Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dupondt
Topic Author

Genre and style

Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:29 am

I'm not very happy with the "Genre"-field for a station, as this refers mainly to the musical style or "colour" (except for the "Talk"-entries and "Variety"). I know that this is a standard tag for MP3-files, but for radio stations, wouldn't it be more practical to have a "Genre" that defines the sort of programme?

Let me give an example:

1. Full featured stations with a mix of news, music, magazines etc.
2. pure musical stations
3. pure news/sports stations
4. etc

Additionally one should introduce a "Musical Style"- or "Musical Colour"-field, where the actual "Genre"-information would go.

Immodest wish, I know. And even more immodest, I suppose, when it comes to realize this in the SB's firmware. But as we say in Germany: The better is the enemy of the good :D .

Greetings from Germany
Volker

alanmc

It gives me concern !

Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:00 pm

The topic of “Genreâ€

dupondt
Topic Author

Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:07 am

I'm afraid I caused a misunderstanding here, because I didn't make myself as clear as I wanted do: With "pure musical stations" I meant stations that stream music, and nothing but music, regardless of the style of that music.

The problem I see with the actual "Genre" field is that on one hand you can use it to classify the style ("Blues", "Rock", "Jazz", etc.) of the music the station tends to play, on the other you can put in sorts of overall station programming ("Talk", "All News", "Variety", etc.).

To resolve this "dilemma" :wink:, I suggested an additional classification of stations by "format" (that's the technical term the radio people in Germany use, I don't know if this expression is common in English).

Greetings from Germany
Volker

wideasleep1

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:53 pm

RadioRoku appears to follow, more or less, conventional wisdom wrt genres much like Winamp/Shoutcast...and while certainly imperfect, at least help categorize stations for easy comparison. I think the key word here would be 'variety', if the station programming has a mix of talk/interviews/music,etc. Since 'variety' already exists as a separate genre, perhaps if the station can be classified by any predominate music genre it plays, perhaps say 'Jazz/Variety', or similar? Many public/NPR radio stations could potentially be better classified in this manner, and it would help distinguish a true music-only Jazz station from a mix channel.
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!