Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

soiaf
Topic Author

Unoffical FAQ

Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:17 pm

Heres my first attempt at an unoffical FAQ for the PhotoBridge. Please feel free to make suggestions for other questions (or even suggest enhancements/add-ons to questions already here).

==
Whats the difference between a HD1000 and a HD1500?

They are the same physical devices, the HD1500 includes gallery art packs.

Whats the difference between a Rev A. PhotoBridge and a Rev. B PhotoBridge?

A revision B. PhotoBridge has the following differences to a revision A PhotoBridge

* Has more memory (128 MB instead of 64 MB)
* Has a modified ROM to support the extra memory
* Has a slightly modified remote (or is more sensitive to the remote control)

How can I tell if I have a revision A or revision B?

On the sticker on the back of the PhotoBridge which has the serial number, it will say "HW Rev B" if it is a revision B PhotoBridge. Otherwise it is probably a revision A PhotoBridge.

What is the advantage of a revision B PhotoBridge?

It has more memory. Some applications (especially some 3rd party applications) can require a lot of memory to properly run. A revision A PhotoBridge may have problems trying to run these applications. Also a rev. A PhotoBridge may have problems playing music and looking at pictures at the same time.

I have a rev. A PhotoBridge. Is there anything I can do to increase performance

Yes. You can make use of whats known as a 'swap file'. In the simplest form this allows you to use a compact flash card as if it was extra memory.
Instructions on creating a swap file are here

http://www.rokulabs.com/support_pb_ts_technote.php

Is there anyway to start up a 'swap file' automatically?

Yes, this can be done by use of a .flashrc.local and a .autoexec.roku file.
See here for more details

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?p=27130#27130

What firmware version do you recommend?

In most cases it is recommended to upgrade from the version of the firmware that comes on the PhotoBridge ( 1.5.18 ) to the beta 2 firmware.
Some people have experienced problems with 2.0.36 (though this version can support faster access speeds to the network), other people have experienced no problems with 2.0.36
2.0.34 would be recommended in this case.

How do I upgrade my firmware from 1.5.18 to 2.0.34

You will need a compact flash card.
Download the following file
http://www.rokulabs.com/developers/2.0.34/formatup.rok
and place it on your compact flash card.
Put the compact flash card in your PhotoBridge and hold the power button on the front of the PhotoBridge till the light goes off (takes about 6 seconds).
Wait 10 minutes or so.
If you are not seeing any picture, but the front light on the PhotoBridge is flashing this means that you are in video setup mode. See the manual for details on selecting the correct video mode.
Make sure to delete the formatup.rok file from the compact flash card or you will do an upgrade each time you restart your machine

Is it recommended to use DHCP with the PhotoBridge?

Many people have encountered problems (losing shares, broken icons, applications that won't start) when they use DHCP. For general stability purposes use of a static IP address is recommended.

How can I give my PhotoBridge a static IP address?

The following is a simpler method

http://members.upc.ie/p.mc.quillan/addstatic.zip

1) Download the above file

2) Unzip the file and put the contents on a compact flash card.

3) Telnet into the roku as root.

4) Execute the script, done as follows

/mnt/flash1/addstatic.sh

It will ask you for your preferred static IP address, your network mask and your gateway address and will modify the necessary file for you (no vi required).

What is SMB? I keep seeing it mentioned

SMB is "Server Message Block" - its a protocol that allows sharing of files (among other things).
Its basically "Windows Networking", so when you allow a folder to be shared on your PC, you're allowing it to be accessed via SMB.

As theres so many PCs around running Windows its become very much a standard, not just tied to Windows, so Macs have an implementation and so does unix/linux.

I'm seeing broken icons and applications don't start?

Are you running the beta 2 firmware? All the applications in the "third party applications" forum require firmware 2 (and many require that you are running 2.0.34 or later).

If you are running the correct firmware and you are seeing broken icons then this indicates that an application has crashed, and it has broken access to the network share.
A reboot is required at this stage.
Many people have reported that they have greater overall stability using a static IP address rather than a dynamic IP address (DHCP).

What video formats does the PhotoBridge support

The PhotoBridge natively can play back MPEG2 files. This includes high definition MPEG2 files.

It does not natively play back WMV. Xvid or Divx. However it is possible to play back these formats using server-side software such as Nero MediaHome or VLC.

For playing back MPEG2 files such as ripped DVDs etc. the third party software MPlay is recommended.

http://www.permanence.com/MPlay/index.html

Can I play my ripped DVDs on the PhotoBridge

Yes. However note that currently features like subtitles are not supported. Also DTS (and PCM) sound in DVDs is not supported.

What audio formats does the PhotoBridge support

It natively supports WAV, AIFF and MP3.
Firmware 2 added support for AAC files.

The following 3rd party codecs are available:

WavPack
FLAC
Apple Lossless
WMA
TTA
MPC (Musepack)
Mod/Tracker
Shorten
Ogg Vorbis

I've tried to play a AAC file and nothing happened?

If you are trying to play an AAC file from a compact flash card there is currently a known issue that is can take a minute or two to start playing an AAC file.
It has also been reported that there is a delay in playing back AAC files from the network using firmware 2.0.36, however network playback works fine with firmware 2.0.34

What is Sonata?

Sonata is the name of the built-in music player on the PhotoBridge.

I'm playing AAC files fine, but the built in music player does not show the artist name, track name etc. like it does with my MP3 files?

The built-in music player, Sonata, only supports a music tagging system called ID3. ID3 is the tagging system used in MP3 files (and TTA files). AAC files generally use a different tagging system (most usually a tagging system called QT tags).

If my music files do not have ID3 tags (I'm playing AAC/FLAC/WMA) how can I see the tags

Unfortunately the built-in music player does not support the tagging systems used by these files. However there are third party music applications available that do support their tagging systems.

Sonica
http://www.bobsplace.com/sonica/

Does not require server software.

SlimRoku
http://www.permanence.com/SlimRoku/index.html

Requires use of SlimServer (server side software).

Both Sonica and SlimRoku are excellent solutions.

I'm trying to look at JPG pictures on my PhotoBridge, but they won't display

Unfortunately the PhotoBridge does not support JPG files saved in progressive format. You can use software such as Infranview http://www.irfanview.com/ to convert your JPGs to non-progressive JPG format.

How can I move the cursor in vi? The arrow keys don't work

k - up
j - down
h -left
l - right

I've telnetted into my PhotoBridge, but I can't write to my compact flash card

By default when a compact flash card is put into the PhotoBridge it is 'mounted' as being read-only. However it is possible to remount it as read/write using the following command

mount /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/flash1 -o rw,remount,sync

Note that you will have to remount as read/write after any reboots. However you can use scripts to do this automatically for you, see the answer to the question "Is there anyway to start up a 'swap file' automatically?" above.

I've tried playing a high definition MPEG2 file from a SD card, but its not playing correctly, its stuttering etc. Whats the problem?

The SD, SM and MS slots are connected to USB 1.1 internally, so they're limited to 12Mbps. The CF card is connected to the PCI bus and is good for upwards of 30Mbps.
USB 1.1 is not fast enough for most high definition MPEG2 files.
Last edited by soiaf on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.

MarkInDavis

Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:15 pm

Very useful.

Maybe some comments about the A vs. B version of hardware and using a swap file or not would be useful as well.

jor

Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:31 am

Thoughts, additions.

1- Is DHCP a problem because the server provides a different IP, or just the notion in general? I've been using DHCP static addressing so I don't need to alter the roku startup files. Of course, not all routers's firmware allow this.

2- Samba performance. Should discuss the performance limitations of it and where that might affect people. On that note, I was reading elsewhere that NFS performance could be improved by mounting read-only. I did not observe this on the roku, but there was a minor performance gain with smb - 4%. Not much, but someone right on the cusp might find it something to look into, if nfs isn't an option.

time cp m3.wmv /dev/null (186mb file)
nfs - 30s
smb- 60.6s
smb (ro) 58.1s

We should look into this further before making conclusions, so maybe premature for the FAQ. I'm trying to reproduce it on a different volume and getting bogged down with weird errors when I try to smbmnt -r.

3- startup files. Should list the rc file in which to add one's own (/etc/rc.local?) As with #1, I myself opt to just have a startup.roku file in /root that I can execute from the GUI on powerup. That prevents me from putting it into a bad state.

my startup.roku file, borrowing extensively from a lot of people here.

#!/bin/sh

portmaprunning=`ps aux | grep portmap | grep -v grep`
if [ "$portmaprunning" == "" ]; then
portmap
fi

# nfs mounts
mkdir /mnt/smb/misc
mkdir /mnt/smb/images
mkdir /mnt/smb/proofs
# mkdir /mnt/smb/mp3s

mount 192.168.1.99:/share/hdd/data/misc /mnt/smb/misc
mount 192.168.1.99:/share/hdd/data/images /mnt/smb/images
mount 192.168.1.99:/share/hdd/data/proofs /mnt/smb/proofs
# mount 192.168.1.99:/share/hdd/data/mp3s /mnt/smb/mp3s

# hide built-in - DISABLED
# /usr/local/bin/dispatchmountmessage mountType="unmount" mountPath="/mnt/flash0/home" mediaType="kInternalFlash" mediaDesc="MyBuiltIn" readOnly="false"

# hide CF from left side window.
/usr/local/bin/dispatchmountmessage mountType="unmount" mountPath="/mnt/flash1" mediaType="kCompactFlash" mediaDesc="MyCompactFlash" readOnly="false"

# add pointer for Mplay load menu.
ln -s /mnt/smb/misc/Movies /tmp/Volumes/Movies

# makes visible on left panel. appears to order alphabetically
/usr/local/bin/dispatchmountmessage mountType="mount" mountPath=/mnt/smb/misc mediaType="kNFSMount" mediaDesc="Media" readOnly="false"

/usr/local/bin/dispatchmountmessage mountType="mount" mountPath=/mnt/smb/images mediaType="kNFSMount" mediaDesc="slug pics" readOnly="false"

/usr/local/bin/dispatchmountmessage mountType="mount" mountPath=/mnt/smb/proofs mediaType="kNFSMount" mediaDesc="proofs" readOnly="false"

# /usr/local/bin/dispatchmountmessage mountType="mount" mountPath=/mnt/smb/mp3s mediaType="kNFSMount" mediaDesc="music" readOnly="false"

dgburns

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:44 am

First off, I think any references to threads here in the Roku forums should not be in a FAQ. We can leave the reference there, but the content itself should be in the FAQ on it's own, as there's no telling if/when Roku may "moderate" the forum to potentially remove content, or the whole forum itself goes away, or....

Some comments about your initial cut:

What is SMB?
I would change "folder to be shared on your PC" to "folder to be shared on your Windows PC". You may also wish to make mention that under unix/linux, it is "officially" called CIFS.

What video formats
More detail needed where discussing Nero/VLC solutions. For example, that audio support is limited to a minimal subset of what audio formats are elsewhere supported in the PB (i.e. not MP3, AAC, etc.). Perhaps a set of video and audio format recommendations?

Can I play my ripped DVDs
In this section you should mention that DVD menus are not currently supported, and it's unlikely menus will ever be supported without changes to the development tools (which may not be under Roku's control).

Some other things I had been tracking in my own little handy reference text file that maybe should be in a FAQ:

Replace Power Supply:
---------------------
(by andy) Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:42 pm

I just successfully replaced the power supply in my PhotoBridge. I have posted the steps I followed here:

http://frequal.com/roku/PowerSupplyRepl ... Guide.html

Not only does my PhotoBridge turn on now, but it is greatly improved. In particular, the range of the remote control has increased tremendously. It now works as well as or better than my other components. Additionally, with the power brick separate, the PB shouldn't get as hot.

Timing network streaming speed:
------------------------------
(by Marcelo)
So, please check the network speed for streaming this specific file:
time cp sony1080i.ts /dev/null
Take the size of the file, multiply by 8 and divide by the number printed
as "real", in seconds. If the result is less than 25000000, you have a
server or network problem that prevents you from playing this file.

Converting to TS with VLC:
--------------------------
(by TheEndless)
Select File | Open File...
Click Browse... on the File tab and select the AVI you want to convert.
Check Stream output at the bottom of the Open... dialog
Click Settings...
On the Stream output dialog, check File and enter a filename for the TS
Select MPEG TS under Encapsulation Method
Check Video Codec and select mp2v
Set the video codec Bitrate to 3072, Scale to 1
Check Audio Codec and select mpga
Set the audio codec Bitrate to 192
Click OK to close the Stream output dialog
Click OK to close the Open... dialog
Let VLC do its thing...

NFS on WinXP via Windows Services for Unix 3.5
----------------------------------------------
http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3012
(by KrispyKreme)
Here's how to access movies on a WinXP Pro PC via NFS versus the SMB route considering
accessing by NFS gives you a lot more headroom on the Roku which should clear up problems
with playback for most. I have 2.0.28 of the Roku firmware. I haven't seen quite anything
out there that bridges the gap to setup and access via NFS - so maybe this will help you.
This is not intended to be a walkthrough but rather contains the steps if you are already
somewhat familiar to accomplish this.

Step 1: Install Windows Services for Unix 3.5, you must select the Server for NFS peice
during install, upon completion you will be asked to reboot when everything fires back up
ensure you have the applicable services installed and running, eg. User Name Mapping &
Server for NFS.

Step 2: Click on the Client Groups tab within the Windows Services for Unix and create
a group, I called mine 'NFS'. Then I clicked on the Advanced hyperlink on that page and
added the IP of my ROKU (ie. 192.168.0.12). Click the Apply button (a few times for good
measure). This is a very important step, if you skip this step you will be able to mount
the share from the Roku but will not be able to access it and will get permission denied
when trying to do so.

Step 3: Under User Name Mapping, copy and paste or create a passwd and group file on your
PC (ANSI file type, Line Endings are UNIX (LF)). This lets us map the Administrator user
on the WinXP box to the root user on the Roku. I also mapped Guest accordingly, you might
not have to take it this far considering Guest is disabled on most anyway.

Code:
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
guest:x:1:1:guest:/home/guest:/bin/bash

Step 4: I've created a groups file matching that found on the Roku and created the same
way as the passwd file and mapped the groups Administrators to root (gid 0) group, Guests
to nobody (gid 99) group and Users to users (gid 100) group.

Code:
root::0:root
bin::1:root,bin,daemon
daemon::2:root,bin,daemon
sys::3:root,bin,adm
adm::4:root,adm,daemon
tty::5:
disk::6:root
lp::7:daemon,lp
mem::8:
kmem::9:
wheel::10:root
mail::12:mail
news::13:news
uucp::14:uucp
man::15:
games::20:
gopher::30:
dip::40:
ftp::50:
nobody::99:
users::100:

Step 5: My NFS file share on my WinXP machine fronts a few directories that have a few
movies I put onto the hard drive. Don't select Allow anonymous access, instead click the
Permissions button bringing you to a screen where you set type of access set to Read-Write,
Encoding is ANSI and Allow root access is checked.

Step 6: I login to Roku as root, start portmap make the directory structure and then
proceed to mount the NFS share.

Code:
(none) login: root
# /etc/init.d/portmap start
Starting portmapper: OK ]
# mkdir /tmp/Volumes/nfs
# mkdir /tmp/Volumes/nfs/goodmovies
# mount -t nfs 192.168.0.11:/goodmovies /tmp/Volumes/nfs/goodmovies

Before I run a Code:
dispatchmountmessage
to showcase the NFS share on the Roku GUI I attempt to change directory to the newly
mapped 'goodmovies' mount to see the contents - don't forget step 2 or you will get
'Permission Denied'.

Step 6: I run mount to verify what is mounted.

Code:
# mount
/dev/mtdblock/1 on / type cramfs (ro)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
/dev/mtdblock/2 on /mnt/flash0 type yaffs (rw)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
tmpfs on /var type tmpfs (rw)
tmpfs on /mnt/smb type tmpfs (rw)
192.168.0.11:/goodmovies on /tmp/Volumes/nfs/goodmovies type nfs (rw,v3,rsize=32
768,wsize=8192,hard,udp,lock,addr=192.168.0.11)

The last line shows that it is mounted

Step 7: Directory listing after NFS mount.

Code:
# pwd
/tmp/Volumes/nfs
# ls -al
drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 0 May 30 18:47 .
drw-r--r-- 3 root root 0 May 30 18:47 ..
drwx------ 2 root root 64 May 27 20:46 goodmovies

Step 8: Finally, run the below command to show the icon on the Roku GUI - this will
allow you to navigate with the latest version of MPlay and play your movies.

Code:
# dispatchmountmessage mountType="mount" mountPath="/tmp/Volumes/nfs/goodmovies"
mediaType="kNFSMount" mediaDesc="GoodMovies" readOnly="false"

Enjoy!!!

Random Photo Viewing:
---------------------
(by leenuxg33k)
Here is a multi-directory random picture viewer script that I stole from some other
poster a long time ago and modified a bit. Negatives are no rotation or zoom control.

Code:

#!/bin/sh
#random jpeg slideshow
PATH=$PATH:"/usr/local/bin"
#define the root dir you want, all subdirs will be included
JPEGPATH=/mnt/smb/nfs/nas1/Photoshow
#after these files are created, you can edit them to remove dirs
JPEGDIRS=/mnt/smb/nfs/nas1/Photoshow/jpegdirs.txt
JPEGLIST=/mnt/smb/nfs/nas1/Photoshow/jpeglist.txt

photo=$(ps -ef | grep photo | grep -v grep)
echo $photo
if [ -z "$photo" ]; then
photo -p&
sleep 2
fi

if [ ! -s $JPEGLIST ]; then
# Find all directories with jpegs in them...
find $JPEGPATH -name \*.jpg -print >> $JPEGLIST 2>/dev/null
find $JPEGPATH -name \*.JPG -print >> $JPEGLIST 2>/dev/null
# find /mnt -name \*.JPEG -print >> $JPEGLIST 2>/dev/null
# find /mnt -name \*.jpeg -print >> $JPEGLIST 2>/dev/null

cat $JPEGLIST | sed -e 's/\/[^\/]*$//' |awk -F/ '!/\.+/ {print $0}' | sort -u > $JPEGDIRS
fi

while ( true ); do
RANDOM=$(date +%s)
numberOfPicDirs=$(cat $JPEGDIRS | wc -l)

directoryToShow=$[ ( $RANDOM % $numberOfPicDirs ) +1 ]

directoryIs="$(cat $JPEGDIRS | tail -n $directoryToShow | head -n 1)"

echo $directoryIs
result=$(ecp photoApp IMAGEDIR "$directoryIs")
if [ "$result" != "photoApp: ok" ]; then
exit
fi
numberOfPics=$(grep "$directoryIs" $JPEGLIST | wc -l| sed -e 's/ //g')
echo "|$numberOfPics|"
for (( i=0; $i < $numberOfPics; i=$i+1 )); do
echo "i=$i"
result=$(ecp photoApp NEXT_IMAGE)
if [ "$result" != "photoApp: ok" ]; then
echo "Bye Bye.."
exit
fi
sleep 10
done
done

Info about creating and mounting a network swap file:
----------------------------------------------------
http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2074

Info on automatically mounting the swap file on boot:
----------------------------------------------------
http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2061
http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1104

Command to grab screens from the GUI:
------------------------------------
/usr/local/bin/screengrab

Step By Step getting Viper working:
----------------------------------
[by quartrj]
http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopi ... 6542#26542

First off Thankyou Humperdink for a great application.

I'm using Viper as a front end to another Fabulous application MPlay Thank you TheEndless and Marcelo3d.

First let me describe my environment a little. I have a file server running Windows 2000 it's network name is bonsai.
On this server I have created a user id for my roku units. On that server I have a network share called app. In this
share is where I put all of my roku applications. THIS IS IMPORATANT when you create this network share you must give
your roku id read and WRITE access.

[+]bonsai
------app
---------viper
---------Mplay

Also on bonsai I have a network share called video

[+]bonsai
------pictures
------music
------video
-----------TS
-----------DVArchive
-----------Movies
----------------A
----------------B
----------------C
----------------D
----------------E
----------------F
----------------G
----------------H
----------------I
----------------J
----------------K
----------------L
----------------M
----------------N
----------------O
------------------OurWedding
-----------------------------VTS_01_01.VOB
----------------P
----------------QR
----------------S
----------------T
----------------U
----------------V
----------------W
----------------XYZ

The above is my drive structure with folders equal to Title names in their respective folders in alphabetical order.

A few words about spaces in the path. They cause problems sure there are things you can do to make it work but they
are all more complicated than just not using them. My goal is to have an easy to use interface to my roku that will
play my movies. To achieve this goal spaces are not needed. To ease in reading the path I just capitalize the first
letter of each word. Once you get past this point you will be much happier.

Now install Mplay and make sure it works. I know Viper has it's own player and MPlay is not required but this is how
I set it up.

In my examples I'm going to use my exact settings if you setup your environment different you will have to make the
necessary modifications.

Below is the first portion of the Viper client.properties file.

#
# viper properties
#

#
# This directory name is appended to the /tmp/Volumes/XXX mount
# when scanning for media files. For example, if you have your
# media located in a directory called Videos shared under a
# sharename of MyShares (i.e. the path to your media is
# \\<machine>\MyShares\Videos, media.root should equal Videos
#
#1. MODIFY THE FOLLOWING LINE
media.root=bonsai-video/Movies

#
# MPlay properties
#
# mplay.path: The path to the mplay.app file (or any other player you want to use)
# mplay.args: Any arguments to pass to the player
# use.mplay: set to 'true' (no quotes) if you want to use this external player
#2. MODIFY THE FOLLOWING LINE
mplay.path=/mnt/smb/bonsai/app/MPlay/MPlay.app
mplay.args=
use.mplay=true

#
# the movie database file
#
#3. MODIFY THE FOLLOWING LINE
db.file=movies.html

Only three lines need modification to get viper working.

1. The media root - this is the portion of the roku path the is unique to your environment. If you have
trouble figuring this one out start MPlay and play a video it will display the path
starting with /tmp/Volumes/XXX You must make this value equal to XXX up to your main
movie folder.

2. The Mplay Path - set this equal to the path to the Mplay application. Also set use.mplay to true

3. The Movie db File - Use what ever name you want here for me it was easy to call it movies.html.

AllMyMovies Setup

Download AllMyMovies it looks like version 3.6 won't let you export to HTML as a demo so use 3.5 or buy 3.6 like I did.
Load you movies into AllMyMovies and put the path to you movie folders in the studio field on the general tab.
AllMyMovies has a Local Path field but this exports as an HTML hyper link. I'm not using Filename because MPlay's smart select works great. If you follow these instructions you won't
have to edit your database file.

For example my Wedding video I put

/tmp/Volumes/bonsai-video/Movies/O/OurWedding

Use this template

<ul>
<li>Title=[amm:title]
<li>Genre=[amm:genre]
<li>Director=[amm:director]
<li>Year=[amm:date]
<li>Actors=[amm:actors]
<li>Duration=[amm:duration]
<li>MPAA=[amm:mpaa]
<li>Resolution=[amm:resolution]
<li>Media=[amm:media]
<li>Aspect=[amm:aspectratio]
<li>Original Title=[amm:origtitle]
<li>Description=[amm:description]
<li>Path=[amm:studio]
</ul>

Well...let fly the slings and arrows... :)

I couldn't figure out how to add a template so I just edited one that already existed. In AllMyMovies go to the Tools
menu and select export to html. Pick your new template an click next save it to the viper folder using the name you
put in the client.properties file.

At this point you will be able to run Viper. Have Fun.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:01 am

dgburns wrote:
Can I play my ripped DVDs
In this section you should mention that DVD menus are not currently supported, and it's unlikely menus will ever be supported without changes to the development tools (which may not be under Roku's control).

It's definitely under Roku's control. RokuDon admitted that it would be fairly trivial to expose the necessary information. He either didn't see it as high enough priority or just never got around to it before he left. I also wouldn't say that "it's unlikely menus will ever be supported"... only that they're not currently supported ;).

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

dgburns

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:08 am

TheEndless wrote:
I also wouldn't say that "it's unlikely menus will ever be supported"... only that they're not currently supported ;).

Understood. My implication was that we have no indication Roku is EVER going to do anything else to expand/extend the current SDK. Now that RokuDon's gone, until proven otherwise, isn't it "unlikely"....??? :wink:

M1000 (upstairs)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:14 am

dgburns wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
I also wouldn't say that "it's unlikely menus will ever be supported"... only that they're not currently supported ;).

Understood. My implication was that we have no indication Roku is EVER going to do anything else to expand/extend the current SDK. Now that RokuDon's gone, until proven otherwise, isn't it "unlikely"....??? :wink:

It's unlikely that we'll get the updates to the SDK we'd like, but that doesn't mean a workaround isn't possible (and/or already in the works 8))...

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

drew138

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:46 pm

but that doesn't mean a workaround isn't possible (and/or already in the works Cool)...

Now we're talking! :D :D :D

dgburns

Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:44 am

Something to add to the FAQ:

RokuPatrick wrote:
http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6743
The SD, SM and MS slots are connected to USB 1.1 internally, so they're limited to 12Mbps. The CF card is connected to the PCI bus and is good for upwards of 30Mbps.

M1000 (upstairs)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

danielrigano

Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:35 am

Very useful guide!