Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

SteveM
Topic Author

Is the Photobridge discontinued.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:51 am

My HD1000 died. It's Likely the PS, as it always ran hot. I was going to replace it, and ordered one through Dell. They tell me the product is discontinued. I see here they are backordered until Feb. Any truth to the information from Dell?

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Is the Photobridge discontinued.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:32 am

SteveM wrote:
My HD1000 died. It's Likely the PS, as it always ran hot. I was going to replace it, and ordered one through Dell. They tell me the product is discontinued. I see here they are backordered until Feb. Any truth to the information from Dell?

I beleive the HD1000 by itself is no longer available except directly through Roku. Most retail outlets carry the HD1500, which is just the HD1000 with the artpacks for $100 more. I know Tweeter has been known to erroneously state the HD1000 has been discontinued just because they only carry the HD1500 package. That may be what Dell was suggesting.

As I understand it, Roku has recently switched manufacturing plants, and that's the reason for the backorder. Probably best for someone from Roku to speak for that, though.

As for your power supply issue, Roku is fixing out of warranty units for $75, or you could do it yourself: http://frequal.com:8080/roku/PowerSuppl ... Guide.html

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

lronick

Dell Says HD1500 Discontinued

Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:42 am

I ordered an HD1500 from Dell back in December and got a phone call from them last week that the unit has been discontinued and they cancelled my order. This was a 1500, not a 1000.

Too bad, I got a great deal. They had a $50 off sale, plus I had a $35 coupon.

dgburns

Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:20 pm

brandnamez.com claims to have HD1500 in stock for $371.
I bought mine from newegg.com, but they don't appear to have any more.
You might check ebay.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

andy

Roku Store now says April 2006 for PB purchase

Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:46 pm

The Roku Store now says that PhotoBridge units won't be available until April 2006! :-(

I tried calling the listed number yesterday during business hours but got the standard message, "We're on the other line...".

I would really prefer to buy an HD1000 direct from Roku since I don't need the full Gallery Collection edition (HD1500 -- the only one available from resellers).

Could someone from Roku give us a little more information on what is happening? We have heard indirect accounts of a manufacturing switchover (this from a European distributor, if I recall correctly) but it would be great to hear the full story directly from Roku.
Andy Oliver
LiveSpy: Watch Live Webcams:http://frequal.com/LiveSpy/roku/index.html
VncSix: Web Surfing+:http://frequal.com/roku/VncSix/index.html
SongInfo:http://frequal.com/roku/SongInfo/index.html

dgburns

Re: Roku Store now says April 2006 for PB purchase

Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:58 pm

andy wrote:
but it would be great to hear the full story directly from Roku.

I think the whole forum community would sit back in total shock if we heard ANYTHING "directly from Roku"! :o
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:09 pm

andy wrote:
We have heard indirect accounts of a manufacturing switchover (this from a European distributor, if I recall correctly) but it would be great to hear the full story directly from Roku.

Actually, according to this thread (http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5944), someone directly from Roku confirmed this at CES. In that same thread, allyn says he spoke directly with RokuDave who claimed the PhotoBridge was definitely not dead. Once the SoundBridge Radio finally gets released, perhaps we'll get a bit more love over here...

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Toots Mutant

Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:40 pm

So, next you're going to tell us that the HD-1000 isn't really dead, but that it's pretending to be for tax purposes?

The question I have is: If it really were dead, how would we be able to tell the difference between that and what we have now?

swingnstar

Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:09 pm

The only difference is hope. ;)

SteveM
Topic Author

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:27 pm

Actually, according to this thread (http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5944), someone directly from Roku confirmed this at CES. In that same thread, allyn says he spoke directly with RokuDave who claimed the PhotoBridge was definitely not dead. Once the SoundBridge Radio finally gets released, perhaps we'll get a bit more love over here...

TheEndless

I posted this on the forum that they host so that they would have the opportunity to respond directly. I don't understand, either they have killed it or it not. I will buy one if they plan to sell them, if not I'll have to find another solution.

Steve Criz

Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:49 pm

SteveM wrote:
I posted this on the forum that they host so that they would have the opportunity to respond directly. I don't understand, either they have killed it or it not. I will buy one if they plan to sell them, if not I'll have to find another solution.

Many Photobridge owners have tried that ploy over the past two years - posting conjectures/scenarios/whatevers that might subtly goad Roku into a response that is - and most will have either found more worthy solutions, or come crawling back with their tails between their legs...

The truth is: if you want an easy to setup and install Network Media Player that works flawlessly with whatever media you throw at it... There ain't one!! All the other possible alternatives have some failing or drawback or annoyance that makes them as much of a pain in the derriere as the Roku.

If you are going to look at alternatives to the Roku, you'd better understand what you may be forced to deal with from the competition... which means many hours of forum trawling, learning the facts and implications of things like HDMI, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD etc, etc... as they all will play a part in how well the alternatives end up working.

The main reason that I'm about to give up on the Roku (will get a XBox360 when they're on sale in Australia) is the "one step forward - two steps back" capabilities that each OS revision has provided. I understand that this isn't necessarily Roku's fault; however, I can't be expected to wait for over 2 years to have functionality that is clearly advertised as available with the PB1000/1500.

The biggest favour you can do to yourself, your hip-pocket, your sanity and your viewing/listening pleasure... is determine very, very, very carefully exactly what it is you expect the Network Media Player you purchase to be capable of without fail. If you expect High Definition video playback of PAL, then the Roku won't end up making you happy.

What is becoming evident, is the change in mood of early adoptors of HD media devices, from the bouyant enthusiasm and belief that the manufacturers were bound up in the same philosophy that we were, of giving to the masses HD that is truly easy to setup and use as well as ubiquitous. You may notice that the mood is now markedly different for those early HD adoptors, because the manufacturers true colours are now becoming very plain to see.

SteveM
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:00 am

Steve Criz wrote:
SteveM wrote:

Many Photobridge owners have tried that ploy over the past two years - posting conjectures/scenarios/whatevers that might subtly goad Roku into a response that is - and most will have either found more worthy solutions, or come crawling back with their tails between their legs...

. . .

If you are going to look at alternatives to the Roku, you'd better understand what you may be forced to deal with from the competition... which means many hours of forum trawling, learning the facts and implications of things like HDMI, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD etc, etc... as they all will play a part in how well the alternatives end up working.

The main reason that I'm about to give up on the Roku (will get a XBox360 when they're on sale in Australia) is the "one step forward - two steps back" capabilities that each OS revision has provided. I understand that this isn't necessarily Roku's fault; however, I can't be expected to wait for over 2 years to have functionality that is clearly advertised as available with the PB1000/1500.

The biggest favour you can do to yourself, your hip-pocket, your sanity and your viewing/listening pleasure... is determine very, very, very carefully exactly what it is you expect the Network Media Player you purchase to be capable of without fail. If you expect High Definition video playback of PAL, then the Roku won't end up making you happy.

This isn't a ploy. Someone from Roku could easily respond to confirm or deny the info that their retailer (Dell) has told me. It's actually standard business practice to let your customers know about product availabilty, or if a product has been discontinued. The fact that they don't speaks volumes.

On your other point. I own a Photobridge. I know what it is. My other solutions include repairing the unit I have, but I am not generally inclined to maintain obsolete computers. Trust me, a photo/music appliance is far from an emotional, or even important decision in my life.

davidd

Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:47 pm

It is a PITA but it plays pal perfect if you set the video mode before playing it
Roku HD1500 rev b
Sony Bravia LCD
Pioneer DVD
Yamaha AV gear
Sky +
Sky HD........January !! if they release it as promised! - they didnt, now they want £300 !!!
Roku, maybe its time for the mini mac core duo ???

RokuPatrick

Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:05 pm

It is not discontinued. It is out of stock while we switch manufacturers. We remain commited to the PhotoBridge product line

stang2112

Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:48 pm

Thanks for the info, that is very encouraging to hear it from "Roku"!!!
Roku HD1000 Rev. B (2.0.36)
Bose "Lifestyle 35"
Mitsubishi "Medallion" WS65311 HD Projection
Philips DVD DVP642/37
Windows Vista Home Premium - Wired Network