Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

tjdebon

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:00 am

I just want to reiterate --
I was not able to create files with .dot as the leading character in windows. I had to create the leading dot named files on the Roku PB. Once created you can copy and edit the files in windows using textpad etc.

I should mention, you could create the files with Windows on the CF card and then rename them by means of a telnet session to the Roku.

I use Barry Gordon's RokuFH, a graphical interface tor telnet'ing into the PG. That way I don't have to try to remember VI commands or the Linux syntax. http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3092. Occasionally it hangs and fails to copy a file to the edit window but otherwise its easy. You coul copy the code in my post above and paste it right into a file on the CF card using graphical telnet.

dgburns

Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:34 pm

tjdebon wrote:
I just want to reiterate

I was gonna mention that. Forgot though when I replied.
I should mention, you could create the files with Windows on the CF card and then rename them by means of a telnet session to the Roku.

tjdebon wrote:
I use Barry Gordon's RokuFH

Man...dunno how I previously missed this gem...kewl!
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

mebby
Topic Author

Re: How to automatically launch a swapfile on CF card

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:38 pm

tjdebon wrote:
I was not able to create files with .dot as the leading character in windows. I had to create the leading dot named files on the Roku PB.

OK - I've also run into this problem. How do I go about creating the files on the photobridge? If I understand what you're saying, then you can just create a blank file with the appropriate file name on the CF card through the photobridge and then you just edit the files on the computer using Textpad (which I have downloaded). But what I don't know how to do is create a file through the photobridge. Can you please explain?

Thanks again.
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers
M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers
HD1000 wired

tjdebon

Re: How to automatically launch a swapfile on CF card

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:29 am

mebby wrote:
tjdebon wrote:
I was not able to create files with .dot as the leading character in windows. I had to create the leading dot named files on the Roku PB.

OK - I've also run into this problem. How do I go about creating the files on the photobridge? If I understand what you're saying, then you can just create a blank file with the appropriate file name on the CF card through the photobridge and then you just edit the files on the computer using Textpad (which I have downloaded). But what I don't know how to do is create a file through the photobridge. Can you please explain?

Thanks again.

Rather than struggle with VI and Linux syntax late at night, I use Barry Gordon's Graphical Telnet program (it's in 3rd party apps Forum, the link is a few posts down in this thread) to telnet into the Roku and rename a file on my CF card or SMB share, giving it a leading .dot file name. Install RokuFH on your PC per his instructions, then using his program on the PC you connect to the Roku PB, navigate to and then select the file you want to rename, then press the ReName button, ettc. You can then edit the file in Windows on your PC with Crimson Editor, Textpad, etc.

mebby
Topic Author

Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:13 am

Clear enough. Thanks

HD1000 wired

Wulgaru

Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:52 am

The easiest thing is to create the file with your PC, put the correct content in, and save it with whatever name you like on the CF card. Then, put the card in the Roku and use the steps mentioned here to simply rename it. The only thing you can't do for this process with Windows is add a "." to the beginning of the file name. For that, the graphical telnet program works well.

mebby
Topic Author

Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:11 am

Wulgaru wrote:
The easiest thing is to create the file with your PC, put the correct content in, and save it with whatever name you like on the CF card. Then, put the card in the Roku and use the steps mentioned here to simply rename it. The only thing you can't do for this process with Windows is add a "." to the beginning of the file name. For that, the graphical telnet program works well.

Thanks. I think I'm all set. I've done exactly what you've said to do so that I have all three files (swap program to create swap file, and the two files for starting up the swap space immediately) on the CF card and then I'll telnet in and change their names.

All I have to do now is wait on my Photobridge to get here. It's supposed to be here Thursday but I'm in Germany right now so couldn't do anything if it got here any sooner. I plan on spending the weekend playing with it once I get back home. Or at least as much as the wife and the kids will allow - it's tough with a 2 year-old and a 6 month old...

HD1000 wired

swingnstar

Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:34 am

You can actually create file with a leading "." in windows using notepad. This would probably be easiest.

* Open notepad
* Paste in the contents for one of the two files listed above
* Choose File>Save As, choose your destination (the CF Card, if you like) and for the file name put in (including the double quotes)
".autoexec.roku"

The file will be created with a leading .

mebby
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:14 am

swingnstar wrote:
You can actually create file with a leading "." in windows using notepad. This would probably be easiest.

* Open notepad
* Paste in the contents for one of the two files listed above
* Choose File>Save As, choose your destination (the CF Card, if you like) and for the file name put in (including the double quotes)
".autoexec.roku"

The file will be created with a leading .

I guess that would work, but then you'd need to add one more step to your process. You'd have to open up the file you just created with TextPad and then save it in Unix format since Notepad can't do that.

HD1000 wired

tjdebon

Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:38 pm

I use Crimson Editor freeware. It lets me save file names with aleading "." with no special effort, and it is Unix friendly.