Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

sf
Topic Author

Genre headings need work

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:20 pm

Please tell me how the genre headings are chosen and how it is determined where each station is placed. Some headings like "jazz" and "latin" are too broad and in desperate need of sub headings like Latin jazz, lite jazz classic, fusion crooners etc. Latin is also way too broad. Mexican music alone has several distinct styles while cuban music and flamenco are both latin but really different. Can or will users ever be able to assert editorial contol on the genre scheme?

Thanks for all the work on this maturing killer app.

alanmc

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:53 am

It would appear that just as “Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholderâ€

sf
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:07 pm

I will agree that genre classification probably should not be an open editorial process but genre categories are needed. Some stations can clearly be listed in multiple areas. Perhaps "format" is a better term when applying classification to radio stations. Yahoo radio for example is able to list 12 entries in the jazz/blue "genre". Genre is apparently in the ear of that decider. If a station were to play both mexican ranchera music and say salsa music that would be akin to a station playing say adult contemporary and rap. Oh, if someone thought Santana is cuban then they must be musically challenged.
Cheers.
Last edited by sf on Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danme

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:55 pm

For my own music server I use the genre field for classifying "Children", "Soundtracks", "Foreign", "National" etc.... So it's very useful nowadays... :wink: