Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

fwj
Topic Author

Need a "Play on Roku" button next to each station

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:22 am

The RadioRoku widgets that list stations have a green arrow next to each station for a quick "Play on PC" action. Very nice.

But hey, the RadioRoku interface is all about helping us use our Roku's, right? And to play a station on a SoundBridge I have to click the station then wait and then move down to select the SoundBridge. There are often many stations I want to sample quickly and those extra steps make the SoundBridge seem like a second class citizen. (And many times a station will not play using the green arrow because the default URL is appropriate for a SoundBridge but not for my browser/MediaPlayer. EDIT: An example would be the primary entry for BlueMars - Cryosleep (ID: 271). The default URL is missing the " http://" from the front; thus it plays on the Roku but not on my PC.)

Also, I have 2 Roku's and even though both have been detected and are "managed" only one shows up in the pop-up dialog when I click on a station.

So here are my requests:
1) Please add a 'Roku blue' arrow next to each green arrow to launch the station on our SoundBridge.
2) Make each detected SoundBridge appear as a choice in the pop-up.
3) Even better, add one blue arrow button per detected SoundBridge (there's plenty of space).

Thanks!

fwj
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:48 pm

Bump.
Hello Roku guys. Any thoughts on this request?

sf

I agree with these requests

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:44 am

I agree with these requests and think a "play on roku" arrow makes absolute sense. The play on pc makes marketing sense for the still Roku-less user but I think a second row of play arrows would serve to further whet their curiosity in Roku. The Roku user should also have the luxury of a one step play button. Try another bump.

alanmc

Mods to widgets !

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:09 am

Conceptually I agree with what is being suggested here, and I would certainly welcome this, but have you also considered the associated ramifications to same ?
> If you are fortunate enough to own several SoundBridge units, then the Software Development Engineers would need to also add the availability to select which of your units you wished to play . . . . and thus I feel this may remain on the ‘wish-list’ for quite some time to come.

sf

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:17 pm

Mr. alanmc,

I believe the "associated ramifications" are a non-issue because the player which is selected in the "My Soundbridge" widget already follows as the device choice in the pop-up bubble when a station link is selected.
The new arrow could behave the same way. This is why I feel this change could be readily implemented. Am I missing something?

RokuMark

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:50 pm

AlanMC is right. We already looked at making a change, not so easy.

It is on our list.

fwj
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:26 am

Engineers would need to also add the availability to select which of your units you wished to play

Yes, that would be optimal, but don't skip the whole request because part of it is difficult.
The popup dialog currently defaults to some Roku unit.
Why not at least add a button to perform that function?
Later on you can make it configurable, or add more buttons, once you figure out how to address a given unit.

aann

Agreed.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:25 pm

A one-click "Play on Soundbridge" button was the most obvious missing feature (to me) when I jumped onto RadioRoku as soon as it started up. (There's an old post from me asking for it around here somewhere.)

Even if the button had to handle multiple devices by turning into pop-up list for users with more than one, it would still be an elegant solution. And, much better for those who only have one SoundBridge.

Keep up the good work, though!