Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

soiaf
Topic Author

No more HD1000

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:51 am

As mentioned in the power supply thread:

Changes to the PhotoBridge line
Roku is no longer carrying the PhotoBridge HD1000 and HD1500 products. Stay tuned for new product announcements in the PhotoBridge line in early 2007.

Not too suprising really.

But what does this mean in terms of them finally finishing the version 2 firmware?
Why did Roku not bother announcing this news in the forums?

halfsheep

Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:18 am

Sorry, my post crossed in the mail with yours. I agree completely about the lack of communication. They have the forum and need to use it better themselves. Very dissapointing.

Burkhardi

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:40 am

This does not look good for Homestar runner.....
I will view this as glass half full since they said to look back in early 2007..
Hope they finaly release the beta frimware as on offical release.

RIP HD1000/1500

I should have known when I saw a "Red Tag" on one at Fry's. If you see a Red Tag where the price is, then that priduct is discontinued or no longer carried by Fry's.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

pg_rider

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:33 am

Meh... for me my PB1000 does exactly what I always wanted a media server to do (more actually), so as long as I can continue to keep it running (i.e. once the power supply goes) I don't see a need for anything different or further firmware changes... :)

sansp00

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:49 am

I'll report here since this seems the 'official thread'

Well, I am a bit discouraged by the announcement ( or lack of it ... ). The HD is still a very capable machine in my opinion. I doubt they'll finish off what they begun. Getting our hands on the OS code would be THE ideal path for us now. I think the community would be able to 'complete' it. I am aware of the propriatary code for the graphic stuff, but I am sure something could be worked out.

Anyway, it's a sad day for Roku. The next product better be a kick ass product 'cause with the way they handled this one, it will take me a lot to swallow that pill.

I wonder what will happen to the forum and all the info/downloads on the site now ?

Patrick S.
Roku HD1000 (revived!), R1000 x2, M1001 x2
Linksys NSLU2 with Firefly
Netgear WGR614,JGS516,GS608,GS605 x3

sansp00

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:05 am

On a side note for canadian consumers ... I noticed they re started distributing via Futureshop ( only via Best Buy before or some sparse only retailers ).

I also saw an article on the BBC about streamers mentionning ROKU and saying we were still 10 years away of 'average' people common usage.

I think they are trying to open up to the mass market. I only hope this won't end up in a 'watered' down product ...
Patrick S.
Roku HD1000 (revived!), R1000 x2, M1001 x2

Linksys NSLU2 with Firefly

Netgear WGR614,JGS516,GS608,GS605 x3

soiaf
Topic Author

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:45 am

Based on the new versions of the SoundBridge (radio and M1001) I would guess that they're going to be trying for a more 'consumer friendly' version - which would probably mean theres no chance they'll have things like the open-source/SDK development.
Which would be a real pity.

As I'm guessing :) maybe Roku are looking at the MMC aspect of HD-DVD and BluRay ('formal' backing up of your hidef movies).

AmazinglySmooth

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:52 am

I, for one, am excited about something new. I just love buying in early and sidelining stuff that doesn't work that well. Glad I have lots of extra dough.

Cheers

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:59 am

soiaf wrote:
Based on the new versions of the SoundBridge (radio and M1001) I would guess that they're going to be trying for a more 'consumer friendly' version - which would probably mean theres no chance they'll have things like the open-source/SDK development.

According to RokuAnthony, the new products "will definitely have an SDK, and the continuation of our third party developer program is very important to us." So that's a plus...

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

soiaf
Topic Author

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:55 pm

TheEndless wrote:
According to RokuAnthony, the new products "will definitely have an SDK, and the continuation of our third party developer program is very important to us." So that's a plus...

Well, that would be nice at least (if they mean it)

I've stated this many times before, but the SDK was tremendously important to me - it was the reason I bought a PhotoBridge in the first place. I think the software that you and Marcelo (and many others) have influenced many people to stay with the PhotoBridge, and in some cases to buy-in in the first place. I hope some of my own code helped improve peoples experience.

But while I understand Rokus decision to end the HD1000 - I don't think it comes as a big shock - I really think Roku should have made an official annoucement in the forums, and talking to the people who matter - their customers. I respect that many companies don't have forums of the same calibre as the roku ones, but in this lack of announcement I really feel that Roku have shown a basic lack of respect to their customers.

cabinetman

Newbie Roku User

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:19 pm

Hi all.

I'm a rank newbie with the Roku unit. I've been working extremely hard over the past five years to find a way to display my hi-res digital photos onto my Mitsubishi HD RPTV. I've done it all but nothing has been satisfactory. By chance, I happen to find some link to Roku. I never heard about it all the years I was playing with poorer technology. Wasn't I surprised to find that back in 2003, Roku had come up with a way to do just what I've been trying to do.

However, I was disappointed to find out that Roku has ceased operations and the HD1000 was discontinued. I did find something that appeared to be a good replacement......D-link's Media Lounge. I was actually on my way to purchase one when I happen to see Tweeter next door to Best Buy. The D-Link system looked promicing but....and this is a big but....D-link themselves could not confirm that their photo player worked in HD or even in 16:9. The literature clearly avoids that discussion and the customer service person I spoke to didn't have a clue about what I was asking. So much for their "service".

So, I decided to hit Tweeter (the seller of my tv) and discuss the situation. The manager was extremely helpful and asked me if I had requested that Tweeter look in their computer to see if any units still existed. Well, lo and behold the had three in their system. Two were about 40 miles away and they said that I could buy it, complete, for $108 (!) and that the warrantee would be honored and if it didn't work out, I could return it within 30 days for a full refund.

Well, wasn't I pleased! I'm really excited about finally getting my hands on one of these units. I want to use it for one reason and one reason only. I want to display photos. I do not care about Mpgs or Music in the least. I'll work to get the Wi-Fi access point installed and access my computer. I'll also upgrade the firmware to the beta version.

I've got a lot of experience with a Tivo system (similar setup but absolutely horrible viewer as it's only analog and sd).

You've all helped me a ton already by clearly describing all the foibles with this unit. However, every single review seems to agree that the photo display is the one thing this system does as advertised. That's why I'm excited about finally putting this project to bed and finally.....FINALLY enjoying my Hi-res photos on my big screen in all their glory!

Rome

oldhand

Link to Roku statement...

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:25 pm

Here's the link to the official statement: http://www.rokulabs.com/support/HD1000discontinued.php

andy

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:45 pm

Burkhardi wrote:
This does not look good for Homestar runner.....

??? What does this mean?
Andy Oliver
LiveSpy: Watch Live Webcams:http://frequal.com/LiveSpy/roku/index.html
VncSix: Web Surfing+:http://frequal.com/roku/VncSix/index.html
SongInfo:http://frequal.com/roku/SongInfo/index.html

andy

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:54 pm

While I am disappointed about the end of the HD1000 and HD1500, I am very hopeful that the next generation of PhotoBridges will be true to the original, yet more powerful. I especially hope that they will feature a backwards-compatible SDK, so our third party applications will be portable to the new PBs with a minimum of fuss.

Most of all, I hope when the new line comes out it gets full-time, dedicated staffing. If Roku was able to make the 1xxx series as good as it is with a very small team that diminished over time, one can only image how incredible the next generation will be if it gets a full team that is able to see it through several software releases.
Andy Oliver

LiveSpy: Watch Live Webcams:http://frequal.com/LiveSpy/roku/index.html

VncSix: Web Surfing+:http://frequal.com/roku/VncSix/index.html

SongInfo:http://frequal.com/roku/SongInfo/index.html

chackett

Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:30 am

I would hope that they'll at least finalize the 2.0 software for the current units before moving on to development of the new machines; to leave all of us hanging would be a real slap in the face.
Roku HD1000 Rev B
Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma
Artison Portrait LCR
Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR
Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V2500
Motorola DCT-6412
Home Theater Master MX-3000