Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

aibo

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:34 am

Thanks chackett, it helps ... I will try the 2.0.36 once my HD1000 is revived from its heart attack (PSU failure).

jor

A final request

Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:37 pm

Anthony,

for better and worse, I understand the reasons behind the conclusion. At this point in time I agree that it makes more sense to move forward, if you're still willing to take a chance in the nascent video market. Every new device does some level of wmv and mpeg4 (though most require a PC server as a back end, a critical flaw) and a device that only does mpeg2, no matter how well for HD, is at a disadvantage too great to justify a new manufacturing line.

My concern is that Roku may want to hide the remains of the HD1000 as it is a dead product in the support groups. If you decide to purge these groups, we would appreciate notice so that we can pull the most useful postings - info on the third party sw, steps on the DIY power supply replacements - and put them on an alternate web server. I think 30 days would be adequete to determine a home (I'd offer, or look towards Yahoo Groups) and to migrate users and information.

Jason O'Rourke

olllllo

Re: A final request

Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:59 am

jor wrote:
Anthony,

for better and worse, I understand the reasons behind the conclusion. At this point in time I agree that it makes more sense to move forward, if you're still willing to take a chance in the nascent video market. Every new device does some level of wmv and mpeg4 (though most require a PC server as a back end, a critical flaw) and a device that only does mpeg2, no matter how well for HD, is at a disadvantage too great to justify a new manufacturing line.

My concern is that Roku may want to hide the remains of the HD1000 as it is a dead product in the support groups. If you decide to purge these groups, we would appreciate notice so that we can pull the most useful postings - info on the third party sw, steps on the DIY power supply replacements - and put them on an alternate web server. I think 30 days would be adequete to determine a home (I'd offer, or look towards Yahoo Groups) and to migrate users and information.

Jason O'Rourke

You expect him to leave the fortress of solitude for this?

aceface

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:39 pm

SOLD!! ROKU rev.A w/swap card w/rewired PSU
XBOX360
SONY 3000ES Digital Receiver
SONY 37" Plasma
Ethernet & Wi-Fi Network
Verizon FiOs
WIN XP & MAC OS X
Buffalo Technologies Link Station server

dgburns

Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:46 pm

aceface wrote:

This still worries me about the pixelmagic box...
"* Some high bitrate HD video files may not play smoothly across the network."
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

orzz

Re: An Open Letter to Members of the PhotoBridge Forum

Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:05 am

I'm sorry, but after a year plus of complete bs and complete lack of customer support, we are suppose to say 'oh, that's ok ROKU?!'. Mr. Wood and the entire company repeatedly lied to this community.

During the production of the HD1000 it became apparent that our contract manufacturer had problems.

At least you now admit that your contract manufacturer put out inferior quality product (can you say power supply?).

In order to set your expectations correctly, please do not assume our new models are an “HD2000”. Instead, we have identified key markets that were buying PhotoBridge, for specialized uses in some cases, and are creating products targeted at those specific markets.

I don't know how you can identify key markets (doesn't that require manpower and brainpower? your marketing ideas must be behind at least 2-3 years on video media) but it sounds like you are getting out of the consumer products market, as you probably should.

I know I’ll get plenty of responses from the faithful telling me it wasn’t ROKU’s fault, but the truth is; IT WAS ROKU’s FAULT.

It’s a shame that you alienated so many high-tech consumers with your shoddy service. I for one will never by a soundbridge, or anything that Mr. ‘snake oil’ Wood is selling.

All I can do is complain to the CT department of consumer protection, BBB, and others, about the power supply problems and broken promises. If enough of us complain, maybe we could get some financial relief from the inevitable ps breakdown.

Please don’t bother to flame me (I am sure this will be deleted whenever some one from ROKU actually reads it) – I have moved on from this forum. Good bye, and good luck finding a media player that will actually perform as advertised!

[A disgruntled owner of a fried HD1500 Rev:B paper weight ]

halfsheep

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:02 pm

I appreciate the information and the post. Thank you.

The information is obviously, purposely, extremely vague though. e.g. "That said, it is likely that the first product from this development effort will launch in late summer. In order to set your expectations correctly, please do not assume our new models are an “HD2000”. Instead, we have identified key markets that were buying PhotoBridge, for specialized uses in some cases, and are creating products targeted at those specific markets." -

I completely understand and appreciate the desire to not make promises that may not be kept, however, can you give ANY more information as to what the future product(s) may entail. I don't really know what "do not assume our new models are an "HD2000" means and I'm not sure what I should assume instead.

Can you tell us (without making promises) ANYTHING more about what you expect the next product will and/or may possibly do? Or who it might be suitable for?

I really like the Roku products, and the 3rd party apps especially. Having been without my PB for nearly a year though, I'm really itching to replace it. I've waited and waited and I just need a clue if maybe it might be worth waiting a little longer. Honestly, I was within an eyelash of ordering a competitor replacement product today. But I thought about how I'd hate to see a new ROKU come out soon, which I'd likely prefer.

I really have no clue what you might come out with though so if you could provide any more detail, I'd really appreciate it. It may be just enough to tell me to hold out a little longer.

I'm not trying to back you into a corner, I'm actually trying to be loyal to the product line but it's kind of tough. I'm hoping you can provide a little more information perhaps with qualifications. I'd be happy with a "no promises, this may not happen but...we think it may..." type of statement.

Again, thanks for the post and in advance for any additional information.

dj7675

Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:50 pm

halfsheep wrote:
I appreciate the information and the post. Thank you.

The information is obviously, purposely, extremely vague though. e.g. "That said, it is likely that the first product from this development effort will launch in late summer. In order to set your expectations correctly, please do not assume our new models are an “HD2000”. Instead, we have identified key markets that were buying PhotoBridge, for specialized uses in some cases, and are creating products targeted at those specific markets." -

I completely understand and appreciate the desire to not make promises that may not be kept, however, can you give ANY more information as to what the future product(s) may entail. I don't really know what "do not assume our new models are an "HD2000" means and I'm not sure what I should assume instead.

Can you tell us (without making promises) ANYTHING more about what you expect the next product will and/or may possibly do? Or who it might be suitable for?

I really like the Roku products, and the 3rd party apps especially. Having been without my PB for nearly a year though, I'm really itching to replace it. I've waited and waited and I just need a clue if maybe it might be worth waiting a little longer. Honestly, I was within an eyelash of ordering a competitor replacement product today. But I thought about how I'd hate to see a new ROKU come out soon, which I'd likely prefer.

I really have no clue what you might come out with though so if you could provide any more detail, I'd really appreciate it. It may be just enough to tell me to hold out a little longer.

I'm not trying to back you into a corner, I'm actually trying to be loyal to the product line but it's kind of tough. I'm hoping you can provide a little more information perhaps with qualifications. I'd be happy with a "no promises, this may not happen but...we think it may..." type of statement.

Again, thanks for the post and in advance for any additional information.

Add a "me too" to the above questions. In particular the commens of "late summer". Is that this year? As it is already August, that would be very soon. A clarification of this would be very helpful. Right now I am extremely happy with my PB's (I have 3) but would like to know when the new PB model(s) are expected to come out. This summer or are you referring to 2007 summer?

Thanks

Darin

Toots Mutant

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:14 am

I assume they left the year off "late summer" so that their delivery estimates will be no more innaccurate than in the past.

jr1414

Early adopter support

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:59 am

Dear Roku Anthony (and any and all members of the Roku team that care),

I want it to be clearly stated that many of the members here, both developers and non-developers, only purchased your product with a promise of support to the early adopters and a continuing upgrade path. Is there any plans for us, the early adopters who have invested in your product and financed your research and development toward this new product, to upgrade to new hardware when it's available? Some sort of trade-in program perhaps?

Also, for the current developers, is it possible to get an early spec and SDK to them so they can see if their applications will be translatable to the new architecture?

After supporting the company and the product, I think it is only right that the early adopters are duly recognized and compinsated if they choose to continue with Roku and their product development.

Personally, I'm waiting for a more complete version of a HD network media player to evolve before investing any more money and time.

Sincerely,

JR1414

gpetrosian2

Appologies are not enough.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:40 am

I paid a lot of money- $399 plus tax for your product and I personally expect that you take care of the problems with your products first before jumping to another development. It is obvious that the units have faulty power supplies and need to be recalled and replaced for free! They are running very hot and brake very quickly (TWO in year and a half), and might be a reason for a fire. My unit is placed in a very well ventilated area and there is absolutely no reason for the PS to brake this often. Paying $75 you are asking to repair it again is throwing the good money after bad. If you want to keep your customer base you should do the right thing: Take care of your customers!

morganza

An Open Letter to Members of the PhotoBridge Forum

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:52 pm

I too have had numorous problems with the HD1000 but I have had great support which came directly from the CEO. When my original HD1000 rev A had crashing issues, I posted the problem looking for suggestions and in addition I posted a message to "RokuAnthony" describing my problem. I fully expected the message to be ignored, certain the the CEO of the company would be too busy to assist me. Anthony proceeded to facilitate the replacement of my unit (they also included two very cool Roku T-shirts). I have never recieved this kind of support from larger companies.

This is a small, inovative company. And like many small companies they are tight on resources. The production guys are the development guys. And you can only work a person so many hours a day. For the folks who have spent time on third party applications... they knew the risk. I'm just happy that Ruko has an open architecture that supports third party development.

My replacement unit was Rev B which was far better than the Rev A unit. Although the product has improved, after 17 months, my unit recently stopped working. No power. Not sure if it is the well documented PSU problem or something else. The unit is out of warrenty at this point but I have posted a message to RokuAnthony asking what support options are for available for an out of warrenty unit. Typically out of warrenty electronics that stop working go directly to the trash can. But based on my past experience with Roku support, I would not be surpriced if I am provided some other options.

vs

Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:38 pm

Well, that explains it.... we were the Australian importer and distributor for Roku's products before being unceremoniously dumped in March 05 (basically they got greedy).

Actually I'm thrilled about it now, as we took on Slim Devices shortly after and literally have the Australian and New Zealand markets sewn up for network music players - nothing even comes close to the Squeezebox :-)

Needless to say, Roku's products just don't sell here very well anymore.

Anyway, my point is, we sent sent back 3 HD1000s in October 05 (all failed within 4 months of each other and in warranty) - I'm still waiting for them to be replaced, which clearly, now will never happen. So, basically they have ripped us off.

No only did you let us down, Roku, our customers were also very peeved.
Really unhappy :-(

Now we have taken on the Pixel Magic HD mediabox to fill the gap. Not perfect yet but definitely showing huge promise, and much better supported than HD1000.

Thanks for nothing Roku.....

sansp00

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:26 am

No to be pro-Roku, but have you been on the Pixel Magic forum ? I have been roaming around and that box is much further behind 'development' wise than the HD1000. The thing is simply not ready for prime time, even if it does show a lot of promise. Support and fixes seems to be lacking, it looks like they are heading in the same direction than with the HD1000 ...

Anyway, I was thinking of getting it, but once I read the forum, I simply decided to wait and see and I think it was the best decision.
My 2 cents.
Roku HD1000 (revived!), R1000 x2, M1001 x2
Linksys NSLU2 with Firefly
Netgear WGR614,JGS516,GS608,GS605 x3

rhubarbe

Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:31 am

Well, that's a blow and no mistake. I came here after testing a Pixel Magic HD Mediabox MB200. I should give it a year if I were you: I sent mine back.

Sold my Transgear DVX500, sold my Zensonic Z500.....

Are any of these devices any good?

I was thinking of taking a punt at a PB HD1000 if I could find one cheap enough on eBay but now I read that it won't play MPEG2 Program Stream files, and I rather think that my new Panasonic SDR-S150 camcorder that records MPEG2 video to SD cards is going to be PS rather than TS.

Everything else was looking so promising too. :(