Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
Burkhardi
Posts: 1943
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:06 am
Location: Austin, Texas ...Y'all

Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:46 am

andy wrote:
Burkhardi wrote:
This does not look good for Homestar runner.....

??? What does this mean?


It means more or less "oh crap".You can "google" it if you want.

When Homestar Runner hosed Strongbads PC, kinda an inside joke, sorta.
Unless your a fan, which I know one of the Roku guys are, you would probably think it was totaly stupid or not get it.

If you really want to know...
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail50.swf
it's about half way in to flower.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
 
dgburns
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:37 am

Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:17 pm

chackett wrote:
I would hope that they'll at least finalize the 2.0 software for the current units before moving on to development of the new machines; to leave all of us hanging would be a real slap in the face.


Hear, hear! Pissing on those of us who adopted the recently EOL'd product is no way to build a marketing base for a new product. I have no doubt if they brought HD1000/1500 to an acceptable "end state", there are a LOT of us who would jump on a new product right out of the gate.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2
 
chackett
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:37 pm
Location: Wallingford, CT

Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:42 pm

dgburns wrote:
chackett wrote:
I would hope that they'll at least finalize the 2.0 software for the current units before moving on to development of the new machines; to leave all of us hanging would be a real slap in the face.


Hear, hear! Pissing on those of us who adopted the recently EOL'd product is no way to build a marketing base for a new product. I have no doubt if they brought HD1000/1500 to an acceptable "end state", there are a LOT of us who would jump on a new product right out of the gate.


Agreed. I'd certainly support a new Roku product, IF they finally get their act together in the support department. I love the PB, but I DON'T love the way Roku has treated everyone here.
Roku HD1000 Rev B
Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma
Artison Portrait LCR
Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR
Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V2500
Motorola DCT-6412
Home Theater Master MX-3000
 
Dan Smart
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:19 am
Location: Connecticut

Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:31 pm

chackett wrote:
dgburns wrote:
chackett wrote:
I would hope that they'll at least finalize the 2.0 software for the current units before moving on to development of the new machines; to leave all of us hanging would be a real slap in the face.


Hear, hear! Pissing on those of us who adopted the recently EOL'd product is no way to build a marketing base for a new product. I have no doubt if they brought HD1000/1500 to an acceptable "end state", there are a LOT of us who would jump on a new product right out of the gate.


Agreed. I'd certainly support a new Roku product, IF they finally get their act together in the support department. I love the PB, but I DON'T love the way Roku has treated everyone here.


So please go to roku.general (where the "important" customers can be found) and point that out... It's apparent that no one in Roku cares a jot what you say in here...

I'm done with them though, I'm through spending money with a company that treats it's customers this poorly. The last time we got anything from them was when RokuDon was there, and they "lost" him (there was a message there you know), now they can't even be bothered to actually tell us that they've killed the photobridge, despite having denied categorically that that was on the cards less than 3 months ago.

But the best bit, the very best bit, the thing that had me pissing myself with laughter last night is the following quote from the end of the "end of production" announcement:
If you are a current PhotoBridge customer looking for support, you’re in the right place!

Yeah right... for as long as the other customers are still around to help...

In closing, I owe a huge number of thanks to TheEndless and Marcelo3d, without you guys I'd never have bought a second one... wait a minute...

Dan "Great community, a product that came so close, and a company that despises it's customers" Smart
4xM2000 2xM1000.
 
chackett
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:37 pm
Location: Wallingford, CT

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:48 am

Dan Smart wrote:
I'm done with them though, I'm through spending money with a company that treats it's customers this poorly. The last time we got anything from them was when RokuDon was there, and they "lost" him (there was a message there you know), now they can't even be bothered to actually tell us that they've killed the photobridge, despite having denied categorically that that was on the cards less than 3 months ago.

Believe me, I share your frustration, but you're twisting the facts here. Roku hasn't killed the Photobridge; they've killed the current model in the Photobridge line. What's (apparently) happening is what many regulars on this forum have been wishing for; rather than just switching factories, they're upgrading the hardware as well.

I don't agree at all with the way they're handling this transition, but I'm happy to see that it's happening. I'm going to wait and see what the new machines look like, and to see whether there's an SDK with active support of 3rd party developers. The PB would be nothing without the development community that's active here, and the same will likely be true of the next generation.
Roku HD1000 Rev B

Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma

Artison Portrait LCR

Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR

Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer

Yamaha RX-V2500

Motorola DCT-6412

Home Theater Master MX-3000
 
Dan Smart
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:19 am
Location: Connecticut

Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:01 am

chackett wrote:
Believe me, I share your frustration, but you're twisting the facts here. Roku hasn't killed the Photobridge; they've killed the current model in the Photobridge line.

They've killed the only model in the photobridge line. Other than their entreaty that we should "Stay tuned for new product announcements in the PhotoBridge line in early 2007", we don't know anything else. In particular they have said nothing about what those new products will comprise, which makes your next claim fantastical:
What's (apparently) happening is what many regulars on this forum have been wishing for; rather than just switching factories, they're upgrading the hardware as well.

Please show me any evidence you have to support this claim. How do you know that the new product isn't going to be, say, the existing hardware in a new box? Indeed can you provide any evidence that the new product will be anything more than a digital photo viewer, RokuAnthony has gone on record several times as saying that (despite what the box and their own literature claimed) PhotoBridge was never intended to be anything more than that. By the way, it seems to me that what most, if not all, of the regulars on this forum have actually been wishing for, is for them to finish the software.

chackett wrote:
I don't agree at all with the way they're handling this transition, but I'm happy to see that it's happening. I'm going to wait and see what the new machines look like, and to see whether there's an SDK with active support of 3rd party developers. The PB would be nothing without the development community that's active here, and the same will likely be true of the next generation.


What transition, the only transition was from "we will sell you a HD1000 in the summer" to "we will never sell the HD1000 again". It's worth noting that if you do the research (and I have recently), the PhotoBridge was pretty much the sole creation of RokuDon, and he is the only one who has ever (openly) been interested in video products. They killed the PhotoBridge as we know it, the day they "lost" RokuDon. If they had been open about the future of the PhotoBridge, if they hadn't in fact repeatedly misled us about that future, if they had handled the announcement of the demise of the HD1000 professionally, then it might be worth waiting 6 months to see if they can compete with the products already on the market in this space...

But they did...

And this is probably my last posting on the subject, the initial disgust at the contempt with which they've treated their customers has passed, and it's time to move on.

Dan "I wish I knew what Don Woodward was doing now" Smart
4xM2000 2xM1000.
 
chackett
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:37 pm
Location: Wallingford, CT

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:44 am

Dan Smart wrote:
Please show me any evidence you have to support this claim.

I'm speculating, obviously (hence the paranthetical "apparently"); you're speculating as well. Neither one of us knows what will actually happen.

I'm hoping my speculations end up being closer to reality than yours, but only time will tell. I'll be waiting to see what the next version of the Photobridge will be like; you apparently won't. That's fine.
Roku HD1000 Rev B

Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma

Artison Portrait LCR

Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR

Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer

Yamaha RX-V2500

Motorola DCT-6412

Home Theater Master MX-3000
 
Burkhardi
Posts: 1943
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:06 am
Location: Austin, Texas ...Y'all

Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:42 pm

I think what we may see is a souped up Show Center 200...

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/u ... er+200.htm

that's what I guess for early 2007

Show Center 200 Hardware

Inputs and outputs:

ShowCenter 200 provides outputs equivalent to a premium-quality DVD player, thus ensuring optimum video and audio quality.

SCART 21-pin connector (Europe-only, also known as Peritel connector or Euroconnector) with composite, Y/C, RGB, stereo audio
Component video output (YPbPr, 3 x RCA)
Composite video output (1 x RCA)
Y/C ("S-Video") video output (1 x Hosiden)
Stereo audio outputs ("Line-Out" - 2 x RCA)
Additional stereo audio output (for separate connection to audio system - 2 x RCA)
Digital audio outputs, both optical (1 x Toslink) and electrical (S/PDIF 1 x RCA)


Further inputs and outputs:

Ethernet 100BASE-T (1 x RJ-45) with associated connection/data LEDs
Integrated Wi-Fi 802.11g, interface with built-in antenna
Power cable connector
IR receiver
NEW! USB Connector on front panel


Switches, indicators:

Power button on front panel
LED for standby or power on mode
LED on front of ShowCenter which signals that a newly imported media file is ready for playback


Supported File Formats

Music: MP3, MPEG-1 layer 2 (MPA), PCM WAV, WMA, Incompatible audio files (such as WMA lossless, WMA Pro) will be converted to MP3 at 192 kbit/s.
Video: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-2 VOB, MPEG-4 AVI, Xvid, WMV9.
HD Video: WM9 HD up to 1080i, WM9 HD up to 1080i with DRM, MPEG-2 HD up to 720p, MPEG-4 HD AVI up to 720p Incompatible video files (such as DV) will be converted to a ShowCenter compatible format as set by the user.
Images: JPEG, BMP, PNG and GIF All “portrait” oriented image files are rotated by 90° as defined in the ShowCenter 200 database. The pictures are optimised on the fly for TV screen display and stored as a copy in JPEG format, preserving the original image file. A software colour correction and flicker filter is selectable from the ShowCenter 200 player.


System Requirements



Minimum System Requirements:

Intel® Pentium® III. 1.0 GHz or equivalent AMD® Athlon® CPU or Celeron®/Duron 1.2 GHz
256 MB RAM
EIDE hard disk with minimum 10 GB free space
DirectX® 8 or higher compatible graphics controllers
DirectX 9 or higher compatible sound controller
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
802.11b/g for wireless connection or 10/100BASE-T for wired Ethernet connection
Mouse
Windows® XP Professional or Home edition, or Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 or higher


Recommended System Requirements:

Intel Pentium 4, 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1800
512 MB RAM
UDMA hard drive with 80 GB or more disk space
DirectX 9 (or higher) compatible graphic card and soundcard
CD or DVD-Recorder
802.11g for wireless connection or 100BASE-T for wired Ethernet connection
Mouse
Windows XP Professional or Home edition
Last edited by Burkhardi on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
 
User avatar
RokuAnthony
El Jefe
Posts: 702
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:44 pm
Location: Palo Alto, CA USA
Contact:

Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:08 am

 
Just Don
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:19 pm

Hello Dan Smart

Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:32 pm

Dan Smart wrote:
It's worth noting that if you do the research (and I have recently), the PhotoBridge was pretty much the sole creation of RokuDon...

RokuDon did Cascade, the setup app and plugin model, SDK sample apps, ATI device drivers, /dev/roku/cascade
RokuDave did Linux, Networking, SDK, boot rom, kernel hacking, file system design, multi-target build system design
RokuMike did the photo app
RokuPatrick did taskview and listen
RokuDan did screen saver design and implementation, World Clock App, Cascade programming, and Performance Engineer.
RokuAnthony conceived and funded.
RokuGreg designed and built the hardware (which hardware is the best I've ever used).
RokuVan procured, contract manufactured, cajoled and managed the delivery of the HD1000 product.
RokuShawn supported the entire customer base and engineering staff.
RokuAnn marketed the product.
RokuSally... Sigh. RokuSally...
And then there was the crack PR team at A&R Partners: anyone catch me on CBS Eyewitness News at the HD1000 product launch? 8)

Dan Smart wrote:
...and he [RokuDon] is the only one who has ever (openly) been interested in video products.

RokuDon and RokuDave were video evangelists.
RokuMike favored high-performance high-resolution imaging and manipulation of digital photographs.
RokuPatrick favored music.
RokuDan was made to do all of the difficult mathematics.

I want to also acknowledge our SDK developers and want to thank you for your adoption of the Cascade API and the investment of your time in creating sdk applications. Particularly, Marcelo3d, from whom I slunk off in the night, for creating the ultimate in video convenience which I use every single day to entertain my children. To TheEndless, though I don't particularly favor slim technology, your music app is absolutely killer and a model of cool ui. And Andy Oliver for LiveSpy and VNCSix and the directory of sdk programs, and wtf is up with soaif with all of those audio codecs!!??! I'm proud of the codec extensibility model so thanks for using it! Finally BJ Johns with WeatherSix I consider to be the model Cascade Programmer. Thanks for setting such a fine example and pioneering the open release of your source code to the community. I encourage everyone to continue developing Cascade apps not only for the purpose of enhancing our existing HD1K functionalty (hope my power supply doesn't die), but because I do believe Cascade will continue to appear in future products.
Dan Smart wrote:
Dan "I wish I knew what Don Woodward was doing now" Smart

Try whois woodward.org
 
EddieVan
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:08 pm

Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:41 am

Well... I won't deny that I'm watching carefully, and I'm not very optimistic. I've been lead by the nose before (Auditron)... Once the momentum on a product (or line) has been killed, it creates a fair bit of animosity. This animosity will most certainly pour into the new product line.

Of course, it seemed quite obvious from the desires of most people here, the existing photobridge could not be made to perform the features that the vocal people wanted.

What worries me, is that this may signal a move to video... and I purchased my photobridge for high resolution image viewing. Sadly, there will likely be no further development on this front.
 
mjt5282
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:46 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA
Contact:

Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:36 am

thanks Don, you helped build a wonderful device that a lot of us still use daily or nearly so ...
PB1000 Rev. A (X3), PB1000 Rev. B (X3), SlimServer 6.5.4 + Nero MediaHome (for transcoding to MPlay)
 
BJJohns
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:38 am
Location: Columbia, MD
Contact:

Re: Hello Dan Smart

Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:34 am

Just Don wrote:
Finally BJ Johns with WeatherSix I consider to be the model Cascade Programmer. Thanks for setting such a fine example and pioneering the open release of your source code to the community.

Don, I just wanted to thank you for your complement as well as the support that you provided. I enjoy using my HD1000's every day to view video from my new HD video camera (Sony HDR-HC3) using the awsome MPlay app from Marcelo3d and TheEndless.

For a taste of the video quality....the 2 links below are short HD clips of some of my friends flying their ultralight aircrafts from our airport located in southern PA....Enjoy! :)
UltralightTakeoff1.mpg
UltralightTakeoff2.mpg

-BJ Johns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests