Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dave2007
Topic Author

Browse by States & Cities

Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:34 pm

Would be nice if we could browse by States and Cities...anyone know if this might be added in the near future ?

RokuMark

Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:57 pm

Why do you need this?

I live in Boise, ID, I want all Boise only?

I live in Chichester, West Sussex, UK I want all Chichester only?

Explain where you are going?

Not everyone lives in the USA

wideasleep1

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:10 pm

It's not unusual to be interested in what local stations might be streaming without having to look up specific radio call signs, for example.
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

RokuMark

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:39 pm

OK Thanks. Now I understand.

stevee

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:57 pm

For US listeners, browsing by State and then major Cities makes a lot of sense.

As a UK expat living in the US now, I don't know how that logic would work for overseas countries.

In European countries where the population is more dense, the radio stations tend to cover a region (e.g NW England) and not just a city (e.g Manchester). Someone living in a region would have to check a whole bunch of cities (assuming the town where the broadcaster is based is the home city) to locate the stations that he can pick up on the FM dial.

But for the US.... This could be quite a cool feature.

Or I could switch my receiver over to FM and listen the old fashioned way....
M1000, M1001, NSLU2, Firefly, Win7, Slimserver,
uSirius

RokuMark

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:06 pm

If I am not mistaken you can kind of do this already, try this.

In the search widget try: san francisco

or try: london

All searches I believe use the country/location entries also.

I think this all comes down to an advanced search widget as has been discussed before.

gcd0865

Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 am

This thread is suggesting browsing by U.S. states (and perhaps cities as well) using the "Browse Locations" feature on the Soundbridge itself (using only the SB remote), as opposed to on Radio Roku through the computer, right? If so, I agree, as scrolling through the U.S. listing on the Soundbridge itself has become cumbersome, when searching for stations from a particular U.S. location (which I often do).

wideasleep1

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:20 am

Perhaps this could be better-accomplished by ABC-DEF grouping for both location/country/states and cities on the RR side?
Then as it was, then again it will be

An' though the course may change sometimes,

rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

gcd0865

Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:38 pm

Hi All:

I suppose this is my near-annual bump suggesting browsing for stations by U.S. states directly using the SoundBridge remote. Wanted to listen to live hurricane information from Louisiana over the weekend, but scrolling through 5500 U.S. stations looking for a few was kind of a drag.

I'd like to suggest either replacing the top level "USA" browsing field, or alternatively adding a submenu that appears after selecting "USA" from the main browse menu, with the following:

USA-All [keep at top, for those who want all 5500 stations to load at once]
USA-Alabama
USA-Alaska
USA-Arizona
USA-Arkansas
etc.

Thanks in advance for your consideration...

gcd0865

Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:34 pm

Just thought of another option - the top-level browse menu could be supplemented (instead of entirely replaced) to include both the present "USA" and right below it a new menu called "USA By State." Selecting the "USA By State" would then bring up the state-by-state menu, as follows:

USA-Alabama
USA-Alaska
USA-Arizona
USA-Arkansas
etc.

This way, the original top-level access for all 5500 USA stations at once would not be disturbed for those who prefer that access with a single remote click.