Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

suresh
Topic Author

Need help for a home network

Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:05 pm

I have had a home network(I am not a computer expert) with the Roku, 3 cabled desktops, 2 wireless laptops and 1 wireless desktop.
The network has been running now for 6 years.
I have periodically upgraded Op systems and hardware.
My Roku still has the original build ?1.5.18 as this is all I need ( I use it to see digital photographs on a HDTV and listen to MP3 on my home system.

Over the last few months problems have developed in the network which I have not been able to solve.

First when I tried to upgrade one of the wireless laptops to 802g from 802b I ran into driver problems and it no longer is wireless which is not a problem as it still works on the cable network.

What is a BIG problem however is that some of the desktops lost connections to each other on ethernet (internet access is still there for all of them BUT I could not access files or drives). It started with 2 desktops but this did not bother me much because the 2 main desktops I use (both of which also have all the files that I need for the ROKU) still worked, with each other and the Roku.
I was unable to solve the file/drive access problem(I did notice that when I tried to reestablish a home network with the network wizard the firewall would automatically come on and even if I turned firewall off, it would still come on while the home network wizard did its thing - at the end the firewall would go on and there would be no drive or file access no matter what I did.

Today the remaining computers lost sharing capability and the Roku works with only one of the computers(roku was connected when the network lost drive access and I am afraid that if I turn the roku off and on I will lose all access between the Roku and the remaining computer.
All computers run windows XP and automaitically update.

Can anyone tell me why I lost access and help me restore file and drive access among these computers who are all under one workgroup(asking for the workgroup computers brings up the message that the workgroup is not accessible or I do not have administive rights)
My connections are
Internet by cable TO modem TO router with cable and wireless TO gigabit switch TO computers(unless wireless then get connection from router) (ROKU is connected to router ethernet port.)
All run XP.

dgburns

Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:10 am

For general troubleshooting, I'd start by getting all the IP addresses of the devices and build yourself a map of your network. Start...Run...cmd.exe and then type in "ipconfig" in the "dos box" that comes up. You want to know the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway of every PC.

For the Roku specifically, I'd try plugging the Roku into the gigabit switch instead of the router and see if it can then see the pc's from there.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

suresh
Topic Author

Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:08 pm

Thank you for your quick reply.
I will do that next week(very busy now) and post my results.

RhodesRunner

Re: Need help for a home network

Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:39 pm

suresh wrote:
First when I tried to upgrade one of the wireless laptops to 802g from 802b I ran into driver problems and it no longer is wireless which is not a problem as it still works on the cable network.

Not sure what you're using for an anti-virus / firewall solution (ala Norton Internet Security), but changing the laptop adapter from b to g would likely have resulted in the loss of your network settings.

With NIS, you'd need to access the Personal Firewall component configuration section and click the Networking tab. I suspect other solutions (McAfee, Zone Alarm, etc) offer similar capabilities.

A few basics if you happen to use NIS -
- all your machines should be on the same 'logical' network (Home, Away, Office)
- use IPCONFIG and/or PING to find out the IP settings for everything on your network (PCs, routers, printers, roku, network attached storage, etc.)
- pick the appropriate network from the "Settings for" dropdown...
- use the Add button to place them all in your "Trusted Zone". The easiest way to do this is to create an Address Range that includes all of your network addresses, from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.20, for example.

You'll need to check each device to make sure they can 'see' each other. You can check this from a Command Prompt by entering
PING nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
where nnn etc is another IP address on your network. You should get a response back from each device you ping if they are configured correctly. The response will look something like...

Pinging 192.168.1.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=30
Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=30

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.2:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 1ms

If your response isn't similar to the above, ping another address. If you can't get a response anywhere, the problem's probably on the current machine (maybe incorrect subnet, IP address (192.168.1.n instead of 192.168.0.n??), even a bad connection, or a defective network adapter.)

Don't hesitate to disable local firewall(s) temporarily to see if doing so gets you appropriate responses, and lets you see shares again. If so, creating the "trusted zone" should help when you re-enable your firewalls.

I usually start by making sure I can "see" the router first, as it is instrumental in getting around the network.

When you get to a point where you're seeing everything, I expect your shares will re-appear too. :)

Good luck. You can do it.