Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Would you like to select or browse by bitrate?

Yes!
24 (86%)
No, not important
4 (14%)

Total votes: 28

SunnySekot
Topic Author

Show me Bitrate Information and let me sort by it!!

Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:46 pm

:shock: When browsing the Radio Roku Lists you find the following categories:
Name, Genre, Location, Language, Rating and Popularity

So far, so good, but why cant I find the most important information to select a station: the quality of the stream: Codec (WMA/MP3/AAC) and Bitrate (kb/s)??
:evil:
And what is much worse: I have to make 4 clicks to get to that important information! For me this is a really bad thing, because when I want to use only stations which have maybe a bitrate of at last 112kb/s I have to check everry station I am interested with this 4 clicks! It lasts hours!

You can see that it can be done really user friendly when you use Winamp5!
take a look at the shoutcast-listings. You find the categories "type" (wma,mp3,aac+) and Bitrate.
And, what ist really fantastig: you can sort the list by this categories!
:idea:
If Radio Roku would have this feature, I would use it as only Radio-Ressource - and it would really have a chance to become the best Radio-Information Site on the web!
8)
Furthermore: This feature is also missing on the Roku Radio-Snooper
and I miss the information also on my Soundbridge:I cant see the streaming quality, but I'd like to!
-------------------------------------------
by the way: I love the Soundbridge!!

danme

Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:27 pm

Or maybe you would be satisfied with an "minimum audio quality level" option, e.g. perfect, good, medium and low? (That would automatically sort out stations not reaching your limit, and you could still use the unit as intended.)

Roku_alo

Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:36 pm

If you are looking for talk radios it´s also nice to select only low bitrate, as some of them are not marked as "talk" radios.

F.R David: "Words don´t come easy, to me..." :lol:

SunnySekot
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:20 am

Roku_alo wrote:
If you are looking for talk radios it´s also nice to select only low bitrate, as some of them are not marked as "talk" radios.

Yes, thats true!

As a see it, the database stores multiple URLs and streams for every RadioStation.
So it might be a good idea to add the browsing categories
"maximum bitrate" and "minimum bitrate" into the senderlist.
Maybe a tricky thing to program, but I think it would be worth the effort!

RokuMark

Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:52 pm

Do you mean on the "widgets" to show "maximum bitrate" and "minimum bitrate"? Or are you suggesting we add it to the click/station menu popup?

SunnySekot
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:20 pm

RokuMark wrote:
Do you mean on the "widgets" to show "maximum bitrate" and "minimum bitrate"? Or are you suggesting we add it to the click/station menu popup?

Well in the widgets this information would be wonderfull, of course. But I was originally trying to suggest this information to be shown in the full list of stations, that you get after clicking on "View all" in the widget. In this View-All list you have the above mentioned 6 categories and you can sort the list by these categories and I am suggesting to add here the two sortable categories "Max. Bitstream" and "Min.Bitstream".
Thanx for listening! :)

kenzo

Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:33 am

I'd also like bitrate info as well. I usually select my stations based first on genre and then on bitrate.

Thanks,
kenzo

yves

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:22 am

Having the bitrate is important especially if you are listening to classical radios on a good system, so +1 for having this information readily available!
Cheers,