Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:46 am

rhubarbe wrote:
but now I read that it won't play MPEG2 Program Stream files

Where did you read that? The 2.0 firmware has had support for Program Streams since the first beta loooooooooong ago. I watch DVDs (which are program streams) on my PhotoBridge on nearly a daily basis without incident.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

rhubarbe

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:18 am

I read it in the manual. :???: OK that manual was probably for an older FW 1.5.1?

I'll tell you what I want it for, because I am getting a bit bored of looking for a decent NMP now and this one (HD1000) looks like it does just about everything I want.

I have 396GB of video files (I have both MPEG2 TS and also MPEG2 PS versions of the same files, mainly films recorded from TV - PAL because we're in the UK, and I have both versions because my awful Zensonic Z500 wouldn't play .TS files at all).

I want to burn DVDs to ISO and play them.

I want to be able to play MPEG2 PS video clips produced by my camcorder, which saves MPEG2 Video to Secure Digital cards (OK, I know that the CF reads at IDE speed and the SD slot at USB 1.1 so I'll buy a converter).

I want to be able to play all of these files which will be stored on a Synology DS-101j NAS on a wired network - I don't want to leave a power hungry PC switched on.

I want my wife to be able to pull the Memory Stick out of her camera and play slideshows on the HD1000.

If anyone can help me to determine that the HD100 will do all of this I'll scour eBay until I find one. :)

EDIT: Happy Anniversary, BTW. :D

TheEndless

Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:17 am

rhubarbe wrote:
I read it in the manual. :???: OK that manual was probably for an older FW 1.5.1?

I'll tell you what I want it for, because I am getting a bit bored of looking for a decent NMP now and this one (HD1000) looks like it does just about everything I want.

I have 396GB of video files (I have both MPEG2 TS and also MPEG2 PS versions of the same files, mainly films recorded from TV - PAL because we're in the UK, and I have both versions because my awful Zensonic Z500 wouldn't play .TS files at all).

I want to be able to play MPEG2 PS video clips produced by my camcorder, which saves MPEG2 Video to Secure Digital cards (OK, I know that the CF reads at IDE speed and the SD slot at USB 1.1 so I'll buy a converter).

I want to be able to play all of these files which will be stored on a Synology DS-101j NAS on a wired network - I don't want to leave a power hungry PC switched on.

I want my wife to be able to pull the Memory Stick out of her camera and play slideshows on the HD1000.

If anyone can help me to determine that the HD100 will do all of this I'll scour eBay until I find one. :)

Others may have input on the SD playback and memory stick compatibility, but everything else should be possible with the 2.0 firmware and third party applications like MPlay (see my signature). As far as DVD playback is concerned, there is no menu support, but playback of the video and/or special features is possible with MPlay in both ISO format and standard hard drive rip.

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

rhubarbe

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:20 pm

I must say I really do like the look of the MPlay application very much. :D A question or two if I may?

Will MPlay run from a shared public folder on a NAS?

The HD 1000 doesn't use the awful Sigma designs chipset, does it? :pray:

Thanks very much.

TheEndless

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:14 pm

rhubarbe wrote:
Will MPlay run from a shared public folder on a NAS?

Yup.. as long as the Roku can see the share, it should be able to run the application.

rhubarbe wrote:
The HD 1000 doesn't use the awful Sigma designs chipset, does it? :pray:

Nope. The HD1000 is based on the ATI Xilleon x225 processor.

TheEndless

rhubarbe

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:36 pm

So the only stumbling block I now have is to find one for sale. !!

Any ideas?

Couple on eBay but only for sale for delivery in USA.

TheEndless

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:52 pm

rhubarbe wrote:
So the only stumbling block I now have is to find one for sale. !!

Any ideas?

Couple on eBay but only for sale for delivery in USA.

eBay is probably your best bet. There have been a number of people on these forums selling theirs lately. I'm sure there will be more. If you are going to get one, you'll be happier with a Rev B, because it has twice the memory. A Rev A would work just as well with a swap file, but you'd have to give up your CF slot for that.

TheEndless

rhubarbe

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:05 pm

I'm trying to get one of the US ones on eBay to agree to sell to me in the UK, but if past experience is anything to go by, and I have to talk them into logging on to USPS to see how much it'll cost to deliver, it's going to be a toughie.

Anyway, thanks for all your help, and let's hope I can find one. :D

mwahal

Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:39 pm

rhubarbe wrote:

Take a look at IOData Avel LinkPlayer II. I think its obsolete now, but it does everything what you are asking. Check AVSForum threads about IOData LinkPlayer II. But stick with June 2005 firmware. Dont go above that.

EDIT: If the NAS can run a uPnP server, then LP2 will play everything. Otherwise, it can't do file sharing stuff.

rhubarbe

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:22 am

That LinkPlayer isn't available in the UK. I can import one from Digital Connection but it costs me an arm and a leg in shipping and taxes (more than the original cost of the player), and when I last looked at it I concluded that it doesn't do PAL.

If we're going to be using uPnP, then there are any number of Sigma based players that I could use to stream from a NAS running Twonky, or similar, but having had four of them now I really REALLY don't want another Sigma based player.

Hence I landed here.

I'd rather buy a Mac Mini than another Sigma player.

dgburns

Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:09 am

rhubarbe wrote:
when I last looked at it I concluded that it doesn't do PAL.

From the reports in these forums, the Roku's not so good at PAL either. Dunoo myself, since I don't have a PAL TV to try it out on.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

rhubarbe

Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:18 am

Hmm. I just bought a modded XBox running XBMC, so I'll use that until something better comes along.

Come on Roku. None of those cr*ppy Sigma Chips, mind. :eek:

rhubarbe

I got one! I got one!

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:46 pm

Just as an update and to say thank for the help. I got a RevB on eBay in the UK for $270. Not bad, eh?

Just out of interest, are they output switchable NTSC/PAL, because my LCD autosenses and has no trouble with NTSC output?

dgburns

Re: I got one! I got one!

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:58 pm

rhubarbe wrote:
Just as an update and to say thank for the help. I got a RevB on eBay in the UK for $270. Not bad, eh?

Just out of interest, are they output switchable NTSC/PAL, because my LCD autosenses and has no trouble with NTSC output?

There are both NTSC and PAL output modes selectable. The manual outlines the procedure for how to select. The factory default is 480i NTSC.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

rhubarbe

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:20 pm

In that case, do you think I might be better off using NTSC as my output?