Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:38 pm

rhubarbe wrote:
In that case, do you think I might be better off using NTSC as my output?

It really depends on the video format you're planning on watching. PAL played at NTSC resolutions will stutter on the PhotoBridge. If you use MPlay, you can specify both a PAL and an NTSC resolution, so you can switch on the fly if necessary.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

dgburns

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:46 pm

rhubarbe wrote:
In that case, do you think I might be better off using NTSC as my output?

I play Hi Def 25fps streams via MPlay with my PhotoBridge set to 720p NTSC output (my TV's native resolution), and I don't have any stuttering. PAL DVD's, now, those DO stutter.

I'd go with whatever is the majority of your content, or as Endless suggested configure MPlay to switch back and forth (never tried this myself).
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

rhubarbe

Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:42 am

Thanks very much. MPlay gets loaded onto the PB, from memory, doesn't it?

I mean it's not an uPnP app that has to go on a PC or a server.

dgburns

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:38 pm

rhubarbe wrote:
Thanks very much. MPlay gets loaded onto the PB, from memory, doesn't it?

I mean it's not an uPnP app that has to go on a PC or a server.

MPlay needs to be either on a mounted CF/etc. card, or on a share visible to the Roku. No, it's not a UPnP app (i.e. server), but if you DO have a UPnP server on your PC (Nero, etc.) MPlay when running on the Roku itself will let you view the content being offered out by your UPnP server.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

rhubarbe

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:01 pm

I've got some spare SD cards, will they work? I know that they only work at USB1.1 speed. Or I could get a CF to SD adapter and use the IDE speed of the CF slot.

If I install MPlay on a CF/SD card and my files are all on a NAS, with no uPnP server at all, will that work?

TheEndless

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:46 pm

rhubarbe wrote:
I've got some spare SD cards, will they work? I know that they only work at USB1.1 speed. Or I could get a CF to SD adapter and use the IDE speed of the CF slot.

If I install MPlay on a CF/SD card and my files are all on a NAS, with no uPnP server at all, will that work?

You'll need to mount the NAS as a share on the Roku. Once that's done, the best bet would be to just put in on the same NAS in it's own folder. It loads into memory when you launch it, so it can be anywhere, as long as it's visible to the Roku.

If you haven't already, take a look at the MPlay website, and review the FAQ in the MPlay forum.

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

rhubarbe

Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:39 pm

I did read it yes, but then I despaired of finding a REV B PB. Now I have I shall revisit of course. :)

Install MPlay on NAS, yes? Right. That makes sense.

I have been using a modded Xbox, still using files on my NAS. The DVD doesn't work, it has a fan and it's ugly and huge, but it (the Xbox) is the first device I have bought to stream remote media to a TV that actually does what it says it does. I'll be sorry to lose it but it takes up so much room in my stack.

sliderule1768

Repair Help

Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:06 pm

After some web searching it appears that power supply failure is very common problem in the HD1000. My unit died recently and it appears to be a power supply issue. As the HD1000 is discontinued would it be possible to get a schematic so I could repair the unit? I suspect the power supply is a simple series regulated unit with commonly available components.

TheEndless

Re: Repair Help

Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:44 am

sliderule1768 wrote:
After some web searching it appears that power supply failure is very common problem in the HD1000. My unit died recently and it appears to be a power supply issue. As the HD1000 is discontinued would it be possible to get a schematic so I could repair the unit? I suspect the power supply is a simple series regulated unit with commonly available components.

There's tons of information in this thread: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2261

TheEndless

rhubarbe

Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:37 am

Is the USB port (which I assume is a host controller) on the PB powered, as on a PC?

If so, is it powered in standby, or only when it's switched "on"?

jimhall

Any PhotoBridge News

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:19 am

Anthony - Any NEW news you can share since your July 2006 post regarding the new PhotoBridge? I noticed you have removed all info regarding the PhotoBridge from the Product line part of your website.

Thanks,
jimhall

TheEndless

Re: Any PhotoBridge News

Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:18 am

jimhall wrote:
Anthony - Any NEW news you can share since your July 2006 post regarding the new PhotoBridge? I noticed you have removed all info regarding the PhotoBridge from the Product line part of your website.

Thanks,
jimhall

Take a look at the BrightSign forum. It looks like that line is the spiritual successor to the PhotoBridge.

TheEndless

olllllo

Re: Any PhotoBridge News

Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:25 am

TheEndless wrote:
jimhall wrote:

Thanks,
jimhall

Take a look at the BrightSign forum. It looks like that line is the spiritual successor to the PhotoBridge.

TheEndless

I'll start researching power supply alternatives. In the meantime, I suggest that they start their OS sequnce at 3.0... too many bad memories below 3.

olllllo

Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:28 am

Perhaps the new business model is (HSP) Hardware Service Provider in that your lease expires when the power supply fails.

Zanoryt

Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:16 pm

This thread makes me so sad. When Roku first came out with the HD1000, they were the HD studs on the market. They had a slick name, cutting edge "technology" and a thriving user base.

Then they let this product slpip. Then the lies and silence. Then, eventually a public letter from the CEO. Then lots of people replied with questions, demands, etc and the CEO ignored it.

How typical.

Personally, I'm quite disappointed that I spent over $1000 and got nothing but broken gear out of it. It really should be a crime.

They didn't make a profit off the product line? OK. I believe it. But they sure as flower have made profits off the M500, M1000, M1001, M200, 0, etc.

If they truly cared about their customers, early adopters, testers, etc and had some pride, they would have taken care of us. Even now. They have most of our addresses from support calls and letters. They've replaced some of our units (only to have those fail after a couple of months). Why don't they use some of their profits and give some of us a couple of Soundbridge Radio's as an apology. Yeah right, they are too busy bitching about how their vendors flower up the HD1000 for them and how they lost money on it, and busy lapping up their SB profits.

Frankly, the law is too lax on companies and they keep getting away with this flower. Regardless, I'm still scorned enough to write up a couple of letters to the he BBB and other agencies.

Kevin