Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dupondt
Topic Author

How To Keep Internet Radio Playing If Radio Roku Is Down

Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:01 am

Hi everybody,

service outages are always very annoying, but as no system is absolutely perfect, they unfortunately do happen from time to time. You can, however, take some measures to limit the "damage" in case Radio Roku or another Roku server goes offline. Here are some recommendations.

1) Use the presets

The SoundBridge's 18 presets are not depending on Radio Roku, provided you fill them via the device's web interface and don't use Radio Roku to store the audio URLs in the SoundBridge's memory. Simply open the page http://IP.of.your.SoundBridge/SoundBridgePresets.html with your browser. Then type or paste the audio URLs of the stations you want to store into the input fields of your choice. When you're done, click on the button Update Presets which you will find in the bottom right corner of the page.

2) Disable Data Upload

If Data Upload is enabled and Radio Roku is down, it may take a considerable amount of time for a preset station to start playing. This is due to the fact that the SoundBridge will try to upload information about this action and/or statistical data to a Roku server. This delay can be avoided by disabling Data Upload. To do that go to Change Library or Configuration -> System Configuration -> Data Upload and select "Disable".

3) Don't store "vital" stations as Favourites

The so-called Favourites are not stored on the SoundBridge, but on the Radio Roku server, thus if the service is down they are not available. Stations you consider to be "vital" for your well-being should therefore always be stored in the presets, not as Favourites.

4) Use an alternate time server

On the configuration page of the SoundBridge's web interface (http://IP.of.your.SoundBridge/SoundBridgeConfig.html) you can tell the device to use an alternate time server (a good choice, for example, would be pool.ntp.org). If you do that your SoundBridge won't be affected if Roku's time server is down.

Greetings and happy listening!
dupondt
(Radio Roku Moderator)
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

Burkhardi

Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:29 am

Great info Dupondt, I think this sticky will be very helpful to people!

Like you said, don't store vital stations as favorites, if you store those as presets you can always get them.

I think some people think Favorites and presets are the same and they are not. Or they sue the term interchangeably too which is confusing.

A great bonus to have them as presets also (not favorites) is if you have a programable remote (e.g. Harmony 880), then with one simple button press, the Soundbridge can turn on and go right to said station.

When my Soundbridge is off, I can walk up to the remote and press "1" and all my itself the unit turns on, and goes to .977 80's

If it's off and I press "4" it turns on all my itself and will start to play Radio Paradise.

Regards, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

PodcastBunker

Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:44 pm

There is no reason in the world to have a piece of hardware that you pay $200.00 for have half of its functionality to depend on a cheap ass web host like lunarpages to function properly.

If I had known this last week I would not have purchased this product. When your lunarpages RadioRoku site is down, it really makes your main web site guilty of false advertising about the product. Because you can't choose from 1,000's of internet radio stations. From the main Roku web site......
"Listen to 1000's of FREE Internet radio stations from around the world - one-touch access to talk, jazz, rock, pop or your old home town favorite! You do not need a computer to listen to internet radio; you just need broadband and a Wi-Fi home network."

Well right now I can only listen to 18 without a real hassle. And I need a computer to find more than 18. Cause I have to search for links paste them in the whooping 18 presets and hope they work.

And when a hardware product depends on a web site to function properly. Don't you think that you should have multiple backups of that web site and at least have it back up and running on the same day if went down.

Roku should be embarrassed as a company to sell a product and not be able to either give the user total control of the product that they paid for. Or run a stable server on a stable host to support the product that you sold the customer. I sure wish I could get my money back at this point. I feel like a paid for a product that half of it sorta works some of the time.

Next time, I'll get a Tivoli audio Net Works. At least I'll know it works as advertised. Signed one very frustrated less that a week old buyer of a Roku Soundbidge. I just wish I had read some honest reviews.
http://www.podcastbunker.com we only list the very best podcasts

Burkhardi

Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:13 pm

PodcastBunker wrote:
There is no reason in the world to have a piece of hardware that you pay $200.00 for have half of its functionality to depend on a cheap ass web host like lunarpages to function properly.

If I had known this last week I would not have purchased this product. When your lunarpages RadioRoku site is down, it really makes your main web site guilty of false advertising about the product. Because you can't choose from 1,000's of internet radio stations. From the main Roku web site......
"Listen to 1000's of FREE Internet radio stations from around the world - one-touch access to talk, jazz, rock, pop or your old home town favorite! You do not need a computer to listen to internet radio; you just need broadband and a Wi-Fi home network."

Well right now I can only listen to 18 without a real hassle. And I need a computer to find more than 18. Cause I have to search for links paste them in the whooping 18 presets and hope they work.

And when a hardware product depends on a web site to function properly. Don't you think that you should have multiple backups of that web site and at least have it back up and running on the same day if went down.

Roku should be embarrassed as a company to sell a product and not be able to either give the user total control of the product that they paid for. Or run a stable server on a stable host to support the product that you sold the customer. I sure wish I could get my money back at this point. I feel like a paid for a product that half of it sorta works some of the time.

Next time, I'll get a Tivoli audio Net Works. At least I'll know it works as advertised. Signed one very frustrated less that a week old buyer of a Roku Soundbidge. I just wish I had read some honest reviews.

It's very, very clear with numerous posts you have made in the past day about the same issue, that you are not a happy camper. This was meant to be a helpful thread I think, not a beef session.

You said you just bought the Soundbridge last week, well then your in luck.

You have 30 days to return it.

So pack it up and send it back to Roku for a refund and then you can go to plan B.

Sorry this has been a pain for you and a disapointment, but at least you have a way out now and can get that Tivoli you want.

Regards, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

Wondercow

Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:49 pm

PodcastBunker wrote:
. . . it really makes your main web site guilty of false advertising about the product. Because you can't choose from 1,000's of internet radio stations. From the main Roku web site......

If that's false advertising then your electric company is guilty of same when there's a blackout, your phone, cable, or satellite company is guilty when their service goes dark, your car company when your vehicle is in the shop, a store when they run out of advertised product, any company when any product is defective or breaks, et cetera

Of course, as you yourself point out:
Well right now I can only listen to 18 without a real hassle.

You still have access to internet radio.

You don't have total control of the computer system you're running, nor the TV system you're using. I'd imagine that you also lack total control over your home.

If you purchased your unit directly from Roku you have thirty days to return it.

Next time, I'll get a Tivoli audio Net Works. At least I'll know it works as advertised.

Maybe it won't. You could get a bum unit, or you may have to wait for your desired station. In fact, it may not even be available: internet radio is restricted to stations approved by Tivoli. If you want to listen to a "new" station you have to send it to Tivoli and hope it gets approved; without their approval you cannot listen to a station. You also need to wait for it to be approved and then perform a (seeming simple) firmware update. And if you like AM radio (which, admittedly, you may not) then the NetWorks just won't do.
~Moo!
-----------------------
iTunes, iPod, iMac, iPhone, not Itunes, IPod, IMAC, iphone
MAC = Media Access Control while Mac = a brand of computers

somerled

Data Upload disabling not working?

Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:04 am

I tried to implement dupondt's useful suggestions but cannot get the disabling of Data Upload to 'take'. My Soundbridge displays a message claiming that Data Upload is disabled, but if I then go back to Change Library or Configuration>System Configuration>Data Upload another time it still indicates Data Upload is still enabled. My presets therefore normally stay in an infinite loop retrying connection. Any suggestions?

dupondt
Topic Author

Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:18 am

Hi somerled,

welcome to the forums.

Although it may be puzzling, this is the normal behaviour. If you see the message saying that Data Upload has been disabled, it has been disabled. The choice that is displayed if you go to this setting again does not reflect the actual status.

The "Re-Trying" message tells you that (for whatever reason) the station is unreachable. It's not related to the Data Upload.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

somerled

Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:52 pm

Thanks for the response. Do you have any further insight into why a station receivable on my PC (or via favorite when RokuRadio is working) should be unavailable via a preset on my Soundbridge?

somerled

Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:02 pm

RadioRoku is now working again. My experience is still that all stations that I play via Favorite go into an endless "Retrying" loop when I attempt to connect to the identical URL via a Preset. I would really like to find a way to insulate myself against problems with the RadioRoku server but I do not see how this can be achieved.

pbannette

Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:36 am

Hello,
I have this suggestion for Roku: have the capability of manually or automatically save favorites on a memory card that can be used if the server goes down. I think some kind of backup plan is necessary. Another way is to have the local Roku server contain the favorites that the Roku Radio would look for if the main site is unavailable.
Bob

Burkhardi

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:51 am

11/02/08
Wanted to bring this to the new posts since RadioRoku is down to save some people some steps...
Good FAQ's...

alanmc

Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:40 am

For those of you registered SoundBridge Internet Radio fans who would really like to find a way to insulate your devices against problems with the Radio Roku Server, the software mentioned here http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=18219 solves this issue for you, as your Favorites are then stored on your PC. It also can backup or update your presets in an advanced reliable manner.

I've extensively tested this for over 3 weeks and IMHO I would back this 1001% as the solution you need. It worked magnificently for me during the last two server-failures.

LATEST UPDATE 7th December 2008 :

And following the release today of "FlexbridgeRadio" Silver & Gold Editions (visit http://www.flexbridgeradio.com/) you can be secure in the knowledge that you can now save both your Presets & Favourites locally to your PC to play even if the Radio Roku server is down :D

Alanmc
Radio Roku Moderator