Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Wheeler
Topic Author

MPlay and Movie File Formats

Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:09 am

Friends of the Roku,

so far the Roku and the several 3P applications really proved to be the superstandard! we are happy with it so far and certainly will be in the future!

One question:
Playing movies through Roku seems to be a problem. I have downloaded the latest version of Mplay (Thanks TheEndless!!) and it looks great. However, it cannot find my (already shared) movie drive, which is T:

Plenty of TV-recordings, movies etc. are on this drive. MPlay does not find it. What about the different versions of encoding? Is divx a valuable format for Roku (yet)?.

Can anyone give me some helpful advice about playing movies through my Roku?

thanks a lot for your help!

Nick

dgburns

Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:36 am

No divx, no xvid, no wmv, no quicktime, and likely will never be any native support for these kinds of formats. Photobridge natively plays MPEG-2 (and seemingly MOST MPEG-1) only.

You should be asking in the "Third Party Applications" forum about MPlay. But, you're saying that MPlay does not see your shared drive, but other applications on the Photobridge do see it? What OS and what type of sharing from the computer?
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

swingnstar

Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:24 am

Did you go into the network setup and find and "Check" the share you have shared as the T: drive? What operating system hosts your T: drive? Is it username and password protected? If so, have you given that information to ROKU?

Wheeler
Topic Author

Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:25 am

Thanks for your information.

I made it work. Probably needed a coupld of restarts. However, it's kinda depressing, that it will not play any divx / avi movies.

Thanks anyway for your help.

dgburns

Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:51 pm

Wheeler wrote:
Thanks for your information.

I made it work. Probably needed a coupld of restarts. However, it's kinda depressing, that it will not play any divx / avi movies.

Thanks anyway for your help.

It >CAN<, but not natively. You have to either offline transcode the divx/xvid avi's to MPEG-2 (preferably TS), OR use something like Nero's MediaHome UPnP server software on your Windows PC. I've never got Nero to work with XVID avi's, but reportedly there's a newer version out with Nero Digital 7 that I've not yet tried for XVID's.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2