Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

barrygordon
Topic Author

To Roku Management

Mon May 09, 2005 9:28 am

The Roku player is a superb device. being one of your earliest supporters I do feel a bit trod upon (or to put it bluntly screwed). I have a Roku Photobridge model A. I would really like to be able to upgrade to a Model B with the additional memory. Why can't you offer an upgrade plan along the following lines:

You ship me a Roku model "B", it does not have to be new, it can be a factory refurbished model "A". I pay for shipping

I ship you back the model "A" using the packing material you supplied with the model "B". I pay for shipping

You charge my credit card a reasonable fee, $50-$100.

You make a lot of your initial customers happy.

I'll bet you will be abled to sell a lot of the Refurbished model B units at a reduced price and still make a profit.

How about it? Good customer relations!!

Steve Martin

Mon May 09, 2005 11:03 am

My RevA just died (power supply issue, seems to be pretty common after 12-16 months of use given the other thread on it here).

Would be nice if it could be upgrade when I send it in for repair, but not really a big deal since I have a large CF card to use for swap.
Steve Martin

RokuShawn
Roku Support

Mon May 09, 2005 11:10 am

We currently do not have such a program in place to accommodate Rev A HD1000 customers after 30 days from the purchase date. One of the main reasons is that we do not have a large inventory of "B Stock" rev B units.

We may consider something like this in the future, but currently there are no immediate plans in place.

We have been taking care of our customers who are experiencing power supply issues. Please contact support for assistance.

cutecasper

Mon May 09, 2005 11:14 am

Barry,

what about selling your HD1000a to one of your friends for what you call a "reasonable price" and getting you a new one ;)

That will help Roku, too! :P

Bye... Casper
--
You never run out of things that can go wrong... (Murphy)
--

barrygordon
Topic Author

Mon May 09, 2005 11:23 am

I actually thought about that. If anybody on this forum wants to buy my unit for a reasoable price (It is in mint condition) lets say $200, Plus shipping (I am in zip 32952) I would be willing to discuss it.

The program I outlined is interesting in that it is self perpetuating. The "Upgrade labor" should not be hard but would require the tools to desolder/re-solder surface mount chips (I am assuming). I am okay with a soldering station, but I am too old (not steady enough for SM work. As units come back they are upgraded and supplied to future customers who want an upgrade. Perhaps a poll on how many customers would particiapte in such a swap out program at various price points would be interesting.

An alternate that might be nice would be for Roku to give out the information in a tech note as to what has to be done (I assume it is merely replacing the memory chip and maybe some"glue" components). Obviously software wise they are identical. If they did that then I could have an experienced SM tech do the work for me (recognizing I would void my warranty).

Any other comments and thoughts would be appreciated.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Mon May 09, 2005 11:34 am

barrygordon wrote:
An alternate that might be nice would be for Roku to give out the information in a tech note as to what has to be done (I assume it is merely replacing the memory chip and maybe some"glue" components). Obviously software wise they are identical. If they did that then I could have an experienced SM tech do the work for me (recognizing I would void my warranty).

They have said several times in these forums, it's not a simple as just replacing the chips.

From this thread: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1133
RokuPatrick wrote:
Unfortunately, there's also bootrom changes to support the new ram chips, and those are very much not user-upgradable.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Morbo

Wed May 11, 2005 4:29 pm

The bootrom is just another chip, and one that is far easier to remove/replace than the DRAMs. If Roku were taking in revA units and turning them into revB units, it would likely only take an experienced tech with the right equipment ~10-20 minutes to do the remove/replace on all the DRAMs plus the EPROM.

If I were Roku looking to keep my early adopters happy the scheme outlined above would work well and be fairly inexpensive. They could start off with a few refurbished revA (or new revB) units to send out as part of the swap, and as they get in revA units those would go through the roughly 1 hour process of a tech removing the DRAMs and EPROM, putting down replacement (larger) DRAMs and a new EPROM, booting up the fixed box and installing the latest software (1.x? 2.x? who knows), doing some basic testing to see that everything still works (it would be pretty obvious if some pins weren't soldered correctly), and then tossing that unit into the refurbished-B pile to be sent out again.

The total cost to Roku would be the the replacement DRAMs and the tech's time. The removed EPROMs could be reprogrammed for reuse. Add in shipping and some overhead and the price would surely be less than a brand new unit.

rnugent

Sun May 15, 2005 10:31 pm

Translation: The Photobridge 2000 is immenant. Replacing your old, screwed up unit with a slightly less old, screwed up unit does not make sense. Hang in there, we'll have a program to upgrade all our early adopters some time soon.

RokuShawn wrote:
We currently do not have such a program in place to accommodate Rev A HD1000 customers after 30 days from the purchase date. One of the main reasons is that we do not have a large inventory of "B Stock" rev B units.

We may consider something like this in the future, but currently there are no immediate plans in place.

We have been taking care of our customers who are experiencing power supply issues. Please contact support for assistance.

barrygordon
Topic Author

Mon May 16, 2005 6:32 am

Do you work for or represent Roku? If not what is the source of your statement.

PRMan

Mon May 16, 2005 8:25 am

Alternate translation:

There are a lot of units out there and since a swap file works decently for now, it's not worth it to swap them all out.
PRMan

jor

Mon May 16, 2005 4:16 pm

Or Simplest translation: while the extra memory headroom is nice, few of our customers would benefit from it, and the others can get much of the gains just by using a swap file.

blacksnake

Sun May 22, 2005 2:15 pm

For $50-100, I would consider to get a CF card, make a swapfile. I am using version A with a 256m CF, have not had any problem at all. Smooth HD. Please check your PM. If you are willing to let it go at affordable price, I will take it.
REgards,

barrygordon wrote:
I actually thought about that. If anybody on this forum wants to buy my unit for a reasoable price (It is in mint condition) lets say $200, Plus shipping (I am in zip 32952) I would be willing to discuss it.

The program I outlined is interesting in that it is self perpetuating. The "Upgrade labor" should not be hard but would require the tools to desolder/re-solder surface mount chips (I am assuming). I am okay with a soldering station, but I am too old (not steady enough for SM work. As units come back they are upgraded and supplied to future customers who want an upgrade. Perhaps a poll on how many customers would particiapte in such a swap out program at various price points would be interesting.

Any other comments and thoughts would be appreciated.

PRMan

Mon May 23, 2005 9:48 am

It's under $15 for a 128MB at lots of places. That's plenty, seeing as how the swapfile only needs to be 64MB.
PRMan