Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

timh
Topic Author

Progressive Scan JPEGs

Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:36 am

Does Roku plan to add support for progressive scan jpegs in a future PB release?
Roku HD-1000 v2.0.36 (1080i),
Mitsu 65" HDTV (LCD RP),
S-A 8300HD STB/PVR,
XBOX,
Sony RDR-VX500 DVDR/VCR,
Onkyo TX-SR600 w/Polk Audio (5.1)
Logitech Harmony 676 Remote

timh
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:06 am

No response. What methods can be used to process MP3 ID tags to replace a progressive scan jpeg image with a non-progressive version of the same image? I've done it by manual edit with Adobe Photoshop CS2. Are there any tools/techniques to automate it? Thanks...
Roku HD-1000 v2.0.36 (1080i),

Mitsu 65" HDTV (LCD RP),

S-A 8300HD STB/PVR,

XBOX,

Sony RDR-VX500 DVDR/VCR,

Onkyo TX-SR600 w/Polk Audio (5.1)

Logitech Harmony 676 Remote

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:46 am

timh wrote:
No response.

They mentioned at some point in the past that they actually disabled progressive jpegs due to the memory requirements. I'm guessing that was for Rev A compatability, so I doubt they'll add it back as it would cause all kinds of confusion for Rev A users (not that it doesn't already).

As for updating embedded images, I don't know of any software that would do it all in one step, as it's a pretty specific issue.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

swingnstar

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:11 pm

Macromedia fireworks has a batch mode that will transform all files or folders you select in whatever ways you specify. You can tell it to transform all the jpg's in a folder to non-progressive jpg's.

But Fireworks is a very expensive program. I would check whether you photoshop program has some sort of automation or batch mode.

You don't want to use an inexpensive shareware app for this IMHO, because the (lossy) jpg file needs to get re-created and a program that is not very good will cause consideable quality loss.

dgburns

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:26 pm

Use the search tool. I recall someone asking the same thing a while ago, and another person made a suggestion for a utility that the originator reported worked great.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:29 pm

swingnstar wrote:
Macromedia fireworks has a batch mode that will transform all files or folders you select in whatever ways you specify. You can tell it to transform all the jpg's in a folder to non-progressive jpg's.

But Fireworks is a very expensive program. I would check whether you photoshop program has some sort of automation or batch mode.

You don't want to use an inexpensive shareware app for this IMHO, because the (lossy) jpg file needs to get re-created and a program that is not very good will cause consideable quality loss.

InfranView does decent quality batch conversion of jpgs. The tricky part is extracting the images from the ID3 tags, then re-embedding them. I seem to remember reading about some software that would extract them in batches, but I don't know if it will re-embed them.

TheEndless

[edit]It was mentioned it this post by chackett: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=28544#28544. Unfortunately it looks like it's an AppleScript... Not much use if you have a PC.[/edit]
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)