Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jradi
Topic Author

Sync Across Multiple Rooms and Rokus

Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:17 am

A feature I'm still dying to see is being able to sync rokus across multiple units - streaming and local media.

I keep checking out the slim devices product, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I'd even be willing to buy all new units. I currently own 1 roku, because I can't sync multiple units, and I'm dying for a solution that will work across multiple units.

I particularly like the radio roku website feature, being able to control everything from a single location like a laptop, which is what keeps me from going to other products... :cry:

wideasleep1

Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:14 pm

Due to buffers, I doubt Rokus will ever be able to achieve true sync. iBridge,IIRC, got them VERY close, by just a few milliseconds in my last test...minor echo effect between livingroom unit and bedroom unit when standing in hallway...still sufficient for most needs.

edit: sorry..it was Cidero I was thinking about!!
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

jradi
Topic Author

Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:07 pm

I understand the issue with buffers, etc. But I want this feature and I prefer Roku over slim devices or itunes.

Frankly, I just want Roku to come out with a new device that works with my existing NAS and Twonky library. I've been holding off on buying a platform because the only one that really seems to satisfy my requirements is Sonos, but it seems like a Roku solution would be preferable.

beeka

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:20 am

wideasleep1 wrote:
Due to buffers, I doubt Rokus will ever be able to achieve true sync. iBridge,IIRC, got them VERY close, by just a few milliseconds in my last test...

The presence of buffers is not a problem, per se, but Roku would need to provide control of the buffers for proper syncing. From what others forum members have said in the past, the Slimserver implements syncing by telling the squeezeboxes to buffer the data but not play it. Once all devices have filled their buffers the server issues a play command, causing playback to start at the same time. If Roku implemented a similar feature I'm sure a third-party application would appear very quickly.

I manged to get brief-lived syncing when using a slimserver + roku setup, but it was painful and lost sync after a song or two. To be fair, the slimserver version I used was a few releases on from the ones roku recommended at the time.

Steve.

sacarmic

Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:36 am

I second this! I would love to have this feature. I won't mind a slight delay as well!

Scott

ncc1515

Re: Sync Across Multiple Rooms and Rokus

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:32 pm

If sonos can sync (perfectly in our house, across 4 devices) then why not roku?