Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

sirocco
Topic Author

url's in general and change for KUSC classical in LA

Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:03 pm

The address for this popular classical station changed last week. You can find it with some digging at their site http://www.kusc.org, but here it is for the 128 MP3.

http://915.kuscstream.org:8000/kuscaudio128.mp3

I used this for my pre-sets and got going again. Does anyone know the status of addresses out on on the Roku player? There seems a lot of junk out there, in that they don't work. I suspect no one is keeping up to date.

Also, does anyone have a URL for Radio Classique or Radio Classique Baroque. Last I checked the ones off the Roku menu did not work, and the entries in my favorites stopped working as well.

Thanks.

FrankB

Re: url's in general and change for KUSC classical in LA

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:19 am

bregent wrote:
The RadioRoku database is maintained strictly by volunteers and I believe there is only 1 active at this time (Frank B). Roku does not provide them with any automated tools to test and remove bad/incompatible streams so it's a manual process that occurs when forum users post urls that are no longer valid. With the tens of thousands of streams out there, it's an impossible task.

KUSC is updated.

FWIW, I believe there are others active moderating as things do happen beyond what I do. But I don't have details as to how many and in what capacity they might be operating.

I have created my own automated tool to find stations that are referred to as zombie stations. I could extend it to check streams but one step at a time. If anyone is interested in tracking down URLs for streams that are currently blank, let me know how many you would like and I'll send them over to you. Find the URL, use the Add a Stream in the Volunteer Center on Radio Roku and then a moderator can approve the update. You can use the station detail to get the rest of the station information. PM me if you interested.

Frank

dupondt

Re: url's in general and change for KUSC classical in LA

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:58 am

bregent wrote:
The RadioRoku database is maintained strictly by volunteers

That exactly was and still is one of Radio Roku's major disadvantages. Without automated background processes and at least a handful of paid software engineers and database administrators keeping an internet radio portal up-to-date definitely is an impossible task.

The two most successful portals vTuner and Radiotime which also serve as databases for a great variety of internet radio devices both have automated processes and quite a few people working for them full-time. Radiotime even pay their "volunteer" radio content moderators $10 per hour.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot