Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

awedio
Topic Author

Shares keep "disconnecting" from server ????

Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:05 pm

this is an example of the problem I have:

HD1k (2.0.34) connected to the server (XP Pro) at 8am, everything is fine, I can access mPlay, WeatherSix etc.
I come back to the system at 3pm (the connection btwn the server & Roku is lost). why do I always need to reboot the HD1k?

What am I doing wrong?

fatcat

Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:47 am

I have the same problem, although it's continued since version 1.5 onwards. I have to reboot the HD1000 daily to maintain its connection to my computer (which is always on).

Very odd.

awedio
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:13 am

sorry fatcat, it looks likes we are the only 2 people with this problem!

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:38 am

I've found that if the server ever becomes unavailable, either as a result of a reboot or a network problem, the Roku loses it and won't reconnect unless you either reboot or go into the network shares section and save again.
Are you guys on a wireless connection that might be dropping out at some point during the day? Or do you shut down the server at any point?

Just a thought...
TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

awedio
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:00 am

The Endless,

No wireless connection for me, network is hardwired.
I use a DLink DI624 router, 1 port from the 624 is -> SMC8516 gigabit s/w
the HD1k, server & other pc's on the network are connected to the SMC s/w. The only other connection on the DI624 is a Motorola(Vonage) voip box

SimonO

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:29 am

I've not had problems with lost shares/IP addresses since I switched to a fixed IP on both my units and I switch off my server every night...
Toshiba 36ZP48, Pace Sky+ v1 (120GB), Sonos ZP80, Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3805, Blue Sky SAT 6.5/B&W DM600 S3/ASW675 w/Behringer DSP1124P, Philips Pronto NG RU950/RU951

awedio
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:36 am

SimonO,

maybe I should try that too, can't hurt.
I'll give the HD1k a static ip

jsjames

Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:01 pm

SimonO wrote:
I've not had problems with lost shares/IP addresses since I switched to a fixed IP on both my units and I switch off my server every night...

Same here. I had my shares disconnecting all the time. Went to static IPs and have not had the problem since (knock on wood) :)
Thanks,

Jeff
M1000

awedio
Topic Author

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:29 am

thanks to all that replied
woke up this morning (I left the server on overnight), chk'd my 2 HD1k's (they both have static ip's now), it's all good!!!

ukor

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:27 am

I loose one of my SMB shares about once a week. Rather than reboot, I just go into setup uncheck the share, exit, go back into setup, and recheck the share. I believe that someone posted a command, which they wrapped a script around, to remount all of the SMB shares. I have NFS setup and never have a problem with loosing them. I do not have the roku on a static IP as others have mentioned.

waynedunham

Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:10 am

ukor wrote:
I loose one of my SMB shares about once a week. Rather than reboot, I just go into setup uncheck the share, exit, go back into setup, and recheck the share. I believe that someone posted a command, which they wrapped a script around, to remount all of the SMB shares. I have NFS setup and never have a problem with loosing them. I do not have the roku on a static IP as others have mentioned.

I also don't have a static IP, but the main reason my Roku lose's the shares on one machine is that I don't leave that machine on 24/7, so every time I fire the machine up again I have to get the share back into the Roku.

I've been using the exact method you described (uncheck, exit, re-check) and it's always worked for me.
Wayne Dunham

Interactive

Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:34 pm

I'm been having similar problems. I'm going to try the static IP on the PB. Overall, I experience fairly regular issues like this, however. I constantly have problems with applications (even released versions) like the WeatherSix app. I just tried it a few minutes ago after playing some movie stuff on mPlay. WeatherSix just stopped working?! The "Please Wait" icon pops up for a few seconds and then just goes away. Every time this stuff happens, it seems that a reboot cures the problem, but that's just not acceptable performace. I know I'm running a beta OS so I guess I can't really complain until it's released, but this performace does not provide a sufficient WAF. Maybe the Roku is destined to be a geeks machine, but I was really hoping this thing would be stable enough for everyday use by the family...so far, its not.

awedio
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:18 pm

I think I spoke too soon, I'm still having the "disconnect" problem even after assigning both HD1k's static ip's.
I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions. Maybe the problem is on my network, I don't know.
The wife loves the Roku so far! I'm starting to look like a genius after she took my suggestion & we joined Netflix!
Any thoughts? ideas?