Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

museumsteve
Topic Author

Server for PB, changing from Win Server 2003 to Linux

Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:27 pm

Been having issues with Win Server 2003 and now considering changing it to linux. I have 9 x HDDs in it using raid controllers and mount points which the PB picks up nicely.
If I change to Linux are there any obvious issues I may run into that anyone knows of?

heilpern

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:06 pm

If I change to Linux are there any obvious issues I may run into that anyone knows of?
You mean like more stability less frustration giving you too much time on your hands? ;)

I would suggest using NFS instead of SMB for your connection to a Linux box. I'm sure SMB can work, but NFS seems to be more efficient. I don't have any hard numbers to back this up.

CaminoFrancisco

Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:06 am

heilpern wrote:
You mean like more stability less frustration giving you too much time on your hands? ;)

I would suggest using NFS instead of SMB for your connection to a Linux box. I'm sure SMB can work, but NFS seems to be more efficient. I don't have any hard numbers to back this up.

I have been using SMB (Suse 9.1, SX6000 RAID5) for months on SD content, no problems at all. I can't speak to the efficiency, but SMB is really simple to setup.
Camino
HD1000 Rev "B"

arock

Re: Server for PB, changing from Win Server 2003 to Linux

Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:32 am

museumsteve wrote:

Your raid controllers will need Linux drivers - many do, just make sure.

Also - your current filesystem is probably NTFS. Linux has read-only support for NTFS, but cannot write AFAIK. If you have significant data on the drives already, this may be the biggest hurdle for you. I made a similar switch from Windows 2003 Server to Linux, and I copied data to machines all over my home network so I could reformat the RAID array.

I use NFS for all of my mounts on the PhotoBridge, but the posters here are correct - SMB is pretty easy to set up under Linux, and for most media performs adequately.

museumsteve
Topic Author

Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:24 pm

thanks for the replies chaps :) gives me some things to check out first.