Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Guest1
Topic Author

STATE OF THE HD-1000 - My fellow americans

Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:47 am

I thought that we should recap known exisiting problems with ROKU HD1000 just as a way of having them all in one place as Roku addresses them we can cross items off of the list. Let's limit this to bugs not to a new features wishlist. Also I know some of these have work arounds but they are still bugs that need to be fixed by Roku.

Known bugs
1.) Folder shuffle does not work - when playing a folder if you have the shuffle option enaged it is ignored by the Roku. (Roku has said this will be fixed in the next release).

2.)More than 4 apps cannot be displayed at one time (Roku has said this will be fixed in the next release).

3.)HD Visualations - completely missing

4.)Songs are listed alphabetically within an album not in track order completely destroying the albums contents are created by the artist.

5.)True Shuffle - right now if you shuffle the songs within an album on Monday and then shuffle that same album on Tuesday they will in the same order the shuffle routine is not true random and thusly not a true shuffle.

6.)When in folder view if you exit a folder that begins with the letter "P" you are taken back to the top of the album list. You should be exactly where you left off in the folder list.

7.)Swap file not loaded on boot. It requires you to reactivate the swap file everytime you reboot.

8.)No indication if the swap file is active. (Roku has said this will be fixed in a future release not in the next release)

9.) No ability to jump to a specific letter of the alphabet while browsing. If you are at artist 112 and you want to listen to a song by Prince.... you have a lot of down arrows to press before you can get to prince.

10.) No sleep or power off mode. Right now when you press the power the only thing that happens is that the power indicator light is turned off. The Roku is still on. Off doesn't mean off it means stop the player and turn off the power light. This is a waste of electricity and bad for the environment.

11.) I mentioned this before in another thread. Seems good to mention it again now. The alphabetical sort sorts uppercase before lowercase, so any artists/albums/songs/folders that start with a lowercase letter are automatically sorted at the end of the list. Not a major issue, but still annoying to have to page down to the end of the list to get to an artist that starts with "b". (TheEndless)

12.) The remote - Not to get on Roku but it's the worst remote I have ever used. You should not have to buy a $150.00 remote because the included remote does not work. That is not fair. At a mininum you should either replace the remotes or offer us owners a credit towards a new one.

Did I miss any?
Last edited by Guest1 on Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Guest1
Topic Author

Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:54 am

10.) No sleep or power off mode. Right now when you press the power the only thing that happens is that the power indicator light is turned off. The Roku is still on. Off doesn't mean off it means stop the player and turn off the power light. This is a waste of electricity and bad for the environment.

buzolich

Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:42 pm

That's a good start. I didn't realize how hot the Roku got and how worthless the power off button is until I put it inside a stereo cabinet. That extra heat and wasted electricity is really annoying.

Roku: Sign me up for the next beta testing list. I'm sure if you opened it up, you'd get plenty of free testers from this community.

RokuPatrick

Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Here are some responses to some of the issues raised:

1 and 2 are bugs that will be addressed in the next release (as we've said previously)

4 -- Yes it sorts alphabetically. However, if, as most people in our experience, your song files are named in the style <track number> - <song title>.<filetype>, then it should get it right.

5 -- This is not something that I've seen. I'll investigate it and see if the situation can't be improved.

8 -- This will be addressed.

9 -- You can use zoom in/zoom out for page up and page down.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:33 pm

RokuPatrick wrote:
4 -- Yes it sorts alphabetically. However, if, as most people in our experience, your song files are named in the style <track number> - <song title>.<filetype>, then it should get it right.

I mentioned this before in another thread. Seems good to mention it again now. The alphabetical sort sorts uppercase before lowercase, so any artists/albums/songs/folders that start with a lowercase letter are automatically sorted at the end of the list. Not a major issue, but still annoying to have to page down to the end of the list to get to an artist that starts with "b".

TheEndless

museumsteve

Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:21 pm

I'm sure my swap file loads each time I switch my machine on :?

Guest1
Topic Author

Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:03 am

12.) The remote - Not to get on Roku but it's the worst remote I have ever used. You should not have to buy a $150.00 remote because the included remote does not work. That is not fair.
Last edited by Guest1 on Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guest1
Topic Author

Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:04 am

RokuPatrick wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Here are some responses to some of the issues raised:

1 and 2 are bugs that will be addressed in the next release (as we've said previously)

5 -- This is not something that I've seen. I'll investigate it and see if the situation can't be improved.

8 -- This will be addressed.

9 -- You can use zoom in/zoom out for page up and page down.

RokuPatrick
I agree that if you name your files with track number that makes the problem go away but that is a work around not a solution. I have almost 10,000 mp3 (all legal by the way) I should not have to rename them all to have the HD-1000 work correctly, should I?

Also, even using zoom to page up or down that still only move you 10 or so items at a time. My music is in folder by artists and it is still an incredible pain the butt to move up and down the folders list from Abba to Zhane. The end result is that I rarely listen to anything that is past "M". I bought the HD-1000 to access more of my music, not less. And that is exactly the effect that it has had. I cannot even begin to imagine how ardous a task scolling would be if I weren't using the folders view.

Guest1
Topic Author

Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:40 pm

Mods can we make this post sticky. Hopefully the next software release will address many of these issues.

boba

Native support for mpeg video

Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:12 pm

Is any work being done to add .mpeg playback functionality to the HD?

After having tried (and returned) 6 competitors products I finally picked up the HD. I am absolutely in love with the sound quality of my mp3's!! I feel like I got my stereo back!! The other units made my mp3's sound like my speakers were under water.

However, none of the other (albiet otherwise crappy) players had ANY problem playing the mpeg videos I stored on the server from my camcorder. (FYI: I use ulead videostudio to convert the raw DV-AVI to mpeg2). I can even burn these to DVD and play them on my crappy (read: extremely picky) Toshiba DVD player.

I have tried CinemaSix and it plays the files but, for some reason, stops playback ~30 seconds before the end of the vid. I'll be posting about this issue elsewhere.

I also don't get the .TS player app. What home consumer is going to be able to use this?! This app will do nothing to widen consumer acceptance of this product.

Thanks in advance!

kbra

Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:04 pm

guest1: why dont you create directories like A-G, H-M, M-R, S-Z :idea:

that would cut down on the scrolling.

Kbra

GeneArch

Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:30 pm

Well..

Not much has changed, I'm kind of "ho hum" on the HD1000 these days. I'm hopeful Roku comes through, but if something better comes along at CES, I'll put them on ebay and move along. I'm extremely disappointed in the lack of communications regarding this product. On the other side, I cannot be happier with my M2000 so as a company they are not "all bad".

Guest1
Topic Author

Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:17 am

kbra wrote:
guest1: why dont you create directories like A-G, H-M, M-R, S-Z :idea:

that would cut down on the scrolling.

Kbra

Yeah I tried that.... and I worked OK but I made browsing a little less smooth and I ruined all of the playlists I had already created in winamp. I have tons of playlists (because the HD1000 doesn't currently have genre sorts, etc.) and it wasn't willing to go through and change them all. Good work around but not a solution. This should be and could be easily fixed via software.

All you have to do is put an alphabet listing above the folders display clicking on the letter would jump you to that section of your windows directory.

Guest1
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:35 am

I will leave this thread for someone else to maintain. I have officially given up on this product. I sold it on ebay for 90% of what I paid for it. The lack of an update to fix even the most basic bugs while the continually upgrade their other products is appalling.

Roku says that they still care about the HD1000 community and that they are "working on an update" but actions speak louder than words and they have done nothing.

I see a number of HD1000's on ebay now I guess the populus has come to the same conclusion that I have .....

Goodbye to you all... It has been fun
Good riddance to Roku HD1000
Last edited by Guest1 on Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Allan

Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:32 am

Guest1 (and others who may be planning on selling their HD1Ks)- Keep in mind that an update is expected in December, you could wait and see what v1.6 actually improves upon.

But also keep in mind what RokuAnthony has recently stated;

RokuAnthony wrote:
For the record, I don't consider 9 months a long time. A normal software cycle on a complex product is 12 - 18 months.

We also are working hard and don't appreciate the negative non-factual remarks.

We recommend you select products for what they do today, not what you can imagine they may do in the future.

We have many very happy HD1000 customers. And for those that are not for some reason, we and most of our dealers offer a 30 day money back guarantee.

Anthony

Based on this statement, it would appear that an another update after v1.6 in 1 years time would not be out of the question. Although an update before that time elapsed is certainly possible, such a timeframe would not be out the norm according to Anthony. This is something to consider.

So if you are not completly happy with the HD1K after the v1.6 release, I could then understand why you would want to sell your unit on ebay. Anthony, himself, even recommends that you choose products for what they do today and not what they could do in the future. It would seem this is excellent advice.

Myself, I am going to wait for the upcoming v1.6 upgrade. It has been a long time in the making, but I guess that is the norm for a "software cycle on a complex product ". I am just hoping that a "software cycle" is a considered a significant upgrade and not just a bug fix.