Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RCPerkinsJr
Topic Author

Rev A -vs- Rev B ... Would some one please explain?

Wed May 04, 2005 8:02 pm

I am not able to find anything out about a Rev a or Rev b on the Roku site, nothing in the forums. So, would someone please:

1. What is the difference?

2. Can a Rev A be upgraded/returned for a Rev B?

3. Is there a difference in cost?

4. How do you tell what you got?

5. Anything else about them I didnt ask?
-rp-

New to Roku's :)

PRMan

Thu May 05, 2005 3:49 am

1. 128 MB RAM vs 64 MB RAM.

2. No.

3. No.

4. Rev B units have Rev B on the Serial Number sticker. Also, in System Information (in any 2.x beta version), you will have about 91-93 MB free when you first boot on a Rev B unit. I would guess you could subtract 64 MB from that on a Rev A unit.

5. A swapfile is basically required on a Rev A unit if you want to run third-party software. You can set one up on a Rev B unit, but it is apparently not really necessary.
PRMan

andy

Thu May 05, 2005 8:33 pm

PRMan wrote:

And a more powerful remote, if I remember correctly.
Andy Oliver
LiveSpy: Watch Live Webcams:http://frequal.com/LiveSpy/roku/index.html
VncSix: Web Surfing+:http://frequal.com/roku/VncSix/index.html
SongInfo:http://frequal.com/roku/SongInfo/index.html

RCPerkinsJr
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2005 8:27 am

Well, that just SUCKS!

There should be some sort of upgrade path or something!
-rp-

New to Roku's :)

PRMan

Fri May 06, 2005 10:16 am

andy wrote:
PRMan wrote:

And a more powerful remote, if I remember correctly.

I don't know, my remote is pretty poor. Do you mean IR brightness?
PRMan

MoJo

Fri May 06, 2005 12:35 pm

Really the difference between a Rev A and Rev B are really minor. You could consider it akin to a 2005 model car and a 2006 model car (or a 2005 model stereo receiver and a 2006 model stereo receiver). The car dealers (and hi-fi retailers) don't offer an upgrade path for free either other than selling you a new car (or stereo). :-)

Unless you are a constant CF card user, if you can get your hands on a 128MB to 256MB CF card and just leave it in the slot you'll be just fine (other than having to restart it each time you reboot). I run music and stuff all the time and often forget to engage the swap and things almost always work flowlessly except sometimes when using Mplay.

Also, I have used my Rev A remote from more than 30' away. I think the assumed lack of power seems to have more to do with direction the remote is pointed rather than it's power. My wife often holds the remote in her hand with it pointing ever so slightly upwards and then can't get the remote to work. I'll then grab it from her :wink: and point the transmitter part of the remote at the Roku and it always works without a hitch. At least as long as the unit itself is not having lockup issues.

Maybe I'm just lucky????

RussNoble

RevA vs. RevB

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:53 am

If that is all the new revision does, then why the upgrade...there has to be a significant reason for the upgrade no?

heilpern

Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:36 pm

Unless you are a constant CF card user, if you can get your hands on a 128MB to 256MB CF card and just leave it in the slot you'll be just fine (other than having to restart it each time you reboot).
I believe there is a way to avoid manually restarting it. I don't remember specifics, but I think if a file of a certain name exists on the CF, it will be executed, so you could put the swap on command(s) in there.

Wulgaru

Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:36 pm

I assume that's why they are revision A and B versus HD 1000 and HD 2000. Such a minor change is reflected in minor labling differences.

dgburns

Re: RevA vs. RevB

Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:38 pm

RussNoble wrote:
If that is all the new revision does, then why the upgrade...there has to be a significant reason for the upgrade no?

They probably upgraded it to make it more realistic as a HD video streamer, as has been pointed out above (and other threads) trying to do so reliably on a Rev A unit without swap was not so successful.

Side benefit is third-party developers have more RAM to work with.

Downside is nobody's heard if Roku will offer an upgrade, or if off-the-shelf RAM can be added to an out-of-warranty Rev A unit. If some enterprising out-of-warranty user were to open up and inspect, and see if the RAM is in sockets, I'm sure instructions could be developed so that same enterprising souls could upgrade RAM (can't imagine as "open" as Roku is that they'd use any sort of proprietary RAM). Let's just hope it's not RAMBUS RAM! :wink:
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

soiaf

Re: RevA vs. RevB

Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:06 am

dgburns wrote:
Downside is nobody's heard if Roku will offer an upgrade, or if off-the-shelf RAM can be added to an out-of-warranty Rev A unit. If some enterprising out-of-warranty user were to open up and inspect, and see if the RAM is in sockets, I'm sure instructions could be developed so that same enterprising souls could upgrade RAM (can't imagine as "open" as Roku is that they'd use any sort of proprietary RAM). Let's just hope it's not RAMBUS RAM! :wink:

It would involve more than just replacing the memory chips, Roku also (slightly) modified the ROM to add support for the extra memory (RAM).

arock

Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:33 am

Extra RAM has nothing to do with reliability for HD streaming and decoding. You can run mPlay, MythRoku, and others all day on a Rev. A unit with no swap file. If you have 20,000 MP3 files and want them indexed in memory, that's another matter.