Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

wyzard

Best program for converting AVI or MPEG to MPEG-TS

Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:25 am

What's are some of the best options for converting AVI and MPEG to MPEG-TS for playing on the Roku? Don't care if I have to pay for it. Just looking for something that would work.

I've currently got Roxio Easy Media Creator and haven't tried this, but don't know if it will do what I want?.

Thanks for the help.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:39 am

I've been using NeroVision Express (part of Nero 6) to convert my AVIs to DVD VOBs, then use VLC to convert the VOB to a TS. The transcoding takes quite some time, so I usually queue up 4 or five videos per "DVD" then let it do it's magic over night. Aside from the time it takes (typically takes about 1 hour to transcode 1 hour of video), I have yet to have any problems with this method.

There are a few other options out there that work. A cheaper alternative is Cucusoft MPEG/AVI to DVD/VCD/SVCD/MPEG Converter, but I found that whatever algorithm it uses to upscale video is pretty weak. The end result is noticably pixelated. This would probably not be the case if the resolution of the AVI is already close to DVD resolution (720x480 NTSC).

I've never used Roxio, so I don't know if it has a DVD authoring bit built into it. If it does, you might want to give that a shot. Create the DVD and save it to your hard drive, then use VLC to convert the VOBs to TS.

Anyway.. that's how I've found the most success with converting AVIs to playable transport streams. Probably not the most elegant of solutions, but it works...

Hope that helps,
TheEndless

MoJo

DV to TS

Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:26 pm

This has probably been answered elsewhere here so sorry in advance but....

I have a myriad of Mini DV tapes (home video stuff) that I would like to copy/convert to my hard drive and then play over my HD1000. Can somebody let me know what the simplest way to do this is? I'm computer/video savy but not familiar with some of the programs mentioned here.

I have Premiere and After effects that I intend to use to edit some of the content. I'm also a PC user if that matters...

Thanks!