Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

rtsmitty23
Topic Author

Edit Station Information

Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:02 am

Hello, I am the Director of Technology for a network of stations in IL. One of our station managers asked me to look into changing the info displayed on his Roku when he is streaming the station. I registered to be able to make changes on radioroku.com, but it says changes can only be made by a moderator. How do I become a moderator for at least our stations or submit correct info to a moderator to make the change.

Thanks,

Rick Smith
Director of Technology
New Life Media Network
WBGL . WCIC

FrankB

Re: Edit Station Information

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:59 am

To submit correct info, see the sticky in this forum. How To Submit Updates For Existing Stations

To my knowledge, you cannot be a moderator for a subset of stations.

Frank

dupondt

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:51 am

Hi Rick,

welcome to the forums.

The information shown in the top row of a SoundBridge's display when a station is played is not provided by Radio Roku but by the station's streaming server which usually sends so-called metadata with the audio stream. In case of WBGL and WCIC the metadata consists of the artist's name and the song title divided by a hyphen but without spaces which makes the information a bit difficult to read (at the moment WBGL shows "Chris Tomlin-Waterfall"). The same information is shown on the status page of the shoutcast server.

To change that you'll have to modify the configuration of your server.

The second row of a SoundBridge's display shows the station's name which in my opinion is correct in case of WBGL and WCIC.

As Frank already stated you can't be a moderator for a subset of stations.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

rtsmitty23
Topic Author

Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:16 am

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I see that you pulll the song title/artist info from the Stream itself and we have no issue with that information. What we'd like changed is the station names. We are a network of stations and we dropped the frequency from our names quite a while back. Not all listeners to our stations listen on the same frequency. We'd appreciate it if we could have the station names changed to:

WBGL - Faith, Hope, Family
WCIC - Faith, Hope, Family

We've spend a lot of money building our brand and would appreciate your cooperation in helping us make this change.

Thanks,

Rick Smith
Director of Technology
New Life Media Network
WCIC . WBGL

dupondt

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:14 am

Rick,

unfortunately Radio Roku's naming convention does not allow to make the changes you requested. According to the style guide the names of all stations with call letters have to correspond to the pattern "call letters followed by frequency followed by location".

I have therefore added your moniker ("Faith, Hope, Family") to the stations' descriptiona which is the standard procedure in such cases.

Greetings
dupondt

rtsmitty23
Topic Author

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:07 am

Thanks Again for the reply. How do I appeal that decision or ask for a reevaluation of your naming standards. We are really trying to gear our Internet Radio Streams to be geared toward Internet users. We feel that frequency and city should have no bearing on Internet radio as users do not use the frequency nor have to be in that city to listen. Thanks again for your time and Attention to this matter.

- Rick Smith

dupondt

Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:43 am

Rick,

rtsmitty23 wrote:
How do I appeal that decision or ask for a reevaluation of your naming standards.

You can always contact Roku's customer support, but IMO that's pointless. Like the SoundBridge range of products Radio Roku has practically been EOL since 2009. It's code and database are heavily outdated and Roku staff presumably haven't looked at the site for years.

Greetings
dupondt

FrankB

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:42 am

rtsmitty23 wrote:
Thanks Again for the reply. How do I appeal that decision or ask for a reevaluation of your naming standards. We are really trying to gear our Internet Radio Streams to be geared toward Internet users. We feel that frequency and city should have no bearing on Internet radio as users do not use the frequency nor have to be in that city to listen. Thanks again for your time and Attention to this matter.

Hi Rick,

I consulted with dupondt and have updated the stations as you requested.

Frank

rtsmitty23
Topic Author

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:27 am

Guys,

Thank you so much for making this happen!

-Rick Smith