Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

julianmclean
Topic Author

Possible to hide a Upnp Share?

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:58 am

Does anyone know how to hide a Upnp share from the main PB screen? I know how to hide the smb shares using mount/unmount, but now I've started using Nero 7 as a UPNP server to transcode files for MPlay, it shows up on my previously clean main screen and is bugging me!

S80_UK

Possible to hide a Upnp Share?

Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:22 am

Hi All,

Just thought I'd bump this question - I would also like PB not to show any UPNP servers (and I don't want/need it to access them). Just in the interests of making this more "family friendly"... :)

Les.

soiaf

Re: Possible to hide a Upnp Share?

Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:28 pm

S80_UK wrote:
I would also like PB not to show any UPNP servers (and I don't want/need it to access them). Just in the interests of making this more "family friendly"... :)

If you're not interested in UPnP at all on the PhotoBridge then the easiest thing to do would be to disable the program that handles UpnP.
To do this you would edit the file
/etc/inittab

Look for this line
::respawn:/usr/local/bin/cascade_upnpd

and place a # in front of it i.e.

#::respawn:/usr/local/bin/cascade_upnpd

Now reboot your PhotoBridge. This should stop the UPnP share from appearing, but not disable ordinary network shares.
Obviously to re-enable just remove the # :)

S80_UK

Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:43 pm

Cool! Thanks!

I had no idea that it could be as simple as that. I've still got a lot to learn here, and as a consequence I am reluctant to poke around too much unless I break something (even if I can re-flash to get back to square one).

I will try later this evening and report back.

Cheers,

Les.

soiaf

Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:58 pm

Hopefully it should work fine for you.
If you have problems editing the file (vi is not for everyone) let me know and I'll see if I can put together a script to do the modification.

As a followup to this idea, if you use UPnP occasionally, you could still make this change to the inittab file, and then have two scripts available on a share that you can see.

One script for enabling UPnP
/usr/local/bin/cascade_upnpd &

and the other script for stopping UPnP (and cleaning up the desktop)
killall cascade_upnpd
killall taskview

but this stop script would only work properly if you've made the change to inittab.

S80_UK

Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:41 pm

soiaf wrote:
Hopefully it should work fine for you.

Yes - perfect! Thanks for your help.

soiaf wrote:
If you have problems editing the file (vi is not for everyone) let me know and I'll see if I can put together a script to do the modification.

Well, I managed with vi this time without reading any instructions. I guess old dogs can learn new tricks sometimes. :)

soiaf wrote:
As a followup to this idea, if you use UPnP occasionally, you could still make this change to the inittab file, and then have two scripts available on a share that you can see.

One script for enabling UPnP
/usr/local/bin/cascade_upnpd &

and the other script for stopping UPnP (and cleaning up the desktop)
killall cascade_upnpd
killall taskview

but this stop script would only work properly if you've made the change to inittab.

That sounds like an interesting idea to explore, but I think I need to understand some of the commands and the organisation of what's where a bit better first - I shall go look some more things up. The main thing is that I no longer have the UPNP stuff cluttering up the screen.

Thanks once again,

Les.