Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

zephyr
Topic Author

Playlists sometimes stop at random points

Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:23 pm

When using the built-in player (Sonata, I believe it is called), it sometimes stops at the end of song and doesn't go to the next song. If it starts a song, it always finishes it (unless we do an activity with the Roku that tells it to stop). However, sometimes it automatically goes to the next item on the playlist, sometimes not. The probability of failure betwwen songs seems to be about 5% and appears unrelated to the size of the playlist.

I've just upgraded within the last 3 weeks to the 2.0.36 beta firmware. Did not have this problem with my former firmware 1.5.18.

In some respects, Sonata works better with 2.0.36. Example: as there is no longer a gap between songs (if it goes to the next song). But this flaw is motivating a return to old firmware.

This problem also occurs if we ask Sonata to play the contents of a folder full of MP3 files. Sometimes it makes it all the way through, but usually it stops after some random song and doesn't go to the next.

I've repeated playing the same folders or playlists and it does not always stop at the same point.

The Roku is set up to use a static IP. MPlay and other apps seem to work fine.

My wife is used to the Sonata interface. So there may be resistance to try other appliations although I'm trying Slim Roku for myself at the moment.

Any suggestions on why Sonata is doing this?

-zephyr

zephyr
Topic Author

add'l info

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:35 pm

I am also using Rev A hardware with a 64MB swapfile on Compact Flash. One add'l thing I've noticed is that although the System Info screen says "Swapfile: 64 MB", when I telnet into the Roku and look at the swapfile with "ls -l", the time stamp of the swap file never seems to change. Is this normal?

zephyr

zephyr
Topic Author

more data

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:59 pm

Also...my nework is a completely wired Ethernet one. 99.9% of my music files are 192kbps CBR MP3 files. I've checked the playlists (m3u) where I've experienced this problem. All are sane and the files referenced do exist at the specified locations.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:27 am

I've never personally seen this problem, though I don't use Sonata much at all. It's a complete re-write in the 2.0 betas, though, so it's entirely possible that there is a bug in there. When this happens, does it happen after a few hours of listening, or is it more often then that? I ask, because I would think it's probably more likely to be a memory leak/bug in the application if it happens more often after prolonged usage. Otherwise, I guess it could potentially be caused by a hiccup in the network. Just grasping at straws...

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

DaveSewhuk

are you playing AAC files?

Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:27 am

I have seen this with Sonata and Sonica when playing AAC/M4A type files. There is the 15-20 sec hangup between songs. During which the remote and everything seizes. Eventual there is a crash (video goes out of sync) and a reboot is necessary to get things working again. It does this to me after about 4 songs.

I thought it may have to do with a buggy AAC/M4A codec.

On the plus side slide show pictures look great and HexRadio is nice.

Dave

zephyr
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:52 pm

I'm using 192kbps CBR MP3 files. There is no hangup between songs. The Roku is immediately responsive to remote control, no reboot is needed. From viewing the on-screen Sonata interface, it just looks as though the "stop" button has been pressed at the end of a song.

No network hiccups, as I've been on other devices while listening to tunes. I'm completely wired and I play HD video with MPlay regularly without incident.

Again I'll ask this question:

I am also using Rev A hardware with a 64MB swapfile on Compact Flash. One add'l thing I've noticed is that although the System Info screen says "Swapfile: 64 MB", when I telnet into the Roku and look at the swapfile with "ls -l", the time stamp of the swap file never seems to change. Is this normal?

-zephyr

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:30 pm

zephyr wrote:
Again I'll ask this question:

-zephyr

Yup, that's normal (at least that's how it is on my Roku as well).

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)