Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

FrankB
Topic Author

The queue is clear - please submit any updates or new

Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi,

The outstanding RadioRoku queue is now clear. All existing stations in the queue are either geo-locked or text other than English (sorry - I'm monolingual).

If an existing station is not working for you, please submit an update. If you've been waiting to add new stations, go ahead.

thanks,
Frank

StarTechRadio

Re: The queue is clear - please submit any updates or new

Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:09 am

FrankB wrote:
The outstanding RadioRoku queue is now clear. All existing stations in the queue are either geo-locked or text other than English (sorry - I'm monolingual)

Since when has the "WorldWide" policy changed? Our Rokus have been sold in countries that are outside the borders of the USA.
Stations for those users who live there and who submit in Chinese or Russian have always since RR was launched been accepted by the moderators (if they actually played on the Soundbridge).

FrankB
Topic Author

Re: The queue is clear - please submit any updates or new

Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:26 am

Hi,

I wasn't stating a policy change, only what I'm capable of. In fact I approved many non English stations, but several had only non English letters in the description, name, etc that I had no idea how to approach. My option is to approve blindly but that didn't seem the best idea.

Frank

StarTechRadio wrote:
FrankB wrote:
The outstanding RadioRoku queue is now clear. All existing stations in the queue are either geo-locked or text other than English (sorry - I'm monolingual)

Since when has the "WorldWide" policy changed? Our Rokus have been sold in countries that are outside the borders of the USA.
Stations for those users who live there and who submit in Chinese or Russian have always since RR was launched been accepted by the moderators (if they actually played on the Soundbridge).

StarTechRadio

Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:00 pm

Hello again Frank,

After reading your reply I have just checked on what I stated earlier, as I wanted to be absolutely sure that what I had written was completely factual.

And it would seem that other moderators have accepted the fact that it has been acceptable for foreign users to have submitted stations in the style of their own language - and this is particularly true for Chinese stations where I note that moderators named RokuTed and dupondt have historically approved stations that they probably could not decipher.

I have friends in both Hong Kong and Leningrad who have Soundbridge radios who would be very upset if your views were to become new policy.

Regards, Pete

FrankB
Topic Author

Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:29 am

How would streams ever be updated? I have to be able to read the information before I update a stream, linking the new submission to the existing entry.

Maybe some of your friends could volunteer?

Frank

StarTechRadio

Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:02 pm

What an answer - :lol: . :lol: . :lol:

I never discussed anything about situations of streams being updated. Seems to me that you are looking to change a long established policy of Roku Radio, if I were in your place I'd certainly wonder how previous moderators managed to approve such stations, as they got to 13,000 stations without pissing off those Roku users in Russia and China who don't speak your language. You obviously can't be bothered with such people.

S80_UK

Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:15 am

FrankB wrote:
How would streams ever be updated? I have to be able to read the information before I update a stream, linking the new submission to the existing entry.

Why do you need to read it...? If it is in Chinese (as an example) and if the stream plays, why not take it on trust that it is correct and then just copy and paste. If it turns out to be inappropriate after the data is visible to the users, I am sure that others would advise you accordingly.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

jdc1947

Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:49 am

FrankB wrote:
How would streams ever be updated? I have to be able to read the information before I update a stream, linking the new submission to the existing entry

If it's a new submission written in the fonts of China or Russia so "they" can understand it, just where is the problem for you?
This new policy is absolute Bollocks.
The world exists outside the borders of the USA, and such users who have become Roku customers deserve to be treated equally with those of us who can speak and write in "your" language :evil:

FrankB
Topic Author

Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:35 am

Hi all,

Let me define a few things for you.

Policy: something I have nothing to do with. I'm not setting any policies for Radio Roku. Any moderator can approve the stations I didn't. The moderators mentioned in this thread previously for example.

Volunteer: that's me. I do this because I like my Rokus. No other benefit.

I was hoping this would be good news in that stations were getting approved and updated but apparently things are worse. That's easy to fix. I can stop doing what I'm doing and leave things the way they were.

Or all people who feel like they can improve on my work can step up and moderate as they see fit.

BTW: new versus updated streams are the same in the approval queue, you can't tell the difference.

Have fun,
Frank

youngml

Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:16 pm

FrankB,

Thank you for your efforts in updating the database. While I certainly understand the decision of prior moderators not to continue updating stations because of how they were treated by Roku, I for one appreciate your work.

youngml

cchartra

Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:11 am

Thanks a lot FrankB.

I know that this takes some time to do database moderation and I'm pleased to see that the great job from former moderators is now continued.

gcd0865

Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:46 am

Hi All:

This is directed mostly to the moderators. How do we submit edits for station entries already in Radio Roku where the nature of the edits are not an audio url change or a station name change, but are instead in the nature of:

- new call letters;
- new genre;
- new description; and/or
- the need to add "(32 kbps)" to the end of the existing station name (because an entirely new entry was just submitted for a new 64 kbps feed).

The Radio Roku instructions for edits seem to only apply to audio url changes. So when I go into "Add A Stream" and then enter the identical audio url and station name information, the resulting screen showing the entire station entry information is "Restricted," and so there's no way to submit edits for these other fields, such as putting the appropriate notes requesting the changes in the Description field for the moderators' review. Maybe I'm just missing something here...

Since I have a lot of these to enter, I wanted to have an efficient way of doing this. Thanks in advance...

DerekHelps

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:22 pm

gcd0865 wrote:
Hi All:

This is directed mostly to the moderators. How do we submit edits for station entries already in Radio Roku where the nature of the edits are not an audio url change or a station name change, but are instead in the nature of:

- new call letters;
- new genre;
- new description; and/or
- the need to add "(32 kbps)" to the end of the existing station name (because an entirely new entry was just submitted for a new 64 kbps feed).

The Radio Roku instructions for edits seem to only apply to audio url changes. So when I go into "Add A Stream" and then enter the identical audio url and station name information, the resulting screen showing the entire station entry information is "Restricted," and so there's no way to submit edits for these other fields, such as putting the appropriate notes requesting the changes in the Description field for the moderators' review. Maybe I'm just missing something here...

Since I have a lot of these to enter, I wanted to have an efficient way of doing this. Thanks in advance...

In your Volunteer Tasks section if you have the options of:
"Edit for Style"
or
"All streams"

you can search for the stream you'd like to edit, click on the link and a select "Edit..." and it should take you to a new screen that allows you to edit the stream. you will have to submit it for approval and we should be able to get the changes approved within a few days.

If you do not have these options I can look to see if there are other ways to get to the same pages. Also, the edit pages do offer style guides for description, location and such that changes in the right sidebar based on what section your cursor is in.

If you are talking about a station that is/might be geolocked a parenthetical statement in the description box with information regarding knowledge that the station streams to the soundbridge would be very helpful so that we can guarantee that the station works.

One of the problems we run into is that testing that stations have the right stream can be difficult when the streams get accessed.

Hope that helps,

Derek
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>

jdc1947

Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:36 pm

@ DerekHelps

With immediate effect, please change your username from "DerekHelps" to DerekWritesBollocks :wink:

When was the last time you personally tried to Edit a Live Approved station ?
Unless you are a Moderator, you can't undertake this process.
Never before have I read such patronising waffle from someone who has not tried what he advocates.

The person to whom you are making a response (gcd0865) is most certainly one of the most knowledgeable contributors to Radio Roku, and has probably forgotten more about the topic that you have attempted to address than you will ever learn.

dupondt

Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:01 am

@gcd0865,

I sent you a PM.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot