Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

highlander
Topic Author

PLAYING A FULL DVD WITH DOLBY DIGITAL SOUND ON THIS MACHINE

Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:41 am

Hi I currently have my whole dvd collection on a 2 TB hard drive. What I would like is a device that will enable me to play a whole film on a compact flash card with full dolby digital surround sound etc, just like watching it on my dvd player. The procedure will be to copy a film from my hard drive onto a 5gb compact flash card (this part I can do) then to take the card with the film on and play it on a machine in my lounge. After watching the film I can then delete the film download another and repeat the process. Will this Roku device preform this task? or does anybody know another make or model that could do this? thanks

mebby

Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:42 am

I think this is possible as long as you can get the file on the CF card. But why do that when you can just stream if from your hard drive directly?

Mplay is the best application for doing this. You'll basically get everything (including Dolby Digital) that you would from watching it direct from the DVD itselft except for menu navigation but hopefully this will be resolved soon. It requires some action on Roku's side though so the Mplay developers are waiting on them for this.
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers
M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers
HD1000 wired

Wulgaru

Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:12 am

I've watched HD stuff off of a 1GB Ultra 2 compact flash with no issues. As long as the movie will fit in 5GB, you should be fine. I would still use MPlay to watch it.