArch

Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:53 am

Honestly.. I can't say that I blame you.

We're 10 months into the HD1000 and it really hasn't moved. Many promises, next to zero delivery. :roll:

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:58 am

I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like the ViewSonic solution supports native HD video. It says it auto-detects and scales video up to the native resolution of the connected display (via DVI), but doesn't, in any of the literature I've read, specifically mention anything about HD data. I'd be interested to know if it supports HD transport streams, which is what I primarily use my HD1000 for.

TheEndless

Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:11 pm

I spoke to a rep who said it can support any file resolution you feed it and will scale up or down to fit dispaly. So, you can view a 6 megapixel image and it will be scalled down to 720P or 1080i etc.. Or you can view a 640x480 and it will scale up to fit your display. I am going to call them to confirm 100% and I will post the answers on this thread.

RokuPatrick

Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:43 pm

While we're confident our products stack up very well against the competition, this forum is for the discussion of Roku products. This discussion has nothing to do with the HD1000.