Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

skoolpsyk
Topic Author

Class action suit against Roku?!

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:21 pm

Considering they have admitted to knowing they have been selling a faulty product, is there any legal recourse we may have?!

DaMutha

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:05 pm

No, that's what a warranty is for.

skoolpsyk
Topic Author

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:12 am

I don't know. I have a Toshiba dvd player and I got this thing in the mail saying due to a suit, I could buy another player and have part of the money reimbursed. It was something about not playing dvd+r or something like that. And that player certainly had a warrenty.
Maybe if anyone knew some lawyers, we could at least file something and get them to settle with us!
Can you tell I'm pissed?

rnugent

Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:28 pm

Why sue a small company with no money or assets? And then give the $10 bucks you win 5 years from now to lawyers... :shock:

Zanoryt

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:45 pm

I'm not sure a class action suit would be a nice maneuver. Really, the product has mostly delivered on what it was advertised to do, and it's difficult for a company to make promises on years of firmware updates, considering that the product was never a huge hit to begin with. I mean, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but they're not really in any legal grey areas, because the product works as it is suppose to. If your unit isn't working as it is suppose to, I'd suggest RMA'ing it. They're really nice about doing that. I had a faulty unit from one of the beginning runs, and they replaced it a few months ago.

This doesn't mean I don't have complaints about the device, and I'm certainly a little disappointed that they aren't focusing on the potential of it too. But do keep in mind that class action suits simply prevent giants from stepping on everyone forever, and only fill lawyers pockets with money. Roku is far from a giant stepping on everyone, and they're really quite kind to even try continue supporting a product that they're not making any money on. (Yes yes, they said they would, so they should stand by it, but they're probably not legally bound to introducing new features in firmware at all).

I think the best thing for them at this point would be to consider opening up the firmware a bit, and letting us hack it up. It might even be a chance for them to sell all those refurbs they have piled up at their office.

And further, I don't see why all the people who are currently coding third-party roku apps don't join up together and create some wicked apps and games. Think, high-def internet texas holdem!

-Kevin

dgburns

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:47 am

Zanoryt wrote:
I'm not sure a class action suit would be a nice maneuver.

I don't think that's the point of people wanting to pursue a class action. It's the deficiency of the power supply and Roku not offering any sort of viable solution to the problem. If you RMA a dead Roku, you pay them money and get a unit back that's got just as bad a power supply as the first time around.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

ttubbiola

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:37 pm

I HATE lawyers and lawsuits but this is the first time I would even consider forcing a company to do what's right by suing.

No, I guess not. I still hate Lawyers more than I hate Roku.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
“The bitterness of low quality lingers long after
the sweetness of low price has passed.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hutch

Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:27 pm

ttubbiola wrote:
I HATE lawyers and lawsuits but this is the first time I would even consider forcing a company to do what's right by suing.

No, I guess not. I still hate Lawyers more than I hate Roku.

I'll second that! My HD1000 RevB died, I tried to replace the power supply - no luck.... but lawyers are truly evil!!!

With that - goodbye roku community... hope Roku produces a comprable product to the HD1000 someday. I'd give it a shot - the HD1000 by far was/is the best option out there for the money.

Hutch