Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Chewy
Topic Author

FLAC Tags in Sonata

Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:05 am

I have downloaded the Codec and been able to play Flac music. Is it the intention for the Sonata application to be able to read FLAC tags and display song information? If so is this a future goal or is there a recommended music converter (I have been testing DBPowerAmp).

TIA
--Chewy

soiaf

Re: FLAC Tags in Sonata

Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:33 pm

Chewy wrote:
I have downloaded the Codec and been able to play Flac music. Is it the intention for the Sonata application to be able to read FLAC tags and display song information? If so is this a future goal or is there a recommended music converter (I have been testing DBPowerAmp).

In terms of tags, the recommended format for FLAC files is 'Vorbis Comments' - while the only type of tagging currently supported by Sonata is ID3.
It is possible to add ID3 tags to FLAC files, its just not recommended
http://flac.sourceforge.net/faq.html#general__tagging

If you don't want to modify the tags etc. then I'd suggest having a look at Sonica. Sonica does support 'Vorbis Comments' and so would correctly handle your FLAC files.

RokuDon also mentioned the idea of having a tag plugin model (in the same way that there is a codec plugin model), this would allow the system (e.g. Sonata) to properly handle the tags from multiple file types.
However this idea was only mentioned as a possibility, not a definite proposal by any means.
Though I do have the source code ready if it ever does become a reality :wink:

Chewy
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:43 pm

Thanks for the clarification on what to expect for Sonata. I have been testing Sonica as well and have found that when I try to play FLAC music that it kicks me out. I'm sure that there is an explaination for this, but I have not been able to spot anything obvious in the debug.txt file when I run Sonica in the debug mode. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks again!

soiaf

Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:10 am

Chewy wrote:
I have been testing Sonica as well and have found that when I try to play FLAC music that it kicks me out. I'm sure that there is an explaination for this, but I have not been able to spot anything obvious in the debug.txt file when I run Sonica in the debug mode.

So you can play your FLAC files fine using Sonata/Listen, but when you try playing them with Sonica it fails?
Thats very strange.
A few questions
- What version of firmware are you on
- Are you using the latest version of Sonica
- Latest version of FLAC codec (or at least 0.7)
- Do you have a mixture of songs i.e. MP3 and FLAC
- How many songs did Sonica find
- Do you have a Rev A or Rev B
- Are you using a swap file
- Could you paste the last few lines of the debug messages you are getting.

I must admit that at the moment nothing comes to mind to explain the type of problem you're seeing. Anyway, hopefully we'll get it sorted out.

Chewy
Topic Author

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:09 am

Soiaf, I am jumping over to the Third-Party Applications Forum to reply.

--Chewy