Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DaveK0974
Topic Author

Possible buyer, not sure if its the right box !

Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:05 am

Hi all,
I'm a relative newbie to the forum and have just bought a new super-power G5 mac tower with a s@*t load of ram etc in it and so-on. I have a wish to minimalize my entertainment room clutter (audio units dvd racks etc) and have just got an M1000 which i am most pleased with, i now have over 5000 tracks on tap without getting out of my chair :-)

The next thing i want is to get rid of my dvd player etc. Is the photobridge the correct unit to stream ripped dvd's from my mac to my projector/tv setup?

It would need to support all dvd formats, thx/dts and pro-logic sound, have optical/co-ax/discrete 5.1 channel sound o/p and s-vhs or rgb video o/p.

I have been reading various threads and some seem most discouraging, am i looking in the right area or does this type of equipment not exist yet?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

pg_rider

Re: Possible buyer, not sure if its the right box !

Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:42 am

DaveK0974 wrote:
Hi all,
The next thing i want is to get rid of my dvd player etc. Is the photobridge the correct unit to stream ripped dvd's from my mac to my projector/tv setup?

It would be if you didn't need DTS as you mentioned. The PB won't support it, so you need to rip your DVDs with DD 5.1 only. Kinda sucks, but what can you do....

mebby

Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:45 am

It also doesn't yet support full DVD menus. You can use Mplay (third party app) to stream the DVD but you won't have menu support.

Having said that - I use it for streaming my DVD collection and absolutely love it. I don't really care about the menus. Not have support for DTS kinda sucks, but other than that I think it's one of the best solutions out there for automating your DVD library.
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers
M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers
HD1000 wired

DaveK0974
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:32 pm

Thanks all,

I suppose i could live with 5.1 for now, what files does it play? Full size TS type or compressed mpeg? Obviously i would need a massive array of disks if it only takes full size files. I have some 150-200 films in my collection.

I could easily live without menus and only need the main soundtrack.

I'm quite new to ripping video, but my son does it all the time for his iPod video and seems quite upto speed on the subject but only at low resolutions (bloomin kids!)

Thanks in advance

Dave

mebby

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:17 pm

I basically use DVD Decrypter to rip my DVDs into mulitple VOBs. Mplay then streams them in sequence...

Each DVD takes up approximately 5Gbs of space if you rip the main movie and soundtrack.

It works out really well.
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers

M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers

HD1000 wired

Wulgaru

Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:13 am

For DVD playback, the PB only reads uncompressed mpeg2 files. It doesn't do MPEG4 with DivX or Xvid natively. The storage space adds up pretty quickly. I have roughly 350 movies stored on 3.2 terabytes of RAID 5 NAS. All this just to avoid getting up and putting the DVD in the player! :)

dgburns

Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:32 am

DaveK0974 wrote:
I suppose i could live with 5.1 for now, what files does it play? Full size TS type or compressed mpeg?

All mpeg data is compressed.

You can rip the "main movie" .vob's from the DVD and store on a NAS, play back with Mplay would be my recommendation and you'll probably want a front end like viper (both in 3rd part forum).

Up to you (based on .vob storage space available) if you wanted to further reduce the ripped .vob sizes with something like DVDShrink. These sorts of products essentially reduce the mpeg bit rate (data is discarded) thus giving a fair representation of the source DVD but taking less space. Me personally, if you've got a large widescreen TV, I wouldn't do any "shrinking". DVD mpeg data is already only 1/4 or less the spatial resolution of HDTV's, and most are way below the max DVD bit rate of 9.6Mbps. If you go this route, you could probably for planning purposes estimate ~ 6GB per DVD movie you want to store on NAS/etc.

And of course you'll lose the extras, menu's, DTS and PCM audio (that's correct, the Roku can do neither, so if you're a concert DVD fan not good news), as already mentioned.

Hope this helps.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

chackett

Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:14 am

If you're going to be ripping DVDs on your Mac, I'd highly recommend Mac the Ripper to do the job.
Roku HD1000 Rev B
Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma
Artison Portrait LCR
Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR
Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V2500
Motorola DCT-6412
Home Theater Master MX-3000

timh

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:07 pm

mebby wrote:
I basically use DVD Decrypter to rip my DVDs...

I found this at afterdawn.com;

This software is no longer available, this page is stored for archival puposes only.

On 24th of November, 2005, Macrovision Europe contacted AfterDawn.com, notifying us that they have acquired full rights to the DVD Decrypter software and have changed its licensing terms. Effective immediately, they have decided to withdraw all distribution rights from all third party companies, including AfterDawn.com...

Luckily, there are several alternatives available to DVD Decrypter. Here are the most popular ones:

DVDFab Decrypter (free DVD ripper)
AnyDVD (excellent DVD ripper that handles virtually all modern copy protections)
ImgBurn (DVD image burning software from the original author of DVD Decrypter, free)

Q: Is anyone using and successful with an alternative to DVD Decrypter (e.g. DVDFab Decrypter)?
Roku HD-1000 v2.0.36 (1080i),
Mitsu 65" HDTV (LCD RP),
S-A 8300HD STB/PVR,
XBOX,
Sony RDR-VX500 DVDR/VCR,
Onkyo TX-SR600 w/Polk Audio (5.1)
Logitech Harmony 676 Remote

Wulgaru

Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:38 pm

I use AnyDVD (www.slysoft.com) in conjunction with DVDShrink to rip basically everything. On very rare occasions, I use VOB Blanker instead of DVDShrink. AnyDVD is the best. It's not actually ripping software. It just interprets data from your DVD Drive and presents it to the PC with all copy protection removed. Then, you can pretty much use any program to do the ripping.

Thanks for correcting my reference to MPEG2 as "uncompressed". I guess I wasn't being literal, just refering to the large size when compared to MPEG4.

dgburns

Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:56 pm

Wulgaru wrote:
Thanks for correcting my reference to MPEG2 as "uncompressed". I guess I wasn't being literal, just refering to the large size when compared to MPEG4.

Wasn't meaning to zing ya or anything dude....

Sure would be nice if there was a disc format that supported MPEG4. But it appears both warring camps for next-gen DVD the data will still be MPEG2 (like DVD and ATSC HDTV today). Sad, isn't it?

I heard one of the satellite systems in Europe was going to start trials of compressing with MPEG4 instead of MPEG2. Just think, they could probably get 2-3 times more channels of content into the same bandwidth.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:52 am

dgburns wrote:
I heard one of the satellite systems in Europe was going to start trials of compressing with MPEG4 instead of MPEG2. Just think, they could probably get 2-3 times more channels of content into the same bandwidth.

DirecTV has already started doing this with it's HD channels in select markets, to be expanded to all markets later this year.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Wulgaru

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:38 am

dgburns wrote:
Wasn't meaning to zing ya or anything dude....

No problem.