Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

heilpern
Topic Author

Maxtor Network Storage

Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:02 pm

I bought a Maxtor Network Storage device this weekend; a 10/100bT interface, 300MB, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache. I'm able to play MP3's without any noticed problem so far, but video is a different thing. When I try to play an mpg, I have a prolonged "Please Wait" in the center of my screen, and then a broken image icon replaces it and the lower left of my screen says "Unable to play filename.mpg". The same video files, when located on a PC's mounted drive, play fine.

Anyone have experience with this NAS? Should I try networking it directly to the Roku with a crossover cable?

heilpern
Topic Author

Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:36 pm

Today I was able to get the Maxtor NAS to work briefly (I didn't change anything, just noticed it working as I did a final test before packing it up to return it).... it played about 10 minutes of video then stopped.

I exchanged it for a Ximeta NetDisk, and first impressions are pretty good. We'll see how I like it after a week or so. I've read old messages on the forums about problems people have had with Ximeta's... not sure if it's an issue for anyone still or not. I'm working on a rc script to set up my mounts as I prefer; happy to share it if there's interest, once I have it complete.

drqili

direct access to netdisk on soundbridge without PC on?

Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:23 pm

i have a netdisk for quite some time which has been running smoothly on the wireless network. i am thinking about getting a soundbridge to wirelessly access the music on the netdisk without having to turn on the PC. it looks like photobridge has a recent update which has the driver to access netdisk. does anyone know if there is a such update on soundbridge? how do you access the netdisk from your soundbridge? many thanks.