Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

gruberted
Topic Author

Radio Roku Down?

Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:43 pm

Anybody else.

The SQL on their website is down as well.

RedPete

Again?!

Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:52 pm

Same here (US).

dbgarlikov

Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:54 pm

I get the error message: "Error connecting to mysql" from radioroku.com. My Soundbridge does not see any stations, other than my presets.
DBGarlikov

gruberted
Topic Author

Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:57 pm

Yep I don't have any presets and I just browse the stations and I get the same problem (US)

farkle_30

Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:13 pm

I put my sound bridge in a nice case made from a philco radio and was going to show it off to my wife and this happened. She never quite understood what it was anyway and this doesn't help. I hope they fix the issue soon.

Roku_alo

Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:31 am

Same problem here from Denmark. Just the good old presets, but they normally fix it quickly.

ikink

Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:34 am

I can only get the so called presets. Any other list I can't get. Almost every week the same problem. What is causing this problem. In this way you can hardly recommend the Roku Internet Radio to other people. So solve this problem.

Burkhardi

Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:03 am

Do y'all know that when the Soundbridge first went live, it had no Internet Radio built in? It was not until firmware V2.1 I think when the Soundbridge could use iRadio with out running a server on your PC (I think it was slimserver based).

So basicaly, the Soundbridge was just a plan DAR (digital audio receiver) that supported UPnP, that's it...

After 2.1 the unit could do iRadio on it's own.

You still have your 18 presets that can be edited to what ever you want. It's a trade off, would you like a system that requires your PC to be on 24/7 to get internet radio (to run Slimserver)? How many of the 11,000 stations does each user really use? I don't use more then 12 I think. So even when RadioRoku is down, I stilll have all my stations. Sure if a friend comes over and wants to jam to something else, then we can't search the data base, but for the short while that RadioRoku is down, if it's that important, I can pull the URL from a website and paste it to one of my presets and play said station. A little more work, sure, but it can be done. We should all do our selves a favor an mirror our favorite stations on our 18 presets so when this happens, it not a real show stopper.

here is a link to the Snooper software incase you want to snag your own URL's in the future, I think it may even hold your hand and set it as a preset too...
http://www.roku.com/support_sb_dwnld_radiosnoop.php

Run it in Softsqueeze mode and see what you think...

I have been using the Soundbridge for a while and have seen it mature to were it is now. The RadioRoku server is much more robust then it was at first. This would happen weekly back when 3.0 first went live. Now it does not happen very often at all.

Long story short, be patient, it will improve.

Just my useless opinion, your milage may vary and I am not a doctor nor have I played one on TV, but have stayed at a holiday express serveral times, Matt

EDIT: Here is a link to an old review incase you may think I am on crack about the no native iRadio supprt.
http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review ... 500-review
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

hubcapps

RadioRoku down

Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:37 am

This has been down since last night, so at least 12 hours now. Can someone please page the DBA? Is there a shortage of MySQL skills in the Bay Area?

Martlet

HEY ROKU! HOW ABOUT A STATUS UPDATE?

Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:39 am

At least 14 hours now that Radioroku has been down, and not a peep on the boards from anyone at Roku? How much effort would it take to pop on here and at least put up a status message?

I suspect Roku is circling the drain as a company.

But TAKE NOTE that as mentioned elsewhere, even if RR does go down permanently, your Roku SB does have its presets and will still play internet radio stations.

Burkhardi

Re: RadioRoku down

Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:19 am

hubcapps wrote:
This has been down since last night, so at least 12 hours now. Can someone please page the DBA? Is there a shortage of MySQL skills in the Bay Area?

It could be worse, Roku could be cluttering up the RadioRoku site with pop-ups and advertismetns and/or charging us a monthly fee to use/access the site (they could restrict MAC address'). This would perhaps ensure a full time IT person to support said site, but they are not and I for one am happy that they are running the site free of charge and w/o ads and pop-ups.

Just thinking out loud, I know it does not help getting the site back up any quicker or make this any less of a pain in the rump for the users.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

Roku_alo

Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:14 am

It would be nice if RadioRoku had a backup server to take care of the basics.

It could have a top 1000 favorite list (most used stations) for users to surf, while the big system was down. But no other services.

This would cover most users, while they were working on getting systems up again.

Edit:
By the way... This forum server is working fine, so it could be a nice place for the Favorite back up list. :)
Last edited by Roku_alo on Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burkhardi

Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:37 am

Roku_alo wrote:
It would be nice if RadioRoku had a backup server to take care of the basics.

It could have a top 1000 favorite list (most used stations) for users to surf, while the big system was down. But no other services.

This would cover most users, while they were working on getting systems up again.

It's an idea!

I also wish that there was something in the firmware that when it failed (when you get the "<0> out of 10 Fav.." that there would be a blurb in the dispaly below it saying to check the your firewall/TCP-IP settings and.or log into RadioRoku to see if it's up and that you can fall back on your favorites. This woudl help the people that don't ever use the forums too.

RokuLyndon

Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:05 pm

We are investigating the problem. There was a possible harware failure.

KlaasV

Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:53 pm

It's alive. And it can talk. Let us praise the Lord!

Regards
KlaasV