4 (19%)
No-I think it's just right as it is
5 (24%)

Total votes: 21

wideasleep1
Topic Author

Site Design

Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:18 pm

I know it's new to a lot of folks, but any chance for RadioRoku to get a cleaner interface, and slicken up it's design a bit?
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

Roku_alo

Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:15 pm

When you are locked in to the RadioRoku page, you can minimize and move the parts around. You will then get your personal design when you come back. That´s pretty smart in my view.

alanmc

Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:38 am

I think 'wideasleep1' is to be congratulated for putting-forward the suggestion of streamlining the design/layout of the RadioRoku interface page - -

However, as at 10:30 GMT today, I note that only 6 votes have been cast out of 108 'views' of this topic.

In my book that shows a somewhat apathetic attitude ! ! !

(And Yes, I voted "Yes-let's discuss options")

RokuMark

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:21 pm

wideasleep1:
get a cleaner interface, and slicken up it's design a bit?

What do you have in mind?

wideasleep1
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:29 am

RokuMark wrote:
wideasleep1:
get a cleaner interface, and slicken up it's design a bit?

What do you have in mind?

WH'ELL...since you asked! :P

I see wayy too much blue. Blue on blue with blue type.....boring. Why not mix it up a little? I know the tendency was to match Roku's 'theme' colors, but c'mon now. My wife says it looks like a site designed 'by dudes, for dudes'...so there. :) I think it looks too much like Windoze. Take a look here: http://arstechnica.com/index.ars
COLOR! Don't get me wrong...blue happens to be our (wife too) favorite color, but here at ARS we have shades of grey, blended with black text, white text, and COLOR. Why limit yourselves to a single or (gasp!) two colors? You CAN use several colors to define objects to get visual separation for different functions, or widgets. Title bars needn't be soft-rounded, be edgy blocks..but with color, and a snazzy typestyle. I think the site lacks creativity as is. "Sterile and Robo' according to wife...but also must admit that we are both a little too wrapped up in aesthetics! :)

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

adykes

Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:15 pm

Way to much white space. Remove the ad one liners below each and every box, or atleast cut way way down on the spacing so they dont take up as much room.

Some method of cutting down on the commands- it just feels really clunky. I have to go through way to many menus to check out a station and to throw it on the radio if I like it. Maybe a drag and drop method: have one box be a model of the radio and the presets and you can drag stations you like over there.

Also the searching is split into far too many categories- why are they in separate boxes instead of features of a more powerful single search engine? Add a method of adding tags to a station in the search engine to help identify the content. The 'volunteer' thing is a good idea, but id do more of it around stations I know and when I am already in the place where the tags can be added.

Roku radio is a good idea, just could be better executed.

RokuMark

Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:07 pm

Maybe a drag and drop method: have one box be a model of the radio and the presets and you can drag stations you like over there.

You can already drag and drop to the SoundBridge widget or presets. If you drop in the display it will play it. If you drop on a preset it will store it. The same goes for favorites, drag and drop a station on favorites and it is stored.

big_novak

LAME!!! Can't move presets to "My Favorites"

Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:51 pm

So I'm already upset that the "Presets" option on my M2000 is buried way down the menu when playing Internet Radio. Now, at the urging of a Roku CSR after I complained about the new menu setup, I signed up for Radio Roku to use the new "My Favorites" feature.

Guess what? I CAN'T TRANSFER MY SAVED PRESETS TO MY FAVORITES!!! What a stupid site. I'm sure you guys did this on purpose (I can drag and drop stations from other "widgets" to my favorites) b/c you only want ppl using radio stations Roku has deemed reliable or whatever, but I don't want to have to re-lookup ALL the presets I already setup and saved on my M2000 JUST to get them transferred to "My Favorites." What a stooopid design.

Wake up, Roku, and stop making my M2000 MORE DIFFICULT to use.

Roku_alo

Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:55 pm

To big_novak:
who said
Guess what? I CAN'T TRANSFER MY SAVED PRESETS TO MY FAVORITES!!! What a stupid site.

Preset and Favorits are totally different formats.

A favorit is just a "mark" on a RadoiRoku internet station telling the device that it's a favorit.

A preset is a full link to allmost anything: playlists, URL´s to anywhere on the net or on your own Media servers, and links to RadioRoku stations.

They are not interchangeable.

wideasleep1
Topic Author

Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:49 pm

I think Novak means that the My Soundbridge widget should have the same menu as Top Stations/Audio Browser,etc...in that you can save stations as Favs or Presets just like the other widgets.