Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mebby
Topic Author

NAS Options

Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:33 am

I know that many users on this forum seem to have HUGE amounts of NAS for storing tons of DVDs but if I only want to store about 100 DVDs at most what is the most viable solution?

I'm guessing that I would need somewhere in the neighborhood of 500gb of storage correct?

Thanks
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers
M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers
HD1000 wired

jcrb

Re: NAS Options

Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:51 am

mebby wrote:
I know that many users on this forum seem to have HUGE amounts of NAS for storing tons of DVDs but if I only want to store about 100 DVDs at most what is the most viable solution?

I'm guessing that I would need somewhere in the neighborhood of 500gb of storage correct?

Thanks

Your easiest and probably cheapest solution is going to be
1 linksys NLU2 Network Storage Link (~$80)
http://www1.linksys.com/products/produc ... 40&scid=43
2 external drive cases (~$25)
http://www.topmicrousa.com/pm-525u2-mcs.html
2 250GB drives (~$100)
http://www.buy.com/prod/Hitachi_250GB_I ... 65537.html

this will give you 500GB for $330 or $.66/GB

I have a setup similar to the above (x2) with one NSLU2 having 2x250GB and the other 2x300GB, at some point when I need more I will see about building myself a RAID server, but that will have to wait till I have time to build one myself since the last time I looked the price of all the turnkey RAID setups that were out there cost so much that it was cheaper to buy NSLU2 with 2 disks and just have the NSLU2 back up one disk to the other (i.e. a cheap pseudo-RAID-1). The advantage of getting desktop drives and putting them in cases rather than getting ready made USB drives is you can migrate the disks to a diferent system, or if a drive dies you get to keep the case and just buy a new drive (and you can take the drive out of the USB case and mount it in a desk top machine if you need to run serious diags or disk recovery on it at some point)

If you spend some time hunting you can luck in to good sales on hard drives from time to time, or you can just buy whatever fits your budget now and know that in 6 months you will be able to add more when you need it for less.

p.s. setting a small desk top fan to blow over the hard drive cases and the HD1000 is probably a good idea as they all get too hot if there is no airflow

mebby
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:35 am

Thanks for the advice. That's a much cheaper solution that I had planned on.

On the heat issue - I have a home run structured wiring set-up so I was planning on puttin the NAS in my wiring closet attached to my router. There's enough airflow in there so no issue. However, I was planning on putting my HD1000 between my Receiver and my Tivo in my stereo rack. It sounds like this may be a problem. Will I need a fan in order to keep it from overheating or overheating my other components?

HD1000 wired

gordo

Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:39 pm

NSLU2 solution is fine for DVDs but the samba throughput isn't quite fast enough for flawless HDTV streams

jcrb

Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:55 am

gordo wrote:
NSLU2 solution is fine for DVDs but the samba throughput isn't quite fast enough for flawless HDTV streams

Since he said he just wanted it for DVDs I didn't see that as being an issue.

jcrb

Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:58 am

mebby wrote:
Thanks for the advice. That's a much cheaper solution that I had planned on.

Out of curiousity what were you planning on?

mebby wrote:
On the heat issue - I have a home run structured wiring set-up so I was planning on puttin the NAS in my wiring closet attached to my router. There's enough airflow in there so no issue.

You mean an actual fan blowing air? The only downside of the NSLU2 is it does not spin down the disks so you want to be sure you have actual air flow (or drive cases with built in fans)

mebby wrote:
However, I was planning on putting my HD1000 between my Receiver and my Tivo in my stereo rack. It sounds like this may be a problem. Will I need a fan in order to keep it from overheating or overheating my other components?

I would, certainly the HD1k gets warmer than I would like with out one, but just a little air flow over that big metal case and it stays nice and cool.

mebby
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:59 am

Correct - for now I don't care about streaming HDTV. I just want to create a DVD jukebox type application.

Should I look into mounting a fan in my AV rack if the airflow is bad? Currently none of my components (Yamaha Receiver, , Yamaha DVD, DirecTivo in that order from bottom to top) get too hot b/c I use the Harmony 880 remote and only the devices in use are turned on. I plan on placing the PB between the DVD player and the DirecTivo.

Are there any good silent fans out there?

HD1000 wired

jcrb

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:18 am

mebby wrote:
Should I look into mounting a fan in my AV rack if the airflow is bad?

Lower temps are always good for the life expctancy of an electronic device.

mebby wrote:
Currently none of my components get too hot b/c I use the Harmony 880 remote and only the devices in use are turned on. I plan on placing the PB between the DVD player and the DirecTivo.

The thing with the roku is that even when its off its on.

mebby wrote:
Are there any good silent fans out there?

Don't know, thats why my HD lives in the machine room in my basement (along with all my video equipment) and I use a coax rebroadcast system to let me watch it (and the CATV/DVD/etc) anywhere in the house. So I have a nice big noisy (house) fan keeping all my equipment nice and cool and I don't have to worry about noise
:D

mebby
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:27 am

Interesting. I'm really curious about your setup b/c I have structured wiring in my house where all phone, cable, and Cat5 connections come together in a utility closet. Currently I have a router (wired/wireless), network printer, and I'm about to have my NAS in there as well.

From what you're telling me I should be able to put ALL my components in there and distribute the signals from each one to anywhere in the house that has a Coax connection right?

The only thing left to solve would be how to control the units but I think I know the answer to that so I'm not really concerned about it...

I'd really appreciate any pointers on replicating what you've done! I've thought about it before but was never able to figure out how to get it done.

HD1000 wired

jcrb

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:49 am

mebby wrote:
From what you're telling me I should be able to put ALL my components in there and distribute the signals from each one to anywhere in the house that has a Coax connection right?

Yes, as long as you want DVD/TV distribution and not HDTV you can stuff everything in the closet out of sight (and you can watch progams off your Tivo from any room)

mebby wrote:
The only thing left to solve would be how to control the units but I think I know the answer to that so I'm not really concerned about it...

What where you thinking? and RF remote with and IR blaster?

mebby wrote:
I'd really appreciate any pointers on replicating what you've done! I've thought about it before but was never able to figure out how to get it done.

Really simple I use the Avcast system from Crossbar Media
http://www.crossbarmedia.com/html/media_kit.html
not only does it handle the rebroadcast of the video over the coax but it also does rebroadcast of IR from little IR recievers that you put next to your TVs to the boxes which do the video rebroadcast which have wired IR blasters which lets you control your components from anywhere in the house, using any remote.
http://www.crossbarmedia.com/html/uber_network_1.html

its a great system, I am using it right now to watch an episode of Battlestar Galactica, stored on my NSLU2, streamed over my ethernet to the HD1K rebroadcast over the Avcast to the CATV-to-USB box in my office so I can watch on my laptop, using my Sony AV3100 to run the HD1K through the tiny Avcast IR repeater on my desk.
:D

mebby
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:01 am

oh man!!! Now I'm not going to get ANY work done today!! :D

As Will Smith said in Independence Day "I got to GET me one of these!!!"

Thanks man - I really appreciate it. The IR solution you gave is even better than what I was thinking about!

The only wrinkle for me to solve now is how/where to put my SoundBridge so I can see the display but have the optical cable running to my Yamaha receiver...

HD1000 wired

jcrb

Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:13 am

I should probably add that the Avcast system is not nearly as 'sexy' as some of the other video/IR distribution systems, but its very simple, it works and its cheap (its just an RF/analog system which is why it will repeat any remote, as it doesn't actually know what it is repeating). Just make sure to pay attention to the instructions about not applying power to the IR repeaters unless they are pluged into the coax first and make sure to get enough DC blocks for all the repeaters, the system was designed so that the main hub could be placed in an unpowered outside demarc and so it is powered *over the coax* from *ONE* IR repeater, but you can't have more than one trying to supply power at a time, and if you have power where the hub is there is no point in letting any of the IR repeaters put juice into the coax (Crossbar sells them for $0.95, a good deal)

mebby
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:20 am

I guess my main concern at this point is how I will get digital audio from my devices for surround sound.

I need to get digital audio to my receiver from my DVD player, SB, PB, and Tivo and then I need my receiver to link to my speakers.

If the system want pass digital audio then I guess I could still use it but just have all my devices in my theather room which is the only place I care about digital audio but then use the repeater system to pass signal out to all my other locations...

HD1000 wired

jcrb

Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:35 am

mebby wrote:
I guess my main concern at this point is how I will get digital audio from my devices for surround sound.

I need to get digital audio to my receiver from my DVD player, SB, PB, and Tivo and then I need my receiver to link to my speakers.

If you can run a fiber from your closet there are optical amps which should give you the distance you need so only your receiver would need to be left out where the speakers are

mebby wrote:
If the system want pass digital audio then I guess I could still use it but just have all my devices in my theather room which is the only place I care about digital audio but then use the repeater system to pass signal out to all my other locations...

You can do that to, you can also hide everything in a closed cabinet in the room/nearby since you will not need to be able to see them to control them.

xwing

Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:27 pm

Going back to gordo's point from Sep. 27, what would be a good solution for HDTV streams? Has anyone been able to accomplish this?